• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 scarab 165 Ho supercharger

Cooler breeze

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I am looking at a 2016 Scarab 165 HO. I was told by the salesman that the super charger would not need to be rebuilt after 200 hours. He said it would only need a gasket. And that a supercharger failure would not damage the engine. I am having trouble trying to verify. Can someone help?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
To my knowledge, ONLY the 300HP version is supercharger rebuild free. That was not offered on older models like the HO. There was some rebranding a little while ago... they have two trims, the G and the ID now. The new ID has the 300HP according to the site (I have an older 2015 150HP model myself). The 200 and 250HP versions do need a rebuild after a couple of hundred hours.

But I'm not an expert on this topic since I have the base model. If somebody else chimes in and corrects me, please listen to them.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am looking at a 2016 Scarab 165 HO. I was told by the salesman that the super charger would not need to be rebuilt after 200 hours. He said it would only need a gasket. And that a supercharger failure would not damage the engine. I am having trouble trying to verify. Can someone help?
I have a Chap but we have the same BRP engines. The late 2017 engines and up do not need to be rebuilt as is was redesigned in 2018. The older engines must be. There are many discussions in this forum on this topic. Please search. I remember seeing pictures of different bolts to tell if the engine has the newer chargers on them.

I would not believe your salesman in this case. If you do buy from him and they're reputable, have him put it in writing or have him rebuild the super charger so you won't have to worry about it (it's not cheap). How many hours on the engine now?

Cooler breeze

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
The dealer seems reputable. But I can’t find anything to verify. I will have him check again. Thought someone on here would know. The boat only has 17 hours.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The dealer seems reputable. But I can’t find anything to verify. I will have him check again. Thought someone on here would know. The boat only has 17 hours.
Trust me, it's more than a gasket. What hp is your engine?

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I have a Chap but we have the same BRP engines. The late 2017 engines and up do not need to be rebuilt as is was redesigned in 2018. The older engines must be. There are many discussions in this forum on this topic. Please search. I remember seeing pictures of different bolts to tell if the engine has the newer chargers on them.

I would not believe your salesman in this case. If you do buy from him and they're reputable, have him put it in writing or have him rebuild the super charger so you won't have to worry about it (it's not cheap). How many hours on the engine now?
only the 300 ace engine has the non -rebuildable supercharger-parts aren’t even available to do so-only available as an assembly-all others-now have 200 hr supercharger rebuild schedule vs the earlier 100 hr recommendation.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
only the 300 ace engine has the non -rebuildable supercharger-parts aren’t even available to do so-only available as an assembly-all others-now have 200 hr supercharger rebuild schedule vs the earlier 100 hr recommendation.
Where did you hear this from? As I noted above 2018 (BRP Rotax engines with superchargers - 200 and 250 hp) and up are maintenance free. I understand the new 300 are totally redesigned. Would love to have a couple in my boat.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

@Cooler breeze Here is the thread showing the picture I was referring too.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I stand corrected-I was working off memory and found that the first year of the 300 was indeed the only maintenance free supercharger in the lineup. Subsequent years did receive the maintenance free designation across the board. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I stand corrected-I was working off memory and found that the first year of the 300 was indeed the only maintenance free supercharger in the lineup. Subsequent years did receive the maintenance free designation across the board. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
so just to be crystal clear the 2016 will NOT have the maintenance free supercharger. My best guess is 17 boats may or may not since brp’s boat engine supply chain is historically one model year behind their pwc.

Cooler breeze

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
So rebuild at 200 hours not every 2 years? The boat I am looking at is 2016 only 17 hours. Do the new super chargers fit a 2016?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So rebuild at 200 hours not every 2 years? The boat I am looking at is 2016 only 17 hours. Do the new super chargers fit a 2016?
Yes, rebuild at 200 hours. I doubt it but can't say for sure.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,
where are you at?
what dealer are you talking to?

If there is one thing I've learned is don't trust the salesman. They say anything because either they won't be working there when you have a problem or you're just going to get frustrated with the repair and sell the boat,

I'd suggest checking directly with the maintenance department of the dealership to see what their story is,

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
the cage material gets brittle over time and the bearings fail and it will damage your motor-in my opinion 2 years is a bit often but you are double that at 4-my advice if u like the boat negotiate the price of a supercharger rebuild in the deal