• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR240 budget stereo upgrade

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are ways to upgrade your stereo system that might be easier... such as taking it to your dealer or stereo shop and letting them have at it - maybe even a slampak... But if you're like me - you don't mind getting your hands dirty and saving a buck is nice too.

I went about this stereo upgrade in 3 steps basically - but since I ordered all the gear at the same time I was committed to going all the way. You don't have to go all the way, or you could take these steps as your budget permits. Each step brings new life to the stereo and are all quite worth while. Of course there is no limit to what you can do, and I'm no stereo freak so my goals were somewhat limited to upgrading the existing system.

First step was to swap out the original 6.5" coax speakers. I liked the look of the polk audio speakers and they got a great review online so I got the MM651UM speakers. From amazon you're about $300 for 2 pair. They're an interesting design as they're situated like a coaxial speaker but they're not a traditional coaxial. The tweeters are mounted in the grille separated from the main cone.

Take your time drilling the holes for these speakers as the grilles are timed by the mounting holes. The rears are mounted in fiberglass and so long as you're careful not to strip the holes, and don't drill the holes too large you should be fine screwing into the fiberglass... but up front the speakers are mounted into thin plastic, I used the clip on nuts that came with the speakers. You'll have to enlarge the original opening a little to use those clip on nuts. I used a dremel tool and it was quick and easy to just cut out a little material at each nut. On deck power alone these speakers are a nice upgrade from the stockers. They make more bass for sure, and fill in the midrange and highs nicely. They may be a little on the bright side, but that's ok depending on where you're seated. You could stop here (but I wouldn't).

IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1780.JPG

The next step was to install the amplifier. I didn't put a ton of thought into this - I knew I wanted something marine rated to stand up to the wet environment and stuck to the polk audio theme. I got the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 (about $300 on amazon). It has a basic equalizer or filters built in, and a remote subwoofer level dial. I turned on the HPF for both fronts and rears since the 6.5" speakers don't claim frequency response below 45hz anyhow (and I was installing a sub as well). 20 feet of power cable was nearly perfect to run from the battery compartment, across the engine bay and up the starboard side of the boat. I secured the power cable with zip ties and made sure that previously installed zip ties were in no position to abrade or cut into the power cable insulation, also make sure the engine hatch latch won't reach your wiring. If you're more concerned you could wrap the power cable in split loom. I like to prevent chafing from occurring in the first place - if it can't move it shouldn't chafe. For the power cable I bought 2 amplifier installation kits. This worked out to be less than buying 4 gauge wire from west marine at $3.00 / foot, and the install kits included fuses and ring terminals. PLANET AUDIO 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit (4GPK) $30 each at Frys These kits have 20 feet of 4 gauge in red, and 3 feet in grey, you can use that to connect to fuses or a circuit breaker. I used a 100 amp waterproof circuit breaker in the battery compartment from west marine. 285 Series, Thermal Circuit Breaker, 100A I shrink wrapped the ends of the red cable in black to designate the ground wire.
1395142107-PA_D5000.5_PANEL.jpg IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1847.JPGIMG_1855.JPG

From tap plastics I had a piece of 1/2" thick white starboard material cut to 27" x 13". This size allowed me to tie into both sides and the bottom of the helm electronics box. I mounted (5) 10-24 studs to the fiberglass and drilled slightly larger holes in the starboard panel to it could easily slip on and off the studs for easy install and removal. It's held in place with nylocs and washers. It's hella stout, and can be removed in a few seconds. I put in an access port to the diagnostics plugs and holes for the cabling for a neat and simple install. All the holes though the mounting panel are chamfered as to not to cut into the wiring. Again you can split loom this if you like. To make wiring the speakers simple I used a Metra 70-7303 wiring harness. About $6 from amazon. I used a bandsaw to cut the unused half off the speaker wire plug and it's just what the doctor ordered to connect to the boat's speaker wiring harness. The blue wire coming out of the Polk head unit (as is mentioned in the polk's manual) is the amplifier trigger lead so extend and connect this to the amp and everything will still power off when you turn off the main battery switch even though the amp's circuit breaker is tied directly to the house battery. If you close off the bottom of the helm's electronics/cabling opening like I did - you will want to re-route the cup holder's drain through the steering cable opening. Secure this hose the best you can - you don't want water dribbling directly into your electronics. (I'll revisit all the cup holders someday so they don't dribble into the boat at all.) Before attaching wires to the amp in the screw down terminals I soldered all the wire ends with some non-acid flux and solder. If you screw down directly on high strand wire you'll end up cutting off a bunch of strands - that's messy.

IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1866.JPG IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1868.JPG

Now that the amp is installed the speakers really (really) come to life. The bass is much stronger and the speakers can finally really sing they way they were intended. This is a really big step in sonic performanice. If you were lazy you could quit here, but if you want it to really sound great you'll move on to installing the sub of course.

Keeping in theme I got the Polk Audio AA3106-A MM1040UM 10-Inch
subwoofer. This was about $180 on Amazon with the grille. I'm not a professional stereo installer and cutting that big hole for the sub really gnawed at me for a few days. I considered hiring a pro to do it but if I had to haul the boat in that would be a hassle so I continued on my own. Originally I wanted to put the sub under the helm area cup holders in the gunwale. There are some 10" subs that are a lower profile that would fit in there but this one wouldn't. Or at least I wasn't brave enough to try, and I didn't want to mount it out from the wall. I believe it's 4-5/8" deep with top mounting and it looked like I had almost exactly that in the wall. I chose to put it just forward of the yamaha supplied cooler instead. It sounds good there and there aren't any unwanted vibrations in that area even with the cooler in place. I used some clear vinyl graphics transfer tape 16" wide to cover the installation area. (most people just use blue painters tape). The polk subwoofer's grille will look funny if it's not mounted nice and level so that was important to me. I set the bench level with the trailer tongue jack, then I could use the level to set the speaker level. I had tap plastics cut me a speaker ring from black starboard 3/4" thick. It's about 1" wide. Starboard works like wood, drills eassily, cuts easily and won't rot of course. I centered the ring on the speaker and used a centering punch to mark all the mounting holes then drilled them on a drill press. I predrilled them 1/8" for my screws. To get the ring level, I used a centering punch to mark the top hole location on the boat and screwed the ring to the boat from the top hole. I partially screwed 2 screws into the 3 and 9 o'clock positions of the ring to check level again. Then I used the centering punch to mark the bottom hole location and drilled it - and secured it with another screw. I then continued all around the ring with the centering punch and marked then drilled all the necessary mounting holes.

IMG_1874.JPG IMG_1875.JPG IMG_1876.JPG

It's hard to tell in the photo but all this work is done on that 16" wide clear tape. I then traced the inner circle of the ring onto the boat with a sharpie and had my cut line. Now the moment of truth - time to cut that hole. It turned out to be less dramatic than I had envisioned. I drilled a few pilot holes around the perimeter of the cut out and then got out my jig saw. I put it on a small orbit and speed 5 out of 6 and used a fiberglass cutting blade. I set up my shop vac with some tape to hold the hose in place inside the storage compartment right near the cutting area. This really made the clean up a breeze. I also took out the main cockpit carpet as well. The jig saw cut the hole quite nicely and all that was left was to screw in the speaker with it's starboard backing ring. The weight of this speaker and how violently it's servo action must work to do it's job - I wouldn't install this speaker without a sturdy - thick ring with good stainless sheet metal screws or some thru-bolts with nuts. I used #8 stainless screws with square drive truss heads. They fit perfectly into the subwoofer mounting ring. I also like square drive screws since they don't slip. Last thing you want to do is slip and poke your screw driver through your new speaker. I used 4 of those and 4 of the supplied screws to attach the grille. Be cautious to torque the screws down evenly to compress the gasket behind the speaker mounting ring. Many of you don't like the supplied cooler - but as of yet, I'm making good use of it and as you can see this location doesn't interfere with operation of the cooler. This install took me about 10 hours, and I had to contort into some tight places to secure all the wiring but I'm happy with the install and it sounds really fantastic. The total bill with speakers, amp, wiring, starboard, hardware, etc.. $1015. That was considerably less than the slampak, and nothing about this install was really "difficult" other than getting contorted into the tight spaces. I did remove the door frame to the helm storage area to make it easier to get in and out of there - but the exposed fiberglass edges are sharp - so be careful.

IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1878.JPG

UPDATE:
After runing the Polk sub for a while, It got on my nerves. It was a little confusing for a while, it would sound killer, then on another song it would sound weird.. Anyhow I got to the bottom of it - it's not really an Infinite Baffle compatible sub like Crutchfield advertised. I could have lived with it but I don't like 1/2 Ass. So I ordered the JL Audio IB sub and got it in. In the meantime I found out that Polk now has a real Infinite Baffle subwoofer. I would have liked to try that as the mounting holes may have been all the same but as it were - the 9 and 3 o'clock screw holes matched up perfectly between the Polk and the JL and this saved a lot of trouble mounting the new speaker. As many have reported - the JL speaker does a killer job.

IMG_0448.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice write up! Thanks for posting the details.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice install and thanks for sharing @Majorsmackdown Do you not worry the speaker is a little open, the grille looks cool but not much protection from people, objects etc damaging the cone.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater Luckily my kids keep their fingers out of things really well, as I think these speakers would be most vulnerable around curious or untrained kids. At this time I haven't put them to the real world test, but I think the grilles offer more protection than they appear to. The subwoofer's cone is recessed quite a bit back from the grille. I imagined that the items that would normally be passing by should not pose a serious threat. I think depending on your shipmates your mileage may vary. I'll add to this thread if I run into anything to warn you about.

Last edited:

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the same speakers, just installed them this spring. It was a concern for me as well, but they have held up just fine to a season of use. I have had to remind a couple of kids (mine included) to not touch the speakers. They will be more susceptible to damage than some with full screens, just a risk you take I guess.

BTW, great install pics and write up! Also that is a great idea for an amp mount, I might have to steal that when I add the second amp for tower and/or swim platform speakers.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RightStuff That's good to hear you've had success with them. A motor home is a different story, but I have a 12" in a box with a much less protective grille, and it's never been molested in 4 years - I think this gave me some confidence in the polk grilles. Please use anything I've learned from my experience to your benefit. That's how the community works. I'm not for reinventing the wheel.

Though I've told myself I'm done, there is the chance someday I'd add some swim deck speakers. Those could be powered from the deck, but there is room for a taller board where I put mine and it could easily handle mounting a couple amps.

Enjoy !

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you still happy with the sound from the sub? I am a big Polk fan and really like to keep things uniformed as you have done, but the Polk subs are not designed for free-air installations according to the specs on the Polk webpage. The woofer specs actually call for very small enclosures, so how do you feel about the output level and cleanliness of the bass? I have been debating buying a Polk subwoofer and building a small box for it which I would locate under the starboard seat, but I'd much rather not use up the precious cargo space with a box.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984 I can't remember where - but the info I gathered was that the MM1040 was not an infinite baffle sub and mounting it as such would destroy it, but that the MM1040UM was. I looked hard to verify this before buying this speaker and couldn't find anything to the contrary. Crutchfields says it's suitable for free air use on the front page of their description.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1IqK1Rb7QVr/p_107MM1040M/Polk-Audio-MM1040-Ultra-Marine.html

I have probably have about 10 hours use on the subwoofer now and it still sounds great. I didn't want to bother with a traditional subwoofer box (and finding a place to put it), so if the sound quality is suffering from mounting this open air, I'm not sensing it. It hits pretty decently hard for a 10" sub, and I think if it's going to hurt itself it would have done that by now.

It's a pretty impressive sounding system, and I think you'd be pleased. Personally I'm committed so I'll run it till it dies - if it gives me any trouble I'll post back here..

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The Polk subs are not infinite baffle. I've used them as IB when the cosmetics needed to match the rest of the Polk speakers, or the system had to come in within a specific budget, and always below their specified power ratings. In the past, Nautique has used the Polk in an IB application. And often the Nautique owner changed it out to a true IB woofer like a high 'Q' JL Audio sub with much improved results.
Here's what you get when you use a lower 'Q' sub driver, like the Polk, in an IB application. Under-damped.
Lower power handling. Less ultimate output. More vibration through the boat. Less midbass attack and transients. Deep bass extension but without the same liveliness that you would have when used in the correct size of enclosure.
The Polk 'MM' or 'UM' subs are actually very decent subs when loaded into a small sealed enclosure. Okay but with definite limitations when used as an IB sub.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984 I can't remember where - but the info I gathered was that the MM1040 was not an infinite baffle sub and mounting it as such would destroy it, but that the MM1040UM was. I looked hard to verify this before buying this speaker and couldn't find anything to the contrary. Crutchfields says it's suitable for free air use on the front page of their description.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1IqK1Rb7QVr/p_107MM1040M/Polk-Audio-MM1040-Ultra-Marine.html

I have probably have about 10 hours use on the subwoofer now and it still sounds great. I didn't want to bother with a traditional subwoofer box (and finding a place to put it), so if the sound quality is suffering from mounting this open air, I'm not sensing it. It hits pretty decently hard for a 10" sub, and I think if it's going to hurt itself it would have done that by now.

It's a pretty impressive sounding system, and I think you'd be pleased. Personally I'm committed so I'll run it till it dies - if it gives me any trouble I'll post back here..
I was pretty excited to hear that until I saw that the Ultra Marine version is no longer available on crutchfield. I had never seen that model before. I will have to do some searching to see if I can find one somewhere. Thank you for the info.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984

It's still available in many places, just not crutchfield. I got mine on amazon. If it's not the perfect speaker for the application - it could have fooled me - it sounds really good, and it's not my first performance stereo system.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984

It's still available in many places, just not crutchfield. I got mine on amazon. If it's not the perfect speaker for the application - it could have fooled me - it sounds really good, and it's not my first performance stereo system.
Yeah, I found them on amazon ($164) and a couple of options a little cheaper from other various places, but I feel better knowing how Amazon holds vendors accountable for the products they sell so I will probably buy one there. My original plan was to mount on the starboard side gunwale in the open space between the throttles and the driver console, but I am guessing if you didn't have space on your 240 there, I probably won't on my little 192. My boat is now in storage 2.5 hours away so I won't be able to measure until spring. I might have to hit up the 190/192 crowd to hook me up on a measurement to be sure. I guess I could always mount it in the side of the drivers console, but I could see it getting banged up there. If they aren't manufacturing them any more I want to order one before they disappear. I would actually be fine with an 8in subwoofer, but I had no luck finding any of the UM models in that size unfortunately.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984 - Hi, Just because there wasn't depth in my boat at that location doesn't necessarily mean there won't be in yours. I'm not familiar with yours but If you can get access through a cupholder, or behind the wall, or however - your results may be totally different than mine. Good luck, and have fun.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great write up and pictures! I'm buying a 242 Limited S E-Series (have deposit, purchase subject to test drive :)), and my first project(s) will be to replace the stock speakers, and add some amps and a sub. I had the polk db610's in my AR210, so I know how good they are, but looking for a step up with this one, I guess :). I'm looking at the same 6.5's you have, but will probably go with a JL sub designed specifically for an IB installation.

One question for you: why did you choose to put the sub facing into the seating area, as opposed to, say, facing the back of the captains chair? I have this configuration in my AR210, and the bass was great in the boat. Is there something blocking this configuration in the new 24's?

Thanks again for the great write up... will make my project a lot easier!

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, I should update - I've gone ahead and bought a JL 12" IB speaker. Though the sound is quite impressive (sometimes) with the polk, I seem to be chasing around the tuning with that speaker. Crutchfield's listing of that subwoofer misled me to believe it was open air compatible - when it isn't really. There is a new polk 12" that is infinite baffle (IB) mountable, but that wasn't available when I did this project. Have fun !

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
i'll be curious about your impressions of the sound difference when you make the switch, so please do share!

any comments on your placement choice for the sub?

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I mentioned in the article that I wanted to put it under the throttle controls - but there wasn't enough room in my boat. A friend has an AR210 and he had room for his sub there. Thus far it doesn't interfere with the factory cooler location, and the JL is almost 1" deeper, and I don't think that'll be a problem either. My boat is in for winter storage with my dealer, they've got to do a little work on it before I get it back - so as soon as I do I'll put the new sub in and report my findings.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
good luck with the new sub!

You did mention you thought about the space under the throttles. I was thinking more about the space directly behind the captains' chair, i.e., on the forward facing surface adjacent to where you installed your sub. I was curious if there was something in that storage compartment (where the cooler goes) that prevents that installation option.

Of course I'm just being impatient... I will (hopefully) have my test drive soon, and if all goes well, will be all mine, so I can look all I want. But as of last weekend, there was still ice on the lake :(.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You did mention you thought about the space under the throttles. I was thinking more about the space directly behind the captains' chair, i.e., on the forward facing surface adjacent to where you installed your sub. I was curious if there was something in that storage compartment (where the cooler goes) that prevents that installation option.
If I remember correctly, most put it on the side because that surface right behind the captain's chair isn't flat, or at least not flat enough to put a 8-10" hole there and have it mount flush.