• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR210 Bimini - rope contacting while towing

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When my Bimini is open, and pulling wakeboarders, the rope rubs up against the Bimini top. The rope is underneath the top. But either I'm a moron, or the design seems flawed. Especially when the rider is cutting out hard the rope is bent around the top. Anyone else see this?

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you connecting the tow rope above or below the bimini???

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Below. Not the best pic, but you can kind of see it here

Attachments

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Below. Not the best pic, but you can kind of see it here
Attach the rope above the Bimini. Throw the rope on top of it and put your hand through the zipper to attach it. That way the tow tow rope is always above the Bimini not under it.

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Attach the rope above the Bimini. Throw the rope on top of it and put your hand through the zipper to attach it. That way the tow tow rope is always above the Bimini not under it.
I don't think that would work on my boat. With the rope above the Bimini it will bend around the bimin and pulling a skier up will pull down hard on the Bimini.

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Works perfectly on my 2017 212x... the tower looks the same? Is it different ?

I don't think that would work on my boat. With the rope above the Bimini it will bend around the bimin and pulling a skier up will pull down hard on the Bimini.

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, you've really got me second guessing myself. You are right that the towers are exactly the same. I even found a picture online of a 212x towing from above.

However, it still looks to me that the rope is rubbing the back of the bimini, with it above.

My bimini in the back has 3 adjustments. I read the owners manual, and it says to always put it on the longest one. I'm wondering if i can put in on a lower setting, which would make the back of the bimini lower (allowing the rope to clear easier).

Attachments

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Isn't it pulling on the Bimini from below???

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Currently you are towing with the rope below the Bimini ... it's pulling on the Bimini ? Hence your original post. Try attaching it above and see how it goes? It works perfectly for me

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I've attached it above and below the bimini. It contacts it either way.

If the rope is below the bimini, it mostly only contacts when I'm off of center behind the boat. Above the bimini and it contacts all the time, except off to the left or right.
The best way I've found so far is to pull down hard on the back of the bimini (stretching it super tight) to get it to lock in the second longest hole, instead of the longest. And then put the rope on top. Even then, it rubs on the top, just not quite as bad.

Also interesting is that ALL of the yamaha pictures of this boat for 2018 show the boat without the bimini even on the boat. I am really curious how anyone with a 21' yamaha boat pulls wakeboarders - without rubbing on the bimini.

The manual says the rear adjustment should always be in the longest position, and offers no explanation of what the other positions are for.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I dont know about other models specifically but the 242 ls towers have changed several times since they were introduced in 2010. At first the rear supports were straps so the rear of the bimini could not be raised or lowered and the tow line was supposed to go under the bimini. In later years the rear supports were telescoping poles and they were supposed to be dropped to the lowest setting and the tow line was to be over the rop of the bimini. I think the same is true of the latest models except those with a large fixed/non collapsible bimini whose tow line is suppose to be under it. All this to say if you have adjustable rear supports try dropping them first to see if chafing continues as the line is over the top. If so raise them and check for chafing as the line is under the top.

One after market alternative is an extension which holds the line a few feet away from the tower tow point. I got one from "fly high" wakeboarding products but never use it as i dont use the tower tow point much at all.

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont know about other models specifically but the 242 ls towers have changed several times since they were introduced in 2010. At first the rear supports were straps so the rear of the bimini could not be raised or lowered and the tow line was supposed to go under the bimini. In later years the rear supports were telescoping poles and they were supposed to be dropped to the lowest setting and the tow line was to be over the rop of the bimini. I think the same is true of the latest models except those with a large fixed/non collapsible bimini whose tow line is suppose to be under it. All this to say if you have adjustable rear supports try dropping them first to see if chafing continues as the line is over the top. If so raise them and check for chafing as the line is under the top.

One after market alternative is an extension which holds the line a few feet away from the tower tow point. I got one from "fly high" wakeboarding products but never use it as i dont use the tower tow point much at all.

My buddy has a 242x, same year as mine, with the really big bimini, and his clearly has to go under. It's not so clear on mine. And I can't find anything from Yamaha on how this is supposed to work.

I tried to adjust the rear supports, but it takes quite a bit of force (literally two people - one on each side) to lower it down one click. This helps the problem if the rope is on top. There is no way that it can be stretched to extend the rear supports two notches. Unless the front poles were possibly reversed to raised the bimini in the front.

I am just confused at why a wakeboard boat would have trouble with something so basic to it's core functionality. Everything is 100% stock, and I can't pull a wakeboarder with the bimini up????

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think yamaha makes the bininis on its towered boats a little longer than what is considered standard in the industry. If you take a look at the bimini tops on other brands of boats with towers i think you will find that most are very short and barely shade the driver and co-pilot whereas the yamaha bimini is just a little bit longer. Unfortuneatly the trade off is or seems to be problems with chaffing.

I will send you a pic and measurments of my fly high extension, assuming i remember to do so when i get home. If you want it, its yours for the cost of shipping. Fyi its currently in my garage sale pile but i doubt i would be able to sell it at a garage sale and showing it at a garage sale will likely only give rise to recurring questions about it, to the point where my response may be "if you don't know what it is it is not for you".

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you watch this video from boattest.com with a professional wakeboarder they clearly tow from above the bimini. I tow from above the bimini exactly as they show in this video and have had zero issues ever..... Perhaps your bimini came from the dealer adjusted differently????

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you watch this video from boattest.com with a professional wakeboarder they clearly tow from above the bimini. I tow from above the bimini exactly as they show in this video and have had zero issues ever..... Perhaps your bimini came from the dealer adjusted differently????
Maybe. I don’t see any adjustment aside from the back legs so I am not sure. These two pictures aren’t exactly the same angle. But in the video the back of the Bimini looks like it would easily clear, while mine looks more like the blue boat- the back of the Bimini has a flare that goes up almost higher than the tow point.

Attachments

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think yamaha makes the bininis on its towered boats a little longer than what is considered standard in the industry. If you take a look at the bimini tops on other brands of boats with towers i think you will find that most are very short and barely shade the driver and co-pilot whereas the yamaha bimini is just a little bit longer. Unfortuneatly the trade off is or seems to be problems with chaffing.

I will send you a pic and measurments of my fly high extension, assuming i remember to do so when i get home. If you want it, its yours for the cost of shipping. Fyi its currently in my garage sale pile but i doubt i would be able to sell it at a garage sale and showing it at a garage sale will likely only give rise to recurring questions about it, to the point where my response may be "if you don't know what it is it is not for you".
I’m curious what it is, I haven’t heard of it before. While I’m not opposed to it if it fixes the problem, I’m not sure why the factory setup with the factory Bimini doesn’t work for me. I feel like the problem is much worse than chafing. All the weight of the rider is put on the Bimini hardware.

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking at those pictures they do look very different!!!!!!!
But what i can't understand is if its really pulling when on towing from the top (which I can understand looking at the above pic) then why wouldn't it work perfectly why towing below????? Like the 242s??? I am stumped now :eek:

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at those pictures they do look very different!!!!!!!
But what i can't understand is if its really pulling when on towing from the top (which I can understand looking at the above pic) then why wouldn't it work perfectly why towing below????? Like the 242s??? I am stumped now :eek:
Look at the picture I put on a previous post. It rubs just barely when pulling directly behind the boat. But cutting outside the wake the rope bends around the frame of the Bimini when the rope is underneath.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m curious what it is, I haven’t heard of it before. While I’m not opposed to it if it fixes the problem, I’m not sure why the factory setup with the factory Bimini doesn’t work for me. I feel like the problem is much worse than chafing. All the weight of the rider is put on the Bimini hardware.
I could not easily locate mine but here is a link to one at overtons. Let me know if you are interested and i will keep an eye out for mine.

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fly-High-Rope-Guide&i=17540