• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha 212X - Wakesurfing?

KevinMc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just bought a 2015 Yamaha 212x last night. It comes with two ballast bags totaling 750lbs. I'm thinking of adding a third one to the center section. Has anyone had any luck wakesurfing behind a 212x? Do I need to invest in a wedge of any sort or will the 212x work with no problems? Salesman said this is all I need and I've seen video's of success. Thoughts?

Devin Jensen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Id say trial and error, depending on how much of a wave your looking for, I would use it as is to get used to and if you think you want more wave get another ballast.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats!

All I can say is check out what @bobbie gets for a wave behind her 212x, you will be impressed with what can be accomplished. Do a bit of searching here and you will see her posts/pictures and info about how she has things setup for surfing.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Get use to surfing first, holding onto the rope.
Then go from there.
We've successfully surfed it with just the stock ballast and people ballast. Get everyone over to 1 side, and it's doable.

But yeah - if you catch the bug and want bigger - you'll need more ballast and the Wake Wedge.

KevinMc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks everyone.
Congrats!

All I can say is check out what @bobbie gets for a wave behind her 212x, you will be impressed with what can be accomplished. Do a bit of searching here and you will see her posts/pictures and info about how she has things setup for surfing.
Wow, that's an impressive wave. I think I'll try it out in the spring and see what action I get with a stock setup. We typically have tons of people out on the weekend so adding people as ballast shouldn't be an issue. Thanks @RightStuff !

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stock ballast is enough. We added the Wake Wedge.

KevinMc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stock ballast is enough. We added the Wake Wedge.
I've read a few people refer to the wake wedge. Is there a preferred vendor or is that the vendor?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@KevinMc You can surf the 212X with the stock ballast but it is mushy. The Wake Wedge knocks down the froth and shapes the wave better. A number of guys feel you need more ballast but my opinion is you fill the boat with friends and you will be fine.