• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 yamaha 242 X E-series speed programming

Sloatjustin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can anyone give me some advise as to why when it’s just me and my wife surfing the speed control setting doesn’t work right? We program it at 10mph have all the ballast tanks full and it gets up to 12-13 mph and kills the wave? We have the yamaha wake booster on.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
At the lower speeds its not as accurate mine is the opposite I have to set it to 12-13 to hit 10.5 -11 Do you use the no wake buttons to adjust the speed ? That helps me dial it in

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Similar to Cambo, we have to set it high 12-14 to get the target speed at 10-11. I've started doing a trial run prior to anyone surfing to dial in the wake. I set the new speed and then dial it slightly with the +/- speed buttons once they're up.

From what I understand Perfect Pass won't work on the e-series boats, another other solutions out there?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m probably to cheap to actually do it, but I’ve often wondered if there would be some way for @Ridesteady to override the speed control settings.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m probably to cheap to actually do it, but I’ve often wondered if there would be some way for @Ridesteady to override the speed control settings.
Hard to believe Yamaha hasn't fixed this yet.

There might be a way to do it but I don't see that as something we would pursue.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Ridesteady. Small market for the amount of work to pursue that solution for the eseries. Completely understand.

Historically, set it and it's runs 1 mph below the profile speed, but lately with filling all ballasts (playing with the setup) I actually had to set it at 21 mph to hit 11. RPM's were all normal and no cavitation, just weird. Stopped and started a few times to see if the system just got stuck in a weird read of the engines and speed. Next day, back to 1-2 mph off setup and did the normal +/- wake mode to dial it in.

It was the first time that I was driven enough to look into RideSteady and Perfect Pass, but lucky or not I don't have a choice on the $1K+ investment for an 242x ;)

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Historically, set it and it's runs 1 mph below the profile speed, but lately with filling all ballasts (playing with the setup) I actually had to set it at 21 mph to hit 11. RPM's were all normal and no cavitation, just weird. Stopped and started a few times to see if the system just got stuck in a weird read of the engines and speed. Next day, back to 1-2 mph off setup and did the normal +/- wake mode to dial it in.
That's crazy. It almost seems like they're running "open loop" on the e-series cruise control solution. A true closed-loop GPS control system would eventually have your throttles pegged at 100% trying to reach the set speed.

Was it hotter / more humid the first day? If the cruise control has no feedback loop, it might just say, "user wants 11 MPH, give him 75% throttle". That 75% throttle might not have produced enough power on that day with the heat / humidity conditions to reach the set speed.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's crazy. It almost seems like they're running "open loop" on the e-series cruise control solution. A true closed-loop GPS control system would eventually have your throttles pegged at 100% trying to reach the set speed.

Was it hotter / more humid the first day? If the cruise control has no feedback loop, it might just say, "user wants 11 MPH, give him 75% throttle". That 75% throttle might not have produced enough power on that day with the heat / humidity conditions to reach the set speed.
It's definitely not closed in that it continues to manage upwards/downwards till it hits the set speed. Weight on boat and wind is usually the biggest factor in how far off the actual vs. the set speed is and if it's set at 13 and is registering 9 MPH it will just sit there at 9 till you +/- the wakemode speed to adjust.

The day in question was average, not notable heat or humidity, hopefully just a one off case.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's definitely not closed in that it continues to manage upwards/downwards till it hits the set speed. Weight on boat and wind is usually the biggest factor in how far off the actual vs. the set speed is and if it's set at 13 and is registering 9 MPH it will just sit there at 9 till you +/- the wakemode speed to adjust.

The day in question was average, not notable heat or humidity, hopefully just a one off case.
I always run my rider profile for surfing at 13+, in order to run about 10.7 or so. Once ballast is added, the accuracy is horrible.

I have a profile set for pulling the tube at 16 (for the little kids) and another at 24 for cruising. Both with 0 ballast and they will run pretty accurate.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed, the profiles are pretty good for skiing, wakeboarding and tubing. Pretty poor once you introduce ballast and the wakebooster.

I also run a bunch of steel ballast, so that doesn't help either.

Sloatjustin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
At the lower speeds its not as accurate mine is the opposite I have to set it to 12-13 to hit 10.5 -11 Do you use the no wake buttons to adjust the speed ? That helps me dial it in
I have not tried that yet but will sure try

Sloatjustin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I agree it’s like the computer has a mind of its own. Some days it’s perfect others it’s all jacked up on Mountain Dew!
This was after I recalibrated the bags, but even after the recalibration it was a perfect massive surf wave, we did have more people in the boat then. Can’t believe I just spent 60k on the boat and it has this problem…

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree it’s like the computer has a mind of its own. Some days it’s perfect others it’s all jacked up on Mountain Dew!
This was after I recalibrated the bags, but even after the recalibration it was a perfect massive surf wave, we did have more people in the boat then. Can’t believe I just spent 60k on the boat and it has this problem…
While $90k+ is a tough sell on the new 252x's vs. some entry level tow boats, at $60-$70k I still feel pretty good about our surf experience compared to two friends who dropped $150k and $200k on a G22 Air N and a 24' Mastercraft. Amazing boats, features and wakes, but at 2-3x the cost I'm ok strapping a booster on, slow ballast fill/empty and moving steel ballast bags around.

This isn't an amazing video of skills and of course my kid recording off my phone kill my tunes, but it gives a sense of the wake off a 242x and size of pocket you can get.