• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242 limited S E rpm matching

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought this boat new. Overall I love it but having a couple of small issues.

When I test drove my boat I got it up to 52mph I think. I took delivery two days later and top speed is about 46mph with just me in the boat.

At full throttle one motor is significantly lower rpm than the other in both sync mode or not. This pic is full throttle. Should I just take it back to the dealer?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought this boat new. Overall I love it but having a couple of small issues.

When I test drove my boat I got it up to 52mph I think. I took delivery two days later and top speed is about 46mph with just me in the boat.

At full throttle one motor is significantly lower rpm than the other in both sync mode or not. This pic is full throttle. Should I just take it back to the dealer?
100RPM difference (higher on port engine) is expected at WOT. That said, your RPM is a tad low-ish, but not by much. It will loosen up a bit with use. Was it warmer weather when you tested today?

--

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, good to know. The weather was almost identical. What should the RPM hit? The boat has about 3 hours on it I believe.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
7,400-7,500RPM is about the max f0r most boats, but in winter months you can get another 100-200RPM bump (when it's cool and dry). Ribbon delete will get you another 100-200RPM.
But I would wait a bit, your engines are not even broken in yet.

--

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
That's about what I get on mine with 38 hours. A little disappointed. I also got higher rpm and mph when first took it out. Also some ribbon delete. Not sure what is going on.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weather is a big factor. After ribbon delete I'm running 7,600-7,800RPM WOT when it's cold - 50+mph. Basically, riding on the rev limiter or so close to it.
Here is a clip of a crispy cold and dry December ride - air in the low 40s, water in the low 50s - WOT run at 50+ as long as I want to go.
But on a day like today - humid 80 deg air, 75 water - 7,500-7,600RPM and 47-48mph at WOT.

Yamaha does all their "testing" in the Winter (go figure).
I'm assuming the E-series are regulated the same as far as the ECU tuning, but that could also be a factor. I know that the reverse RPM is different and it is way more restrictive in the Es.

--

Last edited: