• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 212X Top Speed

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I read on Yamaha's site they advertise a 55mph top speed. In most review videos I have seen, it is more like 50-52mph. But, I have not been able to get mine over 48mph so far. The lake I go to is at 800ft elevation so I don't think that's affecting anything. Did Yamaha inflate performance a bit or is mine just some slower?

Also, this boat seems to be affected by weight way more than my old sterndrive boats. 48mph with 2 on board, 42 with 5 on board. I never saw that type of drop from a few more people before. Is that normal? Thanks!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ribbon delete done on a 60 degree day. I was the only one on the boat, but 56 ain't bad (not GPS confirmed). Fuel was regular with a ton of Stabil from the winter.

IMG_7263.jpg

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does that ribbon delete help?

Also, I thought the speedo in the 212x was a GPS speed?

I'd be happy with 50+ anything really. I definitely expected a 52-55mph boat when I bought it!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does that ribbon delete help?

Also, I thought the speedo in the 212x was a GPS speed?

I'd be happy with 50+ anything really. I definitely expected a 52-55mph boat when I bought it!
Ribbon delete added 2 mph. Not sure if the spedo is GPS? Makes sense though.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The least amount of people I've had in my boat ever is 4 and the max speed I've ever seen so far was 46 mph @ around 7300 rpm. I too was expecting to be able to hit at least 50. Speed isn't really an issue to me but its more about my boat performing as it should and wondering if it is and if not, why? Haven't really dug into this aspect of the boat yet though. On the surface it seems to run excellent without any issue like cavitation or anything - just tops out before I would have expected this boat to.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe all connext boats are gps speedometers
I know my 16 ar240 is

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine hits close to 50 with 4 aboard and Bimini open. I hit 55 once when I was the only one aboard and the Bimini was closed. Close your bimini, otherwise it’s a giant parachute.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Mine hits close to 50 with 4 aboard and Bimini open. I hit 55 once when I was the only one aboard and the Bimini was closed. Close your bimini, otherwise it’s a giant parachute.
What RPMs are running at top speed?

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
+1 to GoVols
The Bimini is a parachute and I’ve hit 50-51 w/it open by myself and 70% fuel, have no doubts could get closer to 55mph w/it closed and less fuel load and gear on the boat... but I’m at 300ft elevation & rpm @ 7600-7800

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Be helpful to me to get a full pictur comparison if you know what rpms you are at when you guys are hitting these speeds.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My only real try at a top speed run was with a full tank of fuel, 2 people on board and the bimini top not extended. At 600' elevation, I hit 48mph. No clue on rpms since it was my first time out on the boat.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I have 4 on board and the bimini open, I can't get over 43mph. Pretty disappointing.

I am gonna do the ribbon delete and see what that does. Anybody know how long that takes on these boats? Thanks!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday i tried for comparison
Bimmini open, full tank myself with aprox 200lbs of extra gear. Hit 50 with 15mph winds and my max rpms
Port 7550 starboard 7400

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess I need to do some research on the ribbon deletes and what is necessary. I definitely would like to see speeds close to what @geohil is seeing!

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Damn, 56!!! I've seen 49 on mine, once. with me, my wife and my 6 year old son and all our crap I see 46/47, bimini folded. 900 ft.

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2017 2012X here - I've seen 49 max with bimini up and <50% gas. That being said, the Connectx says max is 55 - not sure if that's true or simulated at the factory : )

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2017 2012X here - I've seen 49 max with bimini up and <50% gas. That being said, the Connectx says max is 55 - not sure if that's true or simulated at the factory : )
Probrably driven by a horse jockey with less than 10% fuel, no carpet, nothing but a stripped boat.