• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR 240 speaker replacement

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wanting to replace my stock (garbage speakers) on my 2016 ar 240. Not a fan of drilling or cutting the stock holes. Really like the JL speakers and also the JL tower speaker and want to stay with one brand for everything (amps-speakers). Anyone with some idea's, pics, ect...? Thank you everyone in this forum, tons of great info!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Most recently @wallacerb and @Drift Away have been the most complete in documenting their recent upgrades. One w an AR and the other an SX 240. Both of their threads have lots of pics.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most recently @wallacerb and @Drift Away have been the most complete in documenting their recent upgrades. One w an AR and the other an SX 240. Both of their threads have lots of pics.
I can send more pics and specific info on my speakers and tower pods if needed....

@wallacerb.
Rob Wallace

Attachments

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob, you are the man for sure. Ive watched all the videos you post! My question is is there a speaker that i can put in that will not require me to cut the stock holes or make them bigger? Im fine with running new wire and thanks to rob and many others on here have a good understanding on the starboard piece and wiring up the amps.

Also while i have robs attention, what type of wire did you use when wiring up the led's? Did you purchase from amazon? https://jetboaters.net/members/812/

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
JL audio mx 650 is the best replacement speaker you can get and fit in the factory 5 inch holes (there are multiple grill styles available). JL audio amps are the best marine amps you can get period. JL is not cheap but they are the best marine audio gear out there except ... tower speakers. Their tower speaker are great for close behind the boat but of at the end of a 70 ft wakeboard line nothing beats wet sounds rev10. Nothing else even comes close.

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you thats a huge help! The mx 650's will fit perfect? Those are 6.5 in speakers? I know the wet sounds are the best, i will check out both before pulling the trigger. Im one of thise people that everything (speakers) has to match up. Thanks for the fast input!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you thats a huge help! The mx 650's will fit perfect? Those are 6.5 in speakers? I know the wet sounds are the best, i will check out both before pulling the trigger. Im one of thise people that everything (speakers) has to match up. Thanks for the fast input!
Id put my JL's up against wet sounds anyday of the week. I know alot of people on here are high on them but i think for the money JL win hands down. Here are my 6.5 i replaced he placed who placed be placed replaced in my stock holes with out cutting. You can get them in white or the titanium like i got. This is what mine sounds like at about 75%
20170204_153258.jpg

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob, you are the man for sure. Ive watched all the videos you post! My question is is there a speaker that i can put in that will not require me to cut the stock holes or make them bigger? Im fine with running new wire and thanks to rob and many others on here have a good understanding on the starboard piece and wiring up the amps.

Also while i have robs attention, what type of wire did you use when wiring up the led's? Did you purchase from amazon? https://jetboaters.net/members/812/
I am glad that I could help you out bro.. everyone so far is right, dont expect great things out of mediocre products. If you want a quality sound then suck it up and buy the quality product, you will never regret it... you WILL NOT get away from having to cut larger holes if you want quality sound... no way around it dude... its not hard, just intimidating. You can do it...

LED wires..... I used a generic wire set from Lowes.. pix below.. nothing fancy and about $40 for 500 feet. LED wires are generally very thin or high guage becaue of the low draw of power...
20170308_204805.jpg 20170308_204816.jpg

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am glad that I could help you out bro.. everyone so far is right, dont expect great things out of mediocre products. If you want a quality sound then suck it up and buy the quality product, you will never regret it... you WILL NOT get away from having to cut larger holes if you want quality sound... no way around it dude... its not hard, just intimidating. You can do it...

LED wires..... I used a generic wire set from Lowes.. pix below.. nothing fancy and about $40 for 500 feet. LED wires are generally very thin or high guage becaue of the low draw of power...
View attachment 52425 View attachment 52426
Big sound takes big speakers

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got a good deal on 3 pairs of wet sounds XS 650 speakers for 399.00 and the SYN 4 amp for 315.00 from creative audio.

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for the help! Rob thank u for the pics! Last question, @Drift Away did you put the jl650's in the stock holes or did you cutout and put bigger 7 or 7.7's in? The video is great and it sounds awesome, wait for @wallacerb to post a video of his actually making some noise!

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for the help! Rob thank u for the pics! Last question, @Drift Away did you put the jl650's in the stock holes or did you cutout and put bigger 7 or 7.7's in? The video is great and it sounds awesome, wait for @wallacerb to post a video of his actually making some noise!
Video is coming... Florida cold and wind has prevented us from going out... ill put a video this weekend.. .

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I took out the stock stuff and replaced them with the JL's. No cutting needed for those. I has to cut to add my other pair of 6.5s amd my 7.7s in the back. I ride next to @wallacerb about everytime we go out being he lives 4 doors down from me. His shit is loud but i can give him a run for his money. Either one of us fire up to 80%+ its gonna take a special kind of crazy to out do them.

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Video is coming... Florida cold and wind has prevented us from going out... ill put a video this weekend.. .
Haha cold and wind, in sw pa going back to the 20-30's this weekend and winds up to 50mph. Ill trade you! Still over 2 months away until boating season up here!

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took out the stock stuff and replaced them with the JL's. No cutting needed for those. I has to cut to add my other pair of 6.5s amd my 7.7s in the back. I ride next to @wallacerb about everytime we go out being he lives 4 doors down from me. His shit is loud but i can give him a run for his money. Either one of us fire up to 80%+ its gonna take a special kind of crazy to out do them.
I figured you guys live close, i saw you boat in some of his video's. Thanks for taking the time to respond and also all the great video's on youtube!

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha cold and wind, in sw pa going back to the 20-30's this weekend and winds up to 50mph. Ill trade you! Still over 2 months away until boating season up here!
NOT. ON. YOUR. LIFE. LMFAO.. i retired to Florida for a reason... im originally from Ohio..... aint going back, never ever ever.....

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NOT. ON. YOUR. LIFE. LMFAO.. i retired to Florida for a reason... im originally from Ohio..... aint going back, never ever ever.....
I dont blame you for a second.. THANK you for your service! Enjoy retirement, keeping make those videos and costing me more and more $$$ @wallacerb

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Steen1717 I will mirror what @Mainah said. If you do not want to cut out the holes, go with the JL mx650. You will be impressed. Of course you can get more sound with bigger speakers, but the 6.5's are plenty loud enough. I'm running 8, and honestly don't know how I could use any more sound. I guess if I was trying to win an audio competition or something, then I could. I'm not so what I have works. I am about to add two Rev 10's to the tower though, so that should take it to another level!