• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 212 Limited S...No Negotiating?

dannyboy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dealer tells me $55,534.
May throw in a cover or two, but that's it.
What's been your experience?

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A friend of mine owns a Yamaha Dealership, compared to other boat manufacturers he sells, Yamaha's do not have huge margins, yesterday he was saying there is about 7 to 8K profit margin in the higher end Yamaha's. He only sells Waverunners these days, says it's not worth his time or money to have limited margins.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
MSRP is $53K, I would shop around at other dealers.

Generally there is little to no negotiation with Yamaha dealers. On current year model boats you might get some accessories thrown in or a a discount on accessories. It is rare for Yamaha dealers to not sell out but where they can be found boats from previous years are where the best deals are found. For example I bet you could buy a 2016 AR240 for less than $50K.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
MSRP is $53K, I would shop around at other dealers.

Generally there is little to no negotiation with Yamaha dealers. On current year model boats you might get some accessories thrown in or a a discount on accessories. It is rare for Yamaha dealers to not sell out but where they can be found boats from previous years are where the best deals are found. For example I bet you could buy a 2016 AR240 for less than $50K.
Correct, leftover models cost the dealers money sitting there, most dealers finance their inventory, it's called flooring, older units add up quickly with interest owed.

http://boatingindustry.com/top-stories/2012/10/01/the-state-of-inventory-finance/

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In Jan 14' I got my 14' for nearly $6K less then MSRP (with extras). . . . . However that was with the 15's being the following year with all the enhancements so.......

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never really bought a brand new Yamaha jet boat but I have been talking to a couple friends that have. They both talk about the "boat show discount" which sounds like it is about $2000 discount.
Does anyone know if the Dealers want you to get financing with them? That is, do the Dealers get any money by selling you the financing? I am thinking I might be able to go all cash on a 2017 212 Limited but I a great (or at least good) deal.
I was wondering if I could use the financing as a bargaining chip. I have used this to get better prices on new cars in the past because the car dealer get some money for me financing through them. I take the financing then I pay it off immediately

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Possibly but i am guessimg that once 2017 actually is here they will budge a little easier. Unless you need to order it.
Best way to check competitive pricing is check ebay for what nation wide dealers are offering.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have never really bought a brand new Yamaha jet boat but I have been talking to a couple friends that have. They both talk about the "boat show discount" which sounds like it is about $2000 discount.
Does anyone know if the Dealers want you to get financing with them? That is, do the Dealers get any money by selling you the financing? I am thinking I might be able to go all cash on a 2017 212 Limited but I a great (or at least good) deal.
I was wondering if I could use the financing as a bargaining chip. I have used this to get better prices on new cars in the past because the car dealer get some money for me financing through them. I take the financing then I pay it off immediately
I have done the let them finance and then pay it off before in the next day or so. I have also let them finance it through whoever they want and if I don't like the finance company or the rate, I refinance after leaving the dealership. Letting them get their commission from the bank has helped with the negotiations, a little extra money in their pocket has trickle down to a better deal for me.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Buy during low season (bought my '16 242X in Nov '15; this way (below)):
Buy from dealer owner, not the salesman. (they may not comp sales and owner gets benefit of quantity, which equals better future margin from Yamaha)
Get multiple, high-volume boat dealers, bidding
Offer to pay cash, or finance (whichever is better for them)
Write check for all in price (boat, tax, tags, accessories,....)
Give check to them and make them say no. (and must be willing to walk away yourself)
Have them not register sale with Yamaha until Jan, when boat show warranty special is available (extra year of YES, in my case)

Bought 2 boats this way.
One ('09) from highest volume Yamaha boat dealer in NorthEast (NJ, we're in VA; but go to NY often)
Most recent ('15), my local dealer did not want to loose another deal, and beat the NJ dealership price

Bottom-line, each time, $1000's under MSRP, with tax, tags, and accessories, included.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tried some of your suggestions, others I couldnt try. I bought at Memorial Day....I know...the worst part of the year....start of the season. I checked dealers in Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. None of them would deal much from the MSRP. All the prices were within a couple hundred dollars of each other. Making the drive from Houston was not worth the price difference. I asked about boat show deals....was told that Yamaha prices are not discounted for the shows, but rather they offer accessories, etc. As for cash/finance...with my dealer...didnt make any difference. I was able to get them to throw in and anchor ($30), anchor chain ($15), 120' anchor rope ($30), fire extinguisher ($30), 4-5 pin trailer wiring adapter ($25), and a premium Yamaha mooring cover ($800). So just under $1000 worth of accessories....best I could get. And since this was the first year for the newly designed 242 Limited SE, there was no option for an earlier year model. They did have a 2015 Chaparal 243 VRX on the floor for a clearance price that was about equal to what I paid for the Yammy. MSRP on the darn thing was $95K clearance price to $69K. Nice boat.....but I had pretty much decided on a Yamaha for various reasons.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's what I thought too, but the manual does not list it as included, and the dealer said that Yamaha doesnt include them as standard equip. He threw one in anyway, but I agree....if it is USCG required, you would think they would have to include them with the boat! Who knows!!!! I guess it is like life jackets....required by USCG, but not provided by the manufacturer.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buy during low season (bought my '16 242X in Nov '15; this way (below)):
Buy from dealer owner, not the salesman. (they may not comp sales and owner gets benefit of quantity, which equals better future margin from Yamaha)
Get multiple, high-volume boat dealers, bidding
Offer to pay cash, or finance (whichever is better for them)
Write check for all in price (boat, tax, tags, accessories,....)
Give check to them and make them say no. (and must be willing to walk away yourself)
Have them not register sale with Yamaha until Jan, when boat show warranty special is available (extra year of YES, in my case)

Bought 2 boats this way.
One ('09) from highest volume Yamaha boat dealer in NorthEast (NJ, we're in VA; but go to NY often)
Most recent ('15), my local dealer did not want to loose another deal, and beat the NJ dealership price

Bottom-line, each time, $1000's under MSRP, with tax, tags, and accessories, included.

Glen - Some good tips. What dealer are you referencing in NJ? I am in Southern MD (right on the lower Potomac River) and head to NY (Albany area) often.
I bought my '09 212ss (it was a Demo and had about 10 hours on it) from Dealer in NJ. Felt like I got a great deal on that boat. Deals to found during those Financial Meltdown Years I suppose.
I am sure you know Fredericksburg Motor Sports. You think they would negotiation? They have a '17 212 Limited that I emailed them about. The sales guy called back and said he work up the numbers for me.....

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bought first from Bay Harbor Motors, on Staten Island. On the first boat I was working with Bobby Arcaty (owner) directly. He appears to be less involved now a days, than in '09.

I'd look North. The further North the sooner and longer the 'boat selling season' closes. The NY dealership said that the beginning of the end of season for them selling boats was just after 4th of July.

Find it fairly often that when I call a dealership, I'll get the owner answering the phone, because the sales guys are on the floor. I use this to establish a relationship with them directly and search out their motivation to make an exception for me (on price). I position myself as someone who has money but looking for knowledge on the ways of Yamaha and that dealership. I need to find a pain of his/theirs, that I can solve for them, by their selling me a boat (at the price I want). Northern dealers don't like to store boats over winter. Many want boats off the lot by Dec 31 for tax savings. Some just want to rip out quantity b/c it gets them better margin when buying from Yamaha. All of them want to keep last years boats from being this Winter's storage issues. One of Bobby's (NY Dealer/owner) motivations was that he should never have been able to sell me (VA) this boat. He was motivated that he was stealing someone elses (region) sale.
If a dealer is not motivated, move on to the next. The boats are exactly the same regardless of where you get it. I'll drive hours to save $1000's.

I did buy this years boat from FMS (local). I initiated with Monti (owner) and hammered out most everything. Showed him the pricing I was getting from the dealer (NY) I bought my last Yamaha from (it stings just a little bit ;-) Did work some with Mike (sales), who finalized all the paperwork. Mike is a good guy, but you will need to be the fuel that drives him forward.

Bottom-line, if you do not create leverage through competition between dealers, then they are likely eating your lunch and getting more of yours ($) than they should. It is their job to do so. Make it your job to at least make it an even exchange.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have just gone through the same process purchasing a 2016 AR240. In my case, I could not find any incentives or discounts associated with taking a loan, from Yamaha or otherwise. My experience is with MO dealers, Surdyke and St Charles Boat and Motor to be specific, so that could be different elsewhere.

There is no question your best prices/incentives will be with the dealer's stock, and the models they most worry about not moving fast.

--

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have just gone through the same process purchasing a 2016 AR240. In my case, I could not find any incentives or discounts associated with taking a loan, from Yamaha or otherwise. My experience is with MO dealers, Surdyke and St Charles Boat and Motor to be specific, so that could be different elsewhere.

There is no question your best prices/incentives will be with the dealer's stock, and the models they most worry about not moving fast.

--
With you @swatski , I have also never found a financial incentive to finance a boat from Yamaha. It seems like there should be but no matter how I dug in to find out, "what's best for you", I never could get any indication they cared about financing. Now buying extended YES, that they will sell their soul for. We regularly have a very uncomfortable actual closing session (signatures) b/c all of that is taken care of (included) before we meet 'the closer', and we're not buying more or interested in other accessory upsell's. (We have also pre-negotiated a 20% discount on all accessories & maintenance materials through the dealer, for the first 90 days....before we get to the closer.)
It brings me joy to frustrate 'the closer'. Now the service manager, I'll bring him a 6 pack to keep him happy. That is the relationship I need to cultivate and maintain.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good tips.
I got a call back from Zach at FMS (in Va). He said his boss quoted a price of $54,000 "out the door" for a 2017 212Limited that they have in stock. I did not get a break down of the price but includes MD 6% (or 5% ) tax and I am sure some stuff like "dealer prep". MSRP is about $49,000...Too pricey for me...Don't think he came down at all. Maybe I will try Glen's tactic and go in the first week of December with a check for $46k or $47k. Don't if could pull it off. Maybe I should be focused on 2016 212ss instead.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I
Good tips.
I got a call back from Zach at FMS (in Va). He said his boss quoted a price of $54,000 "out the door" for a 2017 212Limited that they have in stock. I did not get a break down of the price but includes MD 6% (or 5% ) tax and I am sure some stuff like "dealer prep". MSRP is about $49,000...Too pricey for me...Don't think he came down at all. Maybe I will try Glen's tactic and go in the first week of December with a check for $46k or $47k. Don't if could pull it off. Maybe I should be focused on 2016 212ss instead.
I am not aware of the differences between the 212's (16 to 17).
Bottom-line, you should be able to get the 16 a few thousand less than the 17, and finding a motivated seller of the 16 should be easier to find.

An option would be to hit the half-dozen dealers, w/in 100-ish miles of you, and simply leave them a note in the 'contacts page' and say I am interested in X, and would like to spend Y, should we have a conversation? Let them opt in.
You don't want your note to look like a form letter (they'll avoid), and you want the dealership to perceive that this will be a quick, easy 'kill'.
Of course, you won't be 'quick and easy' but you want them somewhat 'invested' in you, before they realize that your number really is an all in # (taxes, deluxe cover, aluminum trailer, handling charges,....), and you will get it from someone else, if not them. BTW, the great weather we're having right now actually hurts your negotiation. A few weeks from now when we start having some freezing weather at night, actually helps you (motivates them as the 'no selling season' has begun. I bought mine in Nov last year.)

I say this b/c I was able to buy (from FMS) my '16 boat (in '15) for 3K under MSRP, with taxes, cover, aluminum, handling charges all included.
You can too, you just need to 'work it'. Good hunting! (Be the hunter, not hunted ;-)

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I

I am not aware of the differences between the 212's (16 to 17).
Bottom-line, you should be able to get the 16 a few thousand less than the 17, and finding a motivated seller of the 16 should be easier to find.

An option would be to hit the half-dozen dealers, w/in 100-ish miles of you, and simply leave them a note in the 'contacts page' and say I am interested in X, and would like to spend Y, should we have a conversation? Let them opt in.
You don't want your note to look like a form letter (they'll avoid), and you want the dealership to perceive that this will be a quick, easy 'kill'.
Of course, you won't be 'quick and easy' but you want them somewhat 'invested' in you, before they realize that your number really is an all in # (taxes, deluxe cover, aluminum trailer, handling charges,....), and you will get it from someone else, if not them. BTW, the great weather we're having right now actually hurts your negotiation. A few weeks from now when we start having some freezing weather at night, actually helps you (motivates them as the 'no selling season' has begun. I bought mine in Nov last year.)

I say this b/c I was able to buy (from FMS) my '16 boat (in '15) for 3K under MSRP, with taxes, cover, aluminum, handling charges all included.
You can too, you just need to 'work it'. Good hunting! (Be the hunter, not hunted ;-)
I plan to pretty much do what you laid out. But now I am considering (leaning toward) new left over 2016 sx240's.
BTW- I think there are big differences between '16 212 and '17 212 series. They did away with 212SS in 2017. The 2016's 212 series don't have the hinged seats, Conext systems (or whatever its called), Quiet Cruise technology, and Articulating Keel thingy-a-bob. It seems all the 2016 24footers had all these items but not 21 footers. I could be wrong...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm in the same situation. I live in southern MD, I've been looking at buying a Yamaha for years. I've done demo rides at different dealers (NJ & MD). I was set on a 212ss, but once the new 212 models came out I liked the 212 limited s. Long story short, I did a demo ride on the 212 limited s & love it. I priced out a few dealers (PA, MD, VA, NJ) and the Baltimore dealer matched the best price I got. It may have been pre-mature, but I put a $1,000 deposit on the 212 limited s. This held the boat for me and the price. According to the dealer they only ordered 3 of the 212 limited s. I'm just waiting to see what incentives are offered at the Baltimore boat show in late January before I finance the rest.