• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR240 JL Audio upgrade

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upgrading the stock speakers and adding 2 mid-cabin - JL MX650 blue LED
adding JL M800/8V2 amp and JL 10IB sub
still have speaker cables and a few other odds and ends on the way
this will be a slow project for me
JL upgrade.jpg

Mmmd5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upgrading the stock speakers and adding 2 mid-cabin - JL MX650 blue LED
adding JL M800/8V2 amp and JL 10IB sub
still have speaker cables and a few other odds and ends on the way
this will be a slow project for me
View attachment 38111
Good luck! I just did the exact same upgrade. Fun project and sounds great

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You will be very happy with how it sounds when done. I'm upgrading my stereo right now also and so far have 8 of the mx650's and a m800/8v2 amp. Hopefully I will get the m10ib5 sub and amp installed this week. Have you started yet?

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no yet. she is at the marina about 45 minutes from home and have spent her first 2 weekends out on the water. taking it for the 10 hour check-up this week so might keep her at home to try to get started. waiting on a few more items to come in. hoping to get the amp in and swap out the original speaker first. phase 2 will be cutting holes for the 2 additional cabin speakers and sub and getting them in. this is the scarier part.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh ok. Holes for the additional 6.5"s aren't bad. I used a 5" hole saw and it cut the holes perfectly. Trying to figure out how I want to cut the hole for sub now. Either I pay someone to do it, it tackle myself with a jigsaw.

Mmmd5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I ended up using a jig saw for the sub. It wasn't that bad other than messy, the vacuum only does so much

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mmmd5 thanks for the pics. were those cables back there when you started or are those from the install? don't want to cause myself problems.
@MattFX4 thanks for the advice

Mmmd5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mmmd5 thanks for the pics. were those cables back there when you started or are those from the install? don't want to cause myself problems.
@MattFX4 thanks for the advice
There are some cables you'll need to make sure are pulled back when you cut. You can access them from the compartment behind the drivers seat. You'll have to remove a panel (one screw if a remember) to see what you have to do.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@MattFX4 & @Emilio22 - you both went with the MX speakers, but the M sub. May I ask why? I'm looking at adding a sub (or two :)) as well, but am not convinced (yet) of the premium price for the M version of the JL 10" sub. Your input would be appreciated :).

I went with the 800/8 JL amp as well (non-Marine version), but opted for the Polk MM651UM instead of the JL's. Probably more to do with the deal I got and accessibility of JL speakers at reasonable prices where I live than anything else. I'm targeting this weekend to do everything (except the subs - will just prewire for them).

thanks,
Derek

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Derek Fosbury I dealt with Odin at Earmark Audio for my gear, and he recommended the M version of the sub as being the better out of the two IB sub's. I took his word, and ordered the M. I wanted the best possible sub since a boat is open air, and not like a car where the music is contained. The M650's are $200 more a pair. That would of been $800 more for me since I went with 4 pairs. From all the reviews I have read the mx650's sound great, and couldn't justify an additional $800. Reach out to @Earmark Marine and Odin can tell you the differences between the two subs.

Mmmd5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MattFX4 & @Emilio22 - you both went with the MX speakers, but the M sub. May I ask why? I'm looking at adding a sub (or two :)) as well, but am not convinced (yet) of the premium price for the M version of the JL 10" sub. Your input would be appreciated :).

I went with the 800/8 JL amp as well (non-Marine version), but opted for the Polk MM651UM instead of the JL's. Probably more to do with the deal I got and accessibility of JL speakers at reasonable prices where I live than anything else. I'm targeting this weekend to do everything (except the subs - will just prewire for them).

thanks,
Derek
Great question - I had a budget and that's what Odin from Earmark recommended, and that's how I ended up with this equipment. I think the thought was the MX650's were pretty decent and the 10" M series would fill in the low end nicely. I had originally thought about four MX7.7's and the sub, but after talking with Odin on the mid cabin speakers, I went with six 6.5" speakers and sub for a bit more. I am very happy with the mid cabin speakers. I set the bow speakers a little lower so people don't go deaf while laying up in the front.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys! I PM'd David, so will see what he thinks :).

Derek

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you use blade that came with it? Or have to buy a special blade?
I bought (jigsaw) metal blades, fine cut, high number of teeth count. The larger blade had a shank that was too long to fit into the saw.

This is actually better, imho, because the shorter blade had me keep the saw closer to the fiberglass/gelcoat. You don't want to have the blade jump out and bark up your gel coat.

I finished off the cut using an air powered die grinder.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2007-sx-230-stereo-upgrade.8206/

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Derek Fosbury also went with Odin's advice. sub would fill in the for the difference between the 650 and 770. save on the speakers and splurge on the sub.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can anyone here tell me if their m10ib5 sub came with a mounting template? I thought it did, but somehow managed to lose it if so.

Mmmd5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys! I PM'd David, so will see what he thinks :).

Derek
Can anyone here tell me if their m10ib5 sub came with a mounting template? I thought it did, but somehow managed to lose it if so.
Mine definitely did, but I misplaced mine as well. I just cut to under 9" and marked the screw holes with a sharpie

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I lost mine too.. I used welding wire at 1/2 diameter of the drill hole and drew it that way

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ha ok. I guess they are easy to lose.