• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 limited S Stereo tweeters

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wasn't sure if I posted this in the right area, so mods feel free to put it elsewhere. It is stereo related and model specific?
Is it just me or are the tweeters in the wake tower extremely bright on the '15 Limited S?....like bleeding from the ears bright? I replaced the 6.5 coaxials with Polk mm651um's throughout but now looking at either disabling the tweeters in the tower or finding a way to cut power to them. JL sub and amp going in in a couple weeks and I'm hoping it will help balance it out some, but those tweeters are almost unbearable at high levels. Certainly not going to increase power to them. Is this specific to the installed speaker or just the nature of the component tweeter?What has everybody else done? Or is it just me? Appreciate any input from you guys that are stereo gurus or who have made improvements to the stock system...... @Williamsone46 , @David Analog , @Earmark Marine

Last edited by a moderator:

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I feel the same about them in the 2014, I just figured I have old crappy ears that don't know what's suppose to sound good. I'm interested to see what others suggest.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
YES... i had to turn the treble WAY down to even enjoy the radio at all while underway.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I feel the same about them in the 2014, I just figured I have old crappy ears that don't know what's suppose to sound good. I'm interested to see what others suggest.
I disconnected mine completely. Never looked back. I just turn the cans up slightly while underway and it seems to do the trick.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@steined , would you do it again?
For $60, yes. For anything north of $100, no. It certainly toned down whatever tweeter they had stock and sounds better, but I might have invested the time in mid-cabin 6x9s or 6.5" instead if I were to do it over.

cut2please

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2014 has the tweeters in the tower and they are horrible. thinking about taking the crossovers out and using the same wires to run some tower speakers.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ended up disconnecting the tweeters, no matter what I did they were too bright. JL amp on the coaxials handles the highs just fine now.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Totally fad, smoke and mirrors, call it what you will. But separating the highs from the mids is a good idea in a concert hall. In a boat, it is just distracting and not replicating the music as the music was produced. So without an EQ to fix it, I would change the coaxials to good speakers and disable those tweets. Just me, but I like it ala natural!

Ric Moseley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was thinking of replacing them with flush mount speakers pointing straight down and then bypassing the crossovers. That way the driver and co-pilot can hear better at speed. But, I am having a hard time finding something. I was thinking of just using 8 ohm patio speakers (yes I know it should be 4) and wedge them in between the tower bars. I can't find any speaker enclosure that will work with marine speakers on a tower other than ones that point straight back and hang in the way and don't provide sound to the driver. Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VGFKW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00378KMF0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was thinking of replacing them with flush mount speakers pointing straight down and then bypassing the crossovers. That way the driver and co-pilot can hear better at speed. But, I am having a hard time finding something. I was thinking of just using 8 ohm patio speakers (yes I know it should be 4) and wedge them in between the tower bars. I can't find any speaker enclosure that will work with marine speakers on a tower other than ones that point straight back and hang in the way and don't provide sound to the driver. Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VGFKW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00378KMF0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Personally I would unhook the tweeters in the tower and mount another set of coaxials mid cabin. Should accomplishe what you're looking for and not lose any head room.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry but have never got around to taking photos of the finished project. We've got construction going on and I haven't had the boat out for a few weeks now, if we get on the water anytime soon I'll try to get some photos. I'm pretty sure @txav8r installed another pair of coaxials in the cockpit area and he has a nice write up on it.

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How do you disconnect them? At the speaker or at the amp? Can you use the same wires for tower speakers?
Did you end up disconnecting the tower tweeters? if so how? I have the same crapping ears!!

Ric Moseley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Ric Moseley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They fit nicely between the tower tubes and point criss-cross (port speaker points to starboard and vice versa). I think I am going to use zip ties as a first pass and then make it more permanent if it sounds good. I will take pics.