• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 SX 190 Engine RATTLE

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Morning JBers.... quick question.
I just bought my brand new 2016 SX190 and went thru the engine break in period religiously. Yes this Canadian couldn't wait for 80 degree weather and choose to accept the 50 degree frigidity....piece of cake.
Anyway.....took her out and allowed the engine to warm up for 15 mins at 4000-5000 rpms. (Yes overkill).
While going to WOT the engine was rattling like someone was shakng bolts in a tin can.
This sound lasted about 2-3 seconds during speed increase and then stopped .... normal engine noise ensued.
I did not notice this sound during the break in period.
I was able to achieve approx 40mph at 7700rpm. No issues. So I'm assuming plug was seated and no obstructions in the intake.
I thinking an engine mount....But really a brand new boat ?
Could you folks chime in here plz.
This is really bothersome....

Cheers

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you try to record the sound, it would help a lot. It could be normal, these boats are LOUD, and they can sound like there are loose bolts inside, can be a bit disturbing if you are not used to it. But the guys here should be able to tell (what they can hear).

--

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the jet pump nozzle deflector and make sure all bolts are tight to spec. It is probably fine but that is one idea around rattling

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also check for any debris or loose bolts, nuts, washers etc in the engine hatch and bilge. Sometimes when they make these boats they will leave a few extra hardware pieces behind.

Did it only do it once and fine since then at WOT? Check the oil level before heading out?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When something is stuck in the jet cavitation will cause extreme vibration and noise. I wonder if something is in your jet pump.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While going to WOT the engine was rattling like someone was shakng bolts in a tin can.
This sound lasted about 2-3 seconds during speed increase and then stopped .... normal engine noise ensued.
I did not notice this sound during the break in period.
So, was the sound bad for only 2-3 sec? If that is the case you almost certainly were just passing a piece of debris through the pump. As @Bruce said - a tiny piece of debris, like a wood chip, stuck in between an impeller blade and the wear ring inside the pump can cause dramatic vibrations.

--

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I probably will not be out again till next weekend......still 60F or so "up" here in Canada.....
Ill attempt to reproduce the sound again and record it.....

Oil level was checked b4 my last outing and was at exactly 50% (in between "dots" on ds)
I didnt have a chance this eve to check the jet pump nozzle and surrounding area.....but I will look 2moro after work as well as determine if any loose articles exist in the engine housing area....

After 10-15 mins or so warm up.......I slowly went to WOT.....say about about 5 seconds to WOT.......
The sound was unnerving to me.........It sounded similar to this at the 25-30 second mark of the clip......my rattling was much more distinct (vs muffled), louder and much less engine throttle background noise.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rattling+sound+from+boat+engine&&view=detail&mid=81FBC0B813C35A87D69681FBC0B813C35A87D696&FORM=VRDGAR

As stated the rattle lasted for 2-3 seconds at the beginning of WOT.....on every occassion - say 5 or 6 times.....then no issues.

Can I hook up the engine to a water supply and see if I can repeat the sound on land/trailer ????

Thanx guys I truly appreciate your insight here......

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can I hook up the engine to a water supply and see if I can repeat the sound on land/trailer ????
Since there is no resistance when the jet is out of the water you do not want to rev very high on land. Full throttle on land could result in a louder noise.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW........common sense should have told me that - TYVM........

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
our motors are LOUD out of the water when rinsing them off. It unnerved me and I posted a video too. After hearing other 190's im much more comfortable.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FINALLY was able to get wet this weekend with SHEWHOMUSTBEOBEYED and my parents.....
So 4 adults and Murphy the Dog....full tank of gas and lunchables.....
Could only make 38 MPH at 7700 rpm...........BUT NO "can of bolts" ratting....
So Im guessing swatski probably called it with minor obstruction in the impeller....
Thanx guys .... feeling a wee bit more at ease.....

Racerx805

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine was rattling but upon further inspection the bolt and washer the holds the rear pole light came undone plus there was a few nuts and washers in the hull. (a magnetic stick through the wet locker access ports will do the trick)