• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 x speaker problems

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
our swim deck speaker don't work. Our bow speakers barely make any sound. Muffelled. The tower speakers are intermittent. Very frustrating as dealer is 7hrs away. Even got a local stereo guy give a quick look.
Is there something I may be missing. Set conext balance in the middle. Checked amp plug ins jacks. Not sure what else I can check.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First thing I would do is to pull each speaker and see if their connections on the backs are still connected.
Then I would be checking the status of the amps, and the connections there.
Adjusting the amps is a Royal PITA-as Yamaha put the controls facing away from where you could possibly see them! I discovered that there is a button (or switch-don't recall) that changes the number of channels (or inputs) that was in the wrong position on mine....flipped that, and a pair of mine came on.

OK...I just googled it...

See the 4CH/ST switch...if that is in 4CH mode you'll lose a pair of speakers on each amp as they only have one set of input connected.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you. The switch on amp was one of the problems. The swim deck speaker work now. I still have an issue. The tower speakers intermittent don't work. Sometimes they both work, sometimes one. Some times neither work. Took to stereo place. Gave them a n hour but did not find the problem.
They stopped working while they were looking at it.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. The switch on amp was one of the problems. The swim deck speaker work now. I still have an issue. The tower speakers intermittent don't work. Sometimes they both work, sometimes one. Some times neither work. Took to stereo place. Gave them a n hour but did not find the problem.
They stopped working while they were looking at it.
I must have missed your reply somehow....I assume you figured this out? What was the issue?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Brad Dunn also just a heads up, but a few of us, myself included, have wired in another amp and used 2 channels to directly power the sound bar on its own (it is powered in series with the cock pit speakers from the factory). This made a HUGE output difference to the sound bar!

Here is how I did the wiring (the purple lines represent where I cut the stock wires and connected them together and inserted new wires for the tower):