• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 212 Limited S vs 212x

Kennyr740

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are trying to decide between the 212 Limited S or 212X. I would like to hear the pros and cons of both. Is the 212X worth the price increase over the 212 Limited S?

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We went through the same decision making process. In the end, we went with the 212 Limited S. Going from the Limited S to the X, you are getting ballast tanks, wake-board racks, a better tow mirror, upgraded audio, and flashier vinyl on the sides. The only thing that really interested me out of that list was the upgraded audio (the X adds a Wetsounds soundbar in the tower, a sub next to the captain's chair, and probably an amp somewhere), but for quite a bit less than the price delta between the two models, I can put in a killer custom audio system if I want. If you are into water-sports, the ballast tanks would probably be nice to have but to me it was just another system to maintain, and also consumes a good bit of storage space between the hard tanks in the left and right rear compartments and the soft bag in the ski locker.

Kennyr740

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for your input. I'm new to jet boats and ski boats. I have a bass boat now but it doesn't fit our needs anymore. We will do some skiing and wakeboarding some but probably not enough to justify the ballast. Are you planning on doing any upgrades? If so what? Did you have the issue with anchor storage drain as some others have found?

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only major upgrade I'm planning at the moment is the audio system. The biggest problem I have with it is that I can't hear anything when underway at moderate cruising speeds. Part of the problem is speaker placement (with the two cockpit speakers placed behind the captain and copilot chairs), and the other part is that the stock head unit is severely under-powered compared to the wattage the Polk speakers can handle.

Other than that, I'm considering either a full vinyl wrap of the hull or just some custom graphics to make it stand out from the crowd a bit. There are a bunch of other Yamaha boats on our lake, so I'd like to differentiate mine a bit.

Regarding the anchor locker drain, I didn't have the gap that others have noticed, but it did look a little "unfinished" on the locker side of the drain. Just to be safe I plugged that drain with some silicone caulk a week or so ago. Once it is good and dry, I'm going to drill through the caulk, essentially creating the "tube" that should have been there in the first place.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I added sub amp and additional speakers to my 2013 and added the Bass boat mod on the nose. She fishes well

Kennyr740

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only major upgrade I'm planning at the moment is the audio system. The biggest problem I have with it is that I can't hear anything when underway at moderate cruising speeds. Part of the problem is speaker placement (with the two cockpit speakers placed behind the captain and copilot chairs), and the other part is that the stock head unit is severely under-powered compared to the wattage the Polk speakers can handle.

Other than that, I'm considering either a full vinyl wrap of the hull or just some custom graphics to make it stand out from the crowd a bit. There are a bunch of other Yamaha boats on our lake, so I'd like to differentiate mine a bit.

Regarding the anchor locker drain, I didn't have the gap that others have noticed, but it did look a little "unfinished" on the locker side of the drain. Just to be safe I plugged that drain with some silicone caulk a week or so ago. Once it is good and dry, I'm going to drill through the caulk, essentially creating the "tube" that should have been there in the first place.
We went and checked it out Friday but I found here the locker issue after we looked at it so when we go to look at it again I will check it out. I'm interested to see this audio system because I've seen a few complaints from it. Also I will the limited s came in the blue that the 212x comes in. Graphics is a most Do you have a chartplotter? I'm having a hard time trying to decide where to put one. Also do you see a need for trim tabs?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Evil Sports also added keel guard to the entire bottom of his boat, just in case.:)

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We went and checked it out Friday but I found here the locker issue after we looked at it so when we go to look at it again I will check it out. I'm interested to see this audio system because I've seen a few complaints from it. Also I will the limited s came in the blue that the 212x comes in. Graphics is a most Do you have a chartplotter? I'm having a hard time trying to decide where to put one. Also do you see a need for trim tabs?
I don't have a chartplotter... yet. I'm primarily a freshwater boater on really well marked lakes, but we do live close enough to the Long Island sound that I may explore out there at some point. I had read rumors regarding integration of chartplotters/fishfinders into the Connext screen, which would be awesome but I think they were just rumors. Trim tabs would probably be good for adjusting to moderate chop, but again since I'm a lake boater (on a relatively small lake) I don't really need to worry about that.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We're buying the 212X. This is our 3rd runabout and we're doing it so we have more entertainment options (water sports) to keep the kids interested in going to the lake.

Aren't the motors different from the S to the X model?

Kennyr740

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Liquid Therapy The connext system really takes away a nice area to put a chartplotter and imo yamaha didn't really leave you much room to put one that goes with the flow of everything. Yeah the dealer said that really couldn't get a straight forward answer from his rep. I don't like the fact that I won't have trim. I plan on using it on the local lakes here in Alabama plus along the coast. Plus we are going to do a little scuba diving out of it. The rear swim platform is perfect for it.

@GoVols01 same motor for both boat from everything that I have read. Same motors on the 24' also. P.S. Roll Tide.

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, the motors are the same. The 210's have the TR1's and the 212's have the 1.8's

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Kenny my mod list is a follows,
Keelguard
Minnkota 24 v 80# thrust 60 shaft
24 volt wiring and 2 blue optimas
3 bank charger
bilge float switch
amp, sub and speakers.
Lowrance Elite 7 right of wheel
HUmminbird 896 bow
flush mount rod holders
Quick connect anchor locker puck for Minnkota
Cobra fins
seadeck rear mats

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find myself drawn to the 212 limited S as well. 212x is off the table because our watersports is at a novice (if that) level with very young kids. I am in between the limited S and the AR 240. Roughly around the same price and both offer ample room for our needs.

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Last summer I was ready to move up to that AR but once I saw there was not really any additional cabin space and the space was all up front I stayed with my 212.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 240 is bigger bow and the swim platform is larger and cabin space is the same. A lot of that extra bow space would go unused for me. That would keep me from upgrading but since I am boatless and they are roughly the same price I am leaning 240. Although I think the 212 limited s has a more sportier / sleeker look.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If the bow space is not something yer really going to benefit from then to me its not worth having that big of a boat for towing, slip fees and insurance ect. And trust me I was at the dealer last summer ready to sign but while I was sitting in the cabin with my son I realized it was no bigger there than my 21 but the nose was long.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good point. The bigger is better adage does have it's prices.