• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 VRX 223 ordered, need a few measurements.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey all, been boating my whole life, making the move to the modern jet-boat realm, and after several months of research have ordered a 2017 VRX 223. I bought a 25-foot Sea Ray stern drive with big-block last year, and just don't like it at all. Way too heavy, almost impossible to maneuver in the slip, etc. Hey, it happens, sometimes you don't know about a boat until you own it a while.

A few new options for 2017 on the Vortex. Base price went up about $1k on all the motor options, not a surprise I guess. The Medallion screen is now 7" vs 6.5, and the price doubled, from $744 to $1495 on the option. Now called the Viper II, no idea why the huge price jump on it, so I sure hope it has a few new features for that big jump. All the other options seemed to have gone up a little in price, although small jumps.

Also available optionally is a steering wheel with Viper II Medallion controls on it. Sort of like most modern cars, you can control basically everything in the Medallion right there on the wheel. The rest looks pretty much the same to me, aside from Aqua color going away, replaced by a bright, Electric Blue. I do believe the entire throttle control system is new or updated for 2017 as well, and the claim is it provides a real neutral, we'll see.

Anyway, I need to have the Hydrohoist lift in my slip adjusted for it, so was hoping someone with a 223 could take a couple measurements for me. I think a 243 would probably be the same, so that would work too.

First, I need the distance between the rear boards on the trailer, how far apart they are, inside to inside.

Also need the total length of the rear swim platform overhang, past the bottom rear edge of the transom. How far from the bottom edge of the boat, to the very tip of the platform? (Looks about 24-30 inches?)

No idea how long it will take to receive, but I'll post some pics of the updated 2017 options when it arrives, if no one else has by then.

Thanks, lots of good info on this forum that helped me a lot.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats!! You're going to love the 223. I'll be pulling my boat out of the water some time in the next few weeks, so I'll be able to get the measurements for you then, if someone else doesn't get the before.

I'm real courious as to what else was added or changed in the medallion to warrant the price change and name change.

If you get a chance, add your location to your profile. Nice to know where our sister boats are living.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks, that would be great! I can't find any info on the difference in the Medallion, to warrant doubling in price. The Vortex web site is woefully lacking in any information on any of the options unfortunately. If I do get any more info I'll pass it on. I do know it allows the steering wheel controls, and has a new throttle control as well. (pics attached)

Updated my location info, thanks for the reminder.

Really looking forward to this boat. I'm 51, but bought my first boat in 8th grade with my brother, with money we made mowing lawns, and I've owned just about every type of boat since then. V-drive competition wake boats, tunnel-hull outboards capable of > 100 mph, old-school jet boats with big block and open headers, various PWCs, etc, you name it.

I was blown away by the Vortex when I test drove one. What's crazy is I test drove a 243 with 2x 200's still in break-in mode, and it was still very impressive. I am really looking forward to my 223 with 2x 250. (I do not need nor want a 24 footer.)

I also tested the Yamahas, which first got me looking at the Jet drives, and honestly, for ME, it left me cold and unimpressed handling wise. As a very experienced boater it felt like they had taken it TOO extreme on tracking with that deep keel, it felt literally glued to the water, way too tight. Perfect for a new boater or a day out with the family, but to me the Vortex felt much more like a performance stern-drive, a bit looser, much more like what I'm used to. I also found the reverse-buckets on the Rotax jet drives much, much more controllable at slow speeds and reverse. It felt totally natural to me, immediately. The Rotax engines sound way better too, IMO. Additionally the Yamahas felt way too deep for me, I don't like a boat that deep, I feel encased.

Anyway, not bashing the Yamaha, they are somewhat the standard bearer for the modern jet boats, and it's a wonderful ride, but the Vortex just fit ME personally so much better. I left the demo ride grinning ear to ear, and that's what it's all about.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Awesome to hear man! Hope the boat serves you well for many years. Let me know how fast it goes for sure!

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ok, zero activity in the Chaparral section, someone has to be able to take a couple measurements for me. :) A 223 or 243 would do.

First, I need the overhang of the back platform, basically how far back it sticks from the bottom edge of the boat, from right where the boards are on the trailer. (To determine how far the lift boards need to be from the dock.) If that boat has the extended surf platform, don't include that, just the farthest back point of the main platform.

2nd, how far apart the trailer boards are, outside edge, to outside edge. If you can get both back, and front boards that would be great, but if not, at least the back ones. Attached a couple pics showing what I need.

TIA!

10-7-2016 8-22-36 PM_001.jpg 10-7-2016 9-57-03 PM_001.jpg

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd love to help but I only have a 203. Good luck getting this, and bumping up for ya!

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My 223 is at the dealer right now. When I get it back, I'd be happy to take some measurements for you. Hoping for this weekend.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That would be awesome, thanks man!

PS, waiting on my boat from the factory is freaking killing me. Just keep reminding myself, winter is almost here anyway, lol.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You're gonna LOVE it once it arrives. I'm glad I got the Chaparral over the Yamaha. It seems to me like it's an all-around better boat.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You're gonna LOVE it once it arrives. I'm glad I got the Chaparral over the Yamaha. It seems to me like it's an all-around better boat.
Agree; I tested both quite a bit. I've pretty much a lifetime boat owner, and to me I liked the Chap (quite a bit) better, but the Yamaha is a great boat in many ways, there's a reason they sell so many. What's kind of funny is I was looking at the Yamahas, had demo'd one, and was in the shop looking at their in-stock boats, and saw a Vortex on the floor. "What's that?", I asked, not knowing Chaparral even made a jet-drive boat. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Did you get the boat out of the shop yet I was wondering? Got my lift scheduled to be moved on a few days, getting desperate! lol

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No, not out yet. They just did the sea trial. I can't get up there during the week and have to wait until the weekends to drive the 2 hours.

Like you, I was also looking at the Yamahas. Have been looking at them for years and I could tell you EVERYTHING about them. My original plan was to get an AR240, but when we saw the Chap on the lot, the wife was sold. There's a saying..."Happy Wife, Happy Life". So, I reluctantly pulled the trigger and am now glad I did. I really wanted something a bit bigger, but am glad I went with the 223. It's an incredibly strong boat and will put you back in the seat when you really get on it. I'm not crazy about the ballast system. It takes up a lot of storage space and just seems to be in the way a lot of the time. If you're interested in a ballast system (if you don't already have one), I'll make you a sweet deal on it.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No worries, if you do get it this weekend and have a chance to measure, that would be great. I did a pixel-count calculation based on the side view of the boat online, and came out with 22.5" overhang for the back, which is probably close enough.

Re size of boats; been there, done that. I've had many boats, all 21.5 or under, so last year I decided to upsize, hoping for a better rough water ride, bit more room, etc. Bought a Sea Ray 240 Bow Rider (25.5 LOA), and immediately regretted it.

Yeah, it was much better in the rough stuff, cruised like a Cadillac, but otherwise I pretty much hated it. Was much heavier, felt like going from a new Corvette to a 1977 Oldsmobile handling wise. Was a total B to get in the slip, etc. Additionally, my testosterone got the best of me, so I found one with the 496 Magnum big block, which takes half the boat, so it had LESS interior space than my previous Malibu V-drive 21.5, lol. Fail all around, other than sounding bitch'n, and topping out near 60. (All hail the 496 Magnum, lol.)

I test drove a Yamaha 242S and then after discovering the Vortex, a 243 w/ 2x 250, and honestly was amazed how well the 243 handled and how much lighter it felt, despite being almost as long as the Sea Ray. What I loved about the jet-drive boats (all) is the much larger interior for a given boat size, even more interior space than my Malibu V-drive had. There are huge advantages to having those two smaller engines down low.

Anyway, long story short, I did love the way the 243 drove and wife loved it, but since we're now empty nesters, usually just us and a couple friends, just don't need a boat that big, and I did NOT want to get into the situation I had with the Sea Ray, hard time fitting it in the slip, etc. Didn't want to go down to a 20, so the 22 seemed perfect, and the 223 has so much interior room compared to my 25' Sea Ray it's insane. It's like double the interior space, with a boat 3-feet shorter. Win-win!

I haven't even demo'd a 223, so I don't know how it will feel, but the 243 was awesome, even though the motors were still in break-in mode, and I expect the 223 to be even more so, handling wise. We both loved the aqua, and were actually going to order that color to be different, but they stopped making it in 2017. Almost went with the new Electric Blue, but finalized on my favorite colors instead, red/black.

Regarding the ballast system, that's OK, you can keep it, lol. Like I said, empty nesters now, but I spent 1995 - 2015 with competition Wakeboard/ski boats, all with ballast systems for the kids, when I was younger and wakeboarded a lot myself. Last one was the Malibu 21 VLX, and I don't think I even filled the ballast the last 3-4 years I had it, except the rears to make the platform lower for swimming, or the bow tank to try to cut the waves, lol. Kids are gone, stock wake is plenty for me when I do wakeboard (rarely now), and I already got bored with surfing. I intentionally ordered my 223 with no ballast, don't want to mess with that stuff any more, lol. (I will probably regret it if I sell the boat, I bet the ballast would help resale.)

I just want a high-performance boat that handles, yet is also great for entertaining the wife and a few friends, anchoring and swimming (rear entertainment area), and occasional fun water sports. These modern jet boats really fit the bill in spades, I am surprised I'm not seeing more of them, possibly will in the future.

Now the wait for mine to be built, man it's killing me, winter is almost here, sigh...

ScottyOK

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
If mine ever gets out of the shop I'll post the measurements if it hasn't been done yet.