• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha ar240 sound system help?

Sakibba

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello,

So a friend purchased a 2016 ar240 last year.
I would like to upgrade the sound system on the boat. Budget is $3000, would like to replace everything that's stock and add two tower speakers.

I tried searching forums here but couldn't really find anything specific for this boat and its sound system.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello,

I would like to upgrade the sound system on the boat. Budget is $3000, would like to replace everything that's stock and add two tower speakers.

I tried searching forums here but couldn't really find anything specific for this boat and its sound system.

Here is what we did for $3400 installed. If you're willing to tweek a little or even install yourself you should be able to get below your budget of $3000.

AndyDWell-Known Member
I just paid down the deposit for our speaker upgrade we're getting in a couple of weeks. We're going with almost the identical set up it looks like a lot of people are doing so it sounds like we have made some wise choices. Can't wait to hear this baby fully cranked up! I'll post pictures once the install is complete.

6 JL MX650's with sport grilles and blue LED's

2 JL M770's for the tower with sport grilles

1 JL M10W5 subwoofer with sport grille mounted in the port side storage compartment

M800 8 channel amp

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I replaced the 4 stock speakers with 6 Wetsounds SW-650's, Added two Wetsounds Rev 10 tower speakers, a Wetsounds HTX-6 amp for the 8 speakers, two
JL Audio M10IB5-SG-WH's, and a dedicated JL Sub amp. All that was right in the $3k range.
Edit: I should also add that we installed one sub on the starboard side rear storage (right behind captain's seat) and one in the port-side bow storage. Sound is unbelievable. You get what you pay for sometimes. First song blasted was Van Halen's Eruption @ 85% volume in a cove (after a 3 hour deep bass low volume break in at the house).

Last edited:

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I Recently purchased a new sound system for my 2015 AR240. I spent a lot of time reading forums talking with audio installers and trying to figure out what would give me the best sound. I ended up going with Roswell Marine 2 - 8" R1 Tower Speakers and 2 - 6.5" R1 in boat speakers on my swim step. I opted to keep the existing 4 polk audio in boat speakers, because I believe they are just underpowered from the head unit. I paired everything with 2 Roswell Marine amps (RMA 500.2 & RMA 800.5). I went with Roswell because Marine is all they do, and all they spend their money on. Not saying anything against the other companies, but Marine is like 5% of their company and not a lot of R&D cash goes that way. Anyways, the boat is at the shop right now getting the speakers and amps installed, but once I get it back later this week I will give you guys an update of how it sounds, Ill take a few pictures as well.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On paper the Polk 651mm are the best cabin speakers on the market. But that's only specs on paper. But just saying and they are reasonable priced. I'm a big WS person but no WS 6 1/2 can touch the polks. :)

If you can JL HD Amps is the best way to go.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also I would advise anyone not to run their subs with other speakers. Subs need to be on Monos now days. Sure you can put on multi channel amps, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your amp would stay hot all the time and in middle of summer it might struggle. I always run subs on it's on amp and even than it runs hot lol.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adding final suggestion: Personally, I hate going through the Connex screen to adjust fade and balance of speakers. So I added two external controls to quickly fade out my tower speakers if I wanted also control my 6 internal speakers. Also pictured are my two Volt meter/USB 2.1 additions. Only the house batteries were on for this pic.
View media item 4627

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adding final suggestion: Personally, I hate going through the Connex screen to adjust fade and balance of speakers. So I added two external controls to quickly fade out my tower speakers if I wanted also control my 6 internal speakers. Also pictured are my two Volt meter/USB 2.1 additions. Only the house batteries were on for this pic.
View media item 4627
@rsg1963 that is a winner location for those kinds of controls! Darned, I just mounted my bass controller and ended up placing it under the dash, but I think I will be moving it - stealing your idea!

--

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rsg1963 that is a winner location for those kinds of controls! Darned, I just mounted my bass controller and ended up placing it under the dash, but I think I will be moving it - stealing your idea!

--
Ha! Thanks Swatski, but to be fair, I've thought of very little on my own regarding enhancements on this boat.
85% of anything I've done has been from others' ideas on this forum. So basically it's this forums fault I'm broke. (learned from politicians: never accept blame if you can shift it to someone else)
I think the precise location (from another user here) was originally on the flat part below my volt meters in the image , but I put mine above the control knob as I liked the look better.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ha! Thanks Swatski, but to be fair, I've thought of very little on my own regarding enhancements on this boat.
85% of anything I've done has been from others' ideas on this forum. So basically it's this forums fault I'm broke. (learned from politicians: never accept blame if you can shift it to someone else)
I think the precise location (from another user here) was originally on the flat part below my volt meters in the image , but I put mine above the control knob as I liked the look better.
LOL

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello,

I recommend JL Audio that's what I run in my boat front to back. But I'll tell you you might as well get what you want the first time and save money otherwise you'll keep adding and adding until you're eventually broke or happy.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is an FAQ on stereo upgrades....and in general what people are doing to their boats isn't too model specific for the most part. The hulls of the 240 series are identical for the models within a year, and nearly identical for other years until there is a major redo (the 2016 and 17s are the same hull, and the upper hull isn't much different than 14? and 15s).

Most leave the Head unit alone as it is integrated into the Connext screen and just add amps and better speakers.

https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-upgrade-your-stereo-and-speakers.24/

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my boat back from the shop this weekend and took her out for a spin on the lake Saturday. I have tosay I am very happy with the Roswell set-up, however I wished I would of changed out the 4 stock inboat 6.5s, because they are just horrible compared to these Roswells. I have attached a few pictures.Tower Speakers.JPGTower Speakers from Bow.JPGRear Starboard.JPGRear Port.JPGAMP Install.JPGStarboard Tower Speaker.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Just keep watering the old money tree.

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha yah I think I exhausted that money tree for the year, also installed Perfect Pass. I'll have to let my money tree grow until next winter before breaking out another thousand.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Haha yah I think I exhausted that money tree for the year, also installed Perfect Pass. I'll have to let my money tree grow until next winter before breaking out another thousand.
lol, I hear yah, my final purchase was some Rev 8's... Sea Dek, PerfectPass, etc, will have to wait for next year :greedy: