• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 vs 2017/18 212x

JJJJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello I’m new to the forum and new to jet boats.

I am looking to upgrade to the Yamaha 212X line of boats. Currently looking for something between 2015-2018. I know the boat changed in 2017 with the addition of the articulating Keel, bigger ballast, etc. Just wondering what people thInk of the changes.

I have never owned a jet boat before, looking at the Yamahas as there are two dealers in the area. I like the idea of the “Swiss Army” type of boat. Something you could cruise around the lake with, go fishing, but still enjoy all of the water sports. Grew up as a die hard skier, and skied behind anything. Just got up on a wakeboard the other day for the first time in 20 years, and my Kids like the idea of surfing, but no ones ever tired.

Currently looking at used boats as new is not an option, just wondering if the slight increase in price on the newer 2017 and up boats is worth it. Thanks.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2015 212x we are actually selling now maybe 😬 I have it listed but we haven’t 100% committed to going to a wake boat. The 2015 has a rear swept tower which is kind of a pain to lower compared to the newer forward swept towers. The newer 212x have hard tanks not sure of the exact weight, but if they aren’t “big” enough you really can’t swap them out of anything else like we did. Also on the newer ones it is 2 captains chairs vs the J seating. We personally love the J seating and feel it makes the cockpit more open. The keel I don’t think is a deal breaker? Others may chime in on that. We have cobra fins on ours and handles just fine.

Good luck!

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2015 212x we are actually selling now maybe 😬 I have it listed but we haven’t 100% committed to going to a wake boat. The 2015 has a rear swept tower which is kind of a pain to lower compared to the newer forward swept towers. The newer 212x have hard tanks not sure of the exact weight, but if they aren’t “big” enough you really can’t swap them out of anything else like we did. Also on the newer ones it is 2 captains chairs vs the J seating. We personally love the J seating and feel it makes the cockpit more open. The keel I don’t think is a deal breaker? Others may chime in on that. We have cobra fins on ours and handles just fine.

Good luck!
I have a 2014 212x and can agree on the rear swept tower is a bit of a “hassle” I fold mine at the end of every weekend to fit it in my garage and the pisser is I can’t wrench in the engine bay with it folded... kinda defeats the ac in my garage... but I don’t know if I could get a forward swept tower “ newer 212x” in there either, so for now it’s the devil I know lol. The hinged seating is nice on the newer models, also 2017 and newer the Yamaha wake booster works. Swinging wake board racks would be nice as well. Synced throttles would be a nice factory function too “ I believe you get those with the newer model. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2014 212x and can agree on the rear swept tower is a bit of a “hassle” I fold mine at the end of every weekend to fit it in my garage and the pisser is I can’t wrench in the engine bay with it folded... kinda defeats the ac in my garage... but I don’t know if I could get a forward swept tower “ newer 212x” in there either, so for now it’s the devil I know lol. The hinged seating is nice on the newer models, also 2017 and newer the Yamaha wake booster works. Swinging wake board racks would be nice as well. Synced throttles would be a nice factory function too “ I believe you get those with the newer model. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.
I think the throttle sync is only in the 242x I don’t believe the 212x has the fly by wire technology. I forgot about hinged seats those would be nice. The swivel board racks are available... if we keep our 212x I’ll be buying those over the winter.

JJJJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We specifically went with the new design for all the changes...

Forward swept tower

Hinged seating

Articulating Keel

Connext Screen

Polk Audio System “Rocks!”

Color Schemes were way better

Enhanced sound deadening

Improved ballast system (personal opinion)

New design Locking Clean Out Plugs

Better teak style carpet & swim platform matting

New seating layout and dual swivel/reclining capt’ chairs

Courtesy Interior Lighting

Preferred New Bimini Design

Crazy amounts of storage (Any Yamaha)

I’m sure there is more that I’m leaving out... But there was definitely more value to us in the newer hull design and changes...