• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S Speaker Upgrade

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me start by apologizing for a new post on an often discussed topic. Unfortunately I am not completely certain how to proceed. Although many have responded in a previous post regarding questions I posed, its now spring time and I actually have to do something. I would like to order the "remaining" parts within the next couple of weeks. Therefore I wanted to start a clean post to address my questions and request for advice.

I am upgrading my speakers on my 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S. What I know for certain is I will replace my existing 6 speakers with 8 new Polk Audio MM651UM's, adding 2 additional to the helm area (I can't hear anything while underway, other than the annoying buzz of the tweeters overhead). I have also already purchased a pair of Rockford Fosgate M282B-Wake M2 Wakeboard 8-inch tower speakers. What I still need to purchase is the subwoofer and amp(s). I plan to purchase the JL Audo M10IB5 10" Infinite Baffle Marine Subwoofer and mount this on the side of the cooler compartment.

From an Amp standpoint, I have received advice from some of you previously and greatly appreciate it. I'm still somewhat confused however with what I should get, based on the configuration, as well as the ability to adjust volume in areas. Also, this will depend on if I should disconnect, or keep the existing buzzing tweeters on the arch.

Question 1: Keep the tweeters and add to the amplifier(s) or disconnect the buzzing bastards?
Question 2: Specific advice as to what amplifier, or pair of amplifiers I should get. My assumptions are as follows, and please note the tweeters are not shown in my diagram below. Please let me know if I should change this.
upload_2017-3-17_14-35-2.png

Questions 3: If two separate amps, do they need to be the same wattage? The JL Audio M800/8v2 was previously recommended (wow its expensive), and assume I need another 4-channel, or 6-channel? Is this the amp/brand everyone would recommend?

Question 4: I would like to be able to adjust the volume separate for the bow (2 speakers), the main cabin (4 speakers), the swim platform (2 speakers) and the sub (1 speaker). Is the Wetsounds WS-420BT the best/cleanest way to do this?

Question 5: I like getting my hands dirty, but am by far means not competent in electrical wiring. Should I even attempt this myself, or just hire the installation out?

As always, I greatly appreciate the advice and guidance given on this forum. Thank you in advance.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1. Keep the tweeters and see what you think after upgrading everything else. I hated mine at first. Now they don't sound bad since the rest of the stereo over powers them.

2. For amp 1 I would go with a JL audio m800 8 channel amp to power the cabin and swim platform speakers. You will need to run new wires to the swim platform because they are wired together with the rear cabin speakers. Not sure about sub and tower. I power my 1 10" IB sub with a JL m200 amp bridged. You may could go with a 4 channel to power sub and towers. Bridge two channels for the sub, the remaining 2 for the tower.

3. No, they don't need to be same wattage. Or at least I wouldn't think so. Yes the JL amps are expensive, but you know what they say. You get what you pay for. They are extremely efficient and clean amps.

4. The ws420 only has 3 zones. If you want to separate bow, cabin, and swim platform it would take the 3 zones. Most people put boat speakers on 1 zone, sub on another, and tower speakers on the 3rd. I would look for a 4 zone eq if you want to split it up like you described.

5. I would do it myself if I were you. I did mine, and I am no professional audio installer. It's fairly simple if you do some research, and take your time.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Matt, I appreciate the input. The more I think about it, the 3 zones probably makes the most sense. Splitting to 4 zones may be over the top and not nee. Did you have any issues running new wires up the tower? Also, before I pull the trigger on the sub, are there any issues with a IB sub vs. enclosed? I noticed a couple photos from @wallacerb (I don't know how to link his profile) in another recent post and his setup. Looks like nice enclosed subs under the seats. Not sure if there is a performance difference and I really don't want to lose a lot of storage space either. I thought I read Wallacerb had a post with videos and pictures throughout his upgrade process, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I read that wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I haven't ran my tower wires yet. I've got everything ready to go. Just trying to find the time. I hope to do it soon, so will let you know how it go's. The IB subs perform pretty well, but not as good as a sub in an enclosure. I've never compared the two, but everyone on here who has all say a sub in an enclosure has more punch. I've been thinking about putting my sub in an enclosure to see how it sounds. I'm going to wait and see how it sounds after I install my ws420 eq before making any changes.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been looking at Rockford Fosgate M282B-Wake M2 Wakeboard 8-inch tower speakers. I wonder how they sound? In our old sx210 I had 4 Polk mm651 and a 10 inch ported sub under the seat with two amps. I upgraded the radio to the Clarion m303 and the stereo rocked and hit very hard. I missed the radio already however I'm going to do it better this time with getting class D amps. I had no problem hearing the radio while running wot, chilling in the water or sand bar.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
(I don't know how to link his profile)
I fixed it for you in your post, but all you need to do is type the @ sign and then begin typing the person's name. Once you have 3 characters typed it will pop up a list of names that begin with those letters. If you don't see the pop up it might be your because your device/OS has displayed it shifted (my Droid tablet and Chrome sometimes displays the pop up way below the visible screen and I have to scroll down an inch to see the pop up!

I just did the install of JLs mid cabin, and now I'm so amazed with them that I'm considering swapping a few of the Polks out with them! Stereo upgrades are addictive!

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I fixed it for you in your post, but all you need to do is type the @ sign and then begin typing the person's name. Once you have 3 characters typed it will pop up a list of names that begin with those letters. If you don't see the pop up it might be your because your device/OS has displayed it shifted (my Droid tablet and Chrome sometimes displays the pop up way below the visible screen and I have to scroll down an inch to see the pop up!

I just did the install of JLs mid cabin, and now I'm so amazed with them that I'm considering swapping a few of the Polks out with them! Stereo upgrades are addictive!
Sorry for the delay in responding @Julian . Still in somewhat winter mode. Which JL speakers did you put in the midcabin? I haven't purchased the Polk mm651um's yet because they jacked the price up. I should have done this at Christmas when them for $109/pair. Also, I see you have a 242X E-Series. I want to add the same windshield mount mirror that comes with the 242x, but the dealer says they don't have any info on it as a spare part. Do you have any idea which brand/model that mirror is?

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been looking at Rockford Fosgate M282B-Wake M2 Wakeboard 8-inch tower speakers. I wonder how they sound? In our old sx210 I had 4 Polk mm651 and a 10 inch ported sub under the seat with two amps. I upgraded the radio to the Clarion m303 and the stereo rocked and hit very hard. I missed the radio already however I'm going to do it better this time with getting class D amps. I had no problem hearing the radio while running wot, chilling in the water or sand bar.
Beautiful looking boat @mattschepker. I can't wait to hear the m282B speakers as well, but have to pull my wallet out for the rest of the upgrade before installing them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Which JL speakers did you put in the midcabin? I haven't purchased the Polk mm651um's yet because they jacked the price up. I should have done this at Christmas when them for $109/pair. Also, I see you have a 242X E-Series. I want to add the same windshield mount mirror that comes with the 242x, but the dealer says they don't have any info on it as a spare part. Do you have any idea which brand/model that mirror is?
I put in the JL MX650CCXs, they seem much louder and have much better dynamic range than the Polks. But I must admit I didn't do a side by side on/off comparison...(like I did with the Polks to the Stock Seaworthy speakers when I replaced them).

The mirror can easily be bought aftermarket, but it isn't cheap! It is a PTM Edge 140 wide angle mirror . I had one on my SX230 (sold with the boat)....loved it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just purchased the JL 800/8V2 AMP AND JL 400/4, which should arrive today. Hoping I didn't make a mistake on the 400/4 and thinking I should have gone with the 600/6. If so, I can return when it arrives and get the 600. That would give me 2 open channels for future upgrade if needed (i.e 2nd sub). Any thoughts? I still need to buy the sub and am concerned with the IB sub mounted under the rear bench where the cooler is. I spoke to the dealer and they told me it could cause cracking/spiderwebbing in the gel coat/fiberglass. Anyone have this issue? Also they said the JL M10IB5 sub won't fit with the speaker grill due to the distance between the floor and bottom of the seat cushion. I don't believe that because I have seen several of you with this setup. Any issues?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just purchased the JL 800/8V2 AMP AND JL 400/4, which should arrive today. Hoping I didn't make a mistake on the 400/4 and thinking I should have gone with the 600/6. If so, I can return when it arrives and get the 600. That would give me 2 open channels for future upgrade if needed (i.e 2nd sub). Any thoughts? I still need to buy the sub and am concerned with the IB sub mounted under the rear bench where the cooler is. I spoke to the dealer and they told me it could cause cracking/spiderwebbing in the gel coat/fiberglass. Anyone have this issue? Also they said the JL M10IB5 sub won't fit with the speaker grill due to the distance between the floor and bottom of the seat cushion. I don't believe that because I have seen several of you with this setup. Any issues?
It will fit. I'm running same sub in my '15 242 and there is plenty of clearance on top and bottom. I haven't had any cracking issues yet. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. When turned up, it shakes the boat.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone know the difference between the JL AUDIO MX10IB3 and MX10IB5? I'm not seeing the IB5's on their website any longer or on Amazon or Crutcfield. Only the IB3's

I found it. The IB3 is rated at max 150amp and the IB5 at 250. I found the IB5 on Crutchfield and its on order. Now for the speaker replacement or may do that later.

Last edited:

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a MX10IB3 under my port seat as well. Right next to the table mount, no fitment issues.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To further confirm, the speaker will definitely fit with room to spare. Just put a backer ring behind the glass and you should be fine. I used marine grade ply wood.

IMG_1031.JPG

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To further confirm, the speaker will definitely fit with room to spare. Just put a backer ring behind the glass and you should be fine. I used marine grade ply wood.

View attachment 55775
I bought a space ring that I planned on using on the inside as a backer plate. I hope that will reinforce it enough.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hopefully it's not made from mdf. You need something that won't soak up moisture