• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242x stock stereo system!

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys im new to this forum stuff but needing some help with my stock sound system on my Yamaha, hoping someone else has noticed the same thing with the sound not being as loud as it should be and having to leave it on 90% plus for the wakeboarder to hear it. The looks of everything you'd think it would have much more potential and wondering if there is some different ways I can switch some wires around or adjust the amps to make it louder. It has a pa40004 and a pa50005 amp with two 6.5 wake tower speakers and a 10 inch sub plus the 6 interior speakers but not sure how it's all wired

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome to the forum.

Well to start, you need to re-wire the sound bar and rear cockpit speakers. They are wired in series and should have been wired parallel. That will make a very noticeable difference.

The next biggest issue is the sub. It is very weak at 4 ohms. Most people add a second one to the starboard side and wire it parallel to get a 2 ohm load on the amp and that seems to do the trick.

Or you could follow the lead of @jcyamaharider and replace EVERYTHING. Check out his build by doing a quick search. From what I've read, you can hear his 3 states away when it's at 25%. :D:D

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know which amp is used for the sub and the sound bar? Sorry I don't know much I've looked it over but those harnesses are a pain to trace.

And thank you for the quick response!

Last edited:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is a harness behind the port side rear cabin speaker. All the wires in the harness are labeled and color coded.

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Alright thanks, I'll see if I can figure it out without messing anything else up! Haha I'll let y'all know in a few days if I get a chance to mess with it again.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys im new to this forum stuff but needing some help with my stock sound system on my Yamaha, hoping someone else has noticed the same thing with the sound not being as loud as it should be and having to leave it on 90% plus for the wakeboarder to hear it. The looks of everything you'd think it would have much more potential and wondering if there is some different ways I can switch some wires around or adjust the amps to make it louder. It has a pa40004 and a pa50005 amp with two 6.5 wake tower speakers and a 10 inch sub plus the 6 interior speakers but not sure how it's all wired
Definitely check out @Rod5 tricks here, too:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/242x-stereo-how-to-exploit-free-unused-watts.13256/

--

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys, this has helped me out a lot! I'm sure I'll have some more questions later if I decide to change it up from stock but this will for sure get me started!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Tony Johnson I really enjoy my stereo and so does everyone else that is on the same........ lake. LOL Seriously things to for sure do is rewire the sound bar like @F.M. said and the sub on our boat is a joke for an IB application. IF that sub was in a box I bet it would be a different story. Also having coaxial speakers on the tower is not going to get out to wake board length, The core 10 will do a good job at surf length when rewired.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is the wiring diagram post I made on how to wire the tower sound bar to its own amp:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-242x-stereo.14132/page-2#post-273146

It makes a HUGE difference to the sound bar when you do this.

That said, if you are trying to throw sound back to a wakeboarder, you might want to look into horn loaded speakers (HLCD) to achieve that end. Their fidelity is lower, but they can project further. Or just buy your boarders waterproof headphones/ear buds!

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks again guys, y'all are making this a lot easier to understand I'll check those post out, but I was also thinking about changing the tower speakers to a 12kmted kicker setup, I know that's cheap compared to what y'all are running but they have the (HLCD) and will my factory amp push those fine how it's hooked up? And I have a 2 ohms sub already laying around, if I just change that sub out will that be the same as adding one?

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Tony Johnson I really enjoy my stereo and so does everyone else that is on the same........ lake. LOL Seriously things to for sure do is rewire the sound bar like @F.M. said and the sub on our boat is a joke for an IB application. IF that sub was in a box I bet it would be a different story. Also having coaxial speakers on the tower is not going to get out to wake board length, The core 10 will do a good job at surf length when rewired.
Yeah I wish I could afford to set mine up like yours, it sounds awesome, maybe one day! Lol

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't heard those speakers in person but I bet they are no joke. You will need 200 watts ( per amazon ) to power those. I don't know if that is per set or per pod. That will dictate if you will need another amp or not. I know the 4000.4 puts out 125 rms per channel @ 4 ohm.

AS far as the sub you will get more power out of the amp but you will still have the same surface area of sub so I would say it is a try and see thing.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I wish I could afford to set mine up like yours, it sounds awesome, maybe one day! Lol
You don't have to spend the money that I did to have a great sounding stereo. Buy what you want and build as you go. My wife and I are stereo junkies so that is what gets upgraded on our boat.

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't heard those speakers in person but I bet they are no joke. You will need 200 watts ( per amazon ) to power those. I don't know if that is per set or per pod. That will dictate if you will need another amp or not. I know the 4000.4 puts out 125 rms per channel @ 4 ohm.

AS far as the sub you will get more power out of the amp but you will still have the same surface area of sub so I would say it is a try and see thing.
Alright yeah Just cost me a little time so won't be too bad, did you keep your amps in the stock place on that board or move them when adding?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Alright yeah Just cost me a little time so won't be too bad, did you keep your amps in the stock place on that board or move them when adding?
I am running 4 amps now and 3 batteries. I built me a "tower of power" and put it behind the helm. I ran "0" awg OFC wire to a distribution block and 4 awg ofc wire to each amp.

20180408_151045.jpg

The wires are cleaned up now, I will have to snap a new pic of that compartment.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am running 4 amps now and 3 batteries. I built me a "tower of power" and put it behind the helm. I ran "0" awg OFC wire to a distribution block and 4 awg ofc wire to each amp.

View attachment 71668

The wires are cleaned up now, I will have to snap a new pic of that compartment.
With that servo box it looks like the Tower of Pisa, lol.

--

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah that looks good, that might be my winter project this year because I hate where they are at now!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah that looks good, that might be my winter project this year because I hate where they are at now!
If I didn't have to move them I wouldn't have, it was a PITA.