• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 World Record Jetboaters.Net gathering attempt

What lake works best for you. July or August

• Lake Texoma

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Lake Ouachita

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Last edited:

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouachita hands down! Caribbean of the Midwest (well I usually use this term to describe Bull Shoals lake, but those are similar)
Amazing visibility in these lakes.

And -- check this out -- the great state of Arkansas makes it legal to spearfish for walleye and stripers!

Seriously some of the best freshwater free diving and scuba diving. Not to mention - the fish from these lakes is delicious! Fish fry anyone?

--

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that's what I'm talking about! We would love a good fish fry. Since it looks like we're going to be keeping the Yamaha after all we'd be up for any of these beautiful clear lakes of Arkansas to explore. As long as there's reasonable priced lodging that's clean and close to the lake I'm all in. Let's do it!!:winkingthumbsup"

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As long as there's reasonable priced lodging that's clean and close to the lake I'm all in. Let's do it!!
There is a wide variety of lodging available the least expensive lodging at the lake is around $90 per night for units suitable for four. The nicest lodging starts around $200 for a one bed and range up to $600. There also is a large amount of hotel accommodation in nearby Hot Springs. Most of the marinas have camping and RV spots. If families wanted to group together house boat rental could be an affordable option. All of the on lake lodging is controlled by the Corp of Engineers and maintained to high standards.

Here is a map of Lake Ouachita

I am copying this over year old info over from the other thread. Here is a long pitch I previously wrote for Ouachita.

Having just returned from Shelbyville I am excited by what we could have for our area.

I have attached the Shelbyville agenda so that you can see what occurred this year.

Scott, am I correct that you attended Shelbyville last year?

My hope is that we can organize a larger family friendly organized event with sponsorship for our area. The big questions are who would be the organizers and what lake would be best.

The only Texas and Oklahoma lakes that I have visited are Texoma, Murray and Broken Bow. My perspective on those lakes is

Texoma - Nice big lake (89,000 acres). Challenged by highly fluctuating water level. Decent accommodations at reasonable costs. Has the benefit of sand beaches. 66 member have reported their location as within 200 miles of this lake.

Murray - Nice small lake (5,700 acres). Accommodations are limited and expensive but awesome. 62 members have reported their location as within 200 miles of this lake.

Broken Bow - Nice medium lake (14,000 acres). Accommodations are limited and distant from the lake. The Grateful Head burned recently. 70 members have reported their location as within 200 miles of this lake.

Lake Ouachita is a 40,000 acre Corp lake with 200 islands. It is the third cleanest lake in the US. The water depth is up to 200 feet and the visibility is often 40 feet or more. 22 members have reported their location as within 200 miles of this lake, 85 within 300 and 158 within 400. It is located 298 road miles from Oklahoma City and 334 from Dallas. The lake is large enough that even on a busy weekend we would be able to find an island cove of our own. The Corp maintains several beach and playground areas around the lake. Many of the islands have large signs with numbers to help with navigation. We would be able to obtain Corp maps to pass out to participants.

http://www.mountainharborresort.com is the largest and nicest resort on Lake Ouachita. Lodging at Mountain Harbor starts around $150 a night for a nice hotel type room in the lodge. 1 bed suites are $200. Condos are more expensive but they offer packages such as $775 for a three nights in a two bedroom condo with a $200 resort credit that can be used for meals, spa services or slips. I believe we would be able to negotiate special JetBoater packages. Mountain Harbor has the best restaurant on the lake.

http://www.crystalspringsresort.com/pages/accommodations.html is a nearby marina with rates starting at $90 per night for four people. The Cafe at Crystal Springs has an amazing breakfast buffet and offers a lunch and dinner menu made from fresh ingredients. We are friendly with the dock management at Crystal Springs.

http://bradymountainmarina.com/rentals-activities/cabin-rentals/ is a third viable marina with lodging.

I believe that we would be able to obtain sponsorship from http://www.bradfordmarine.com our local Yamaha dealer. But I feel like we should reach out to Phil Dill wherever the event would be held. I am certain that JetBoatPilot would chip in as a sponsor.

Lake Ouachita is a popular diving lake. If members are interested we could get http://www.scuba-archery.com/dive-sites-2/ to organize some dive / snorkeling time.

I am friendly with several Corp staff and feel certain that they would be happy to provide some wildlife experience to our young JetBoaters.

Grocery stores and restaurants are available 14 miles to the West in Mount Ida (population 1,053) or 28 miles to the East in Hot Springs (population 36,000).

Patty's Down The Road is a beach style diner 16 miles from Mountain Harbor.

If we are feeling like a dinner outing we could trailer our boats to Lake Hamilton then boat 12 miles to Fisherman's Wharf in Hot Springs. Those interested in adult fun can dance into the AM at Smyly's Crab Shack.

DeGray Lake is a 13,800 acre Corp lake that is less than 7 miles from Interstate 30.
16 members have reported their location as within 200 miles of this lake, 85 within 300 and 163 within 400. It is located 331 road miles from Oklahoma City and 265 from Dallas. DeGray is probably the least busy of the five lake listed here.

http://www.degray.com/accommodations/lodge.aspx is the State Park Lodge and Marina. The lodge offers 94 hotel style rooms at around $100 a night. There is a restaurant on site. Slips without electricity are available for $20 a day.

http://www.iron-mountain.com/lodging/ is another location on Lake Ouachita with lodging and a marina. Their rooms are closer to $300 a night but are nicer than the State Park.

The State Park operates an affordable golf course http://www.degray.com/thingstodo/golf.aspx

I have access to the http://www.ouachitacampfoundation.com camp site in a 16,000 acre wilderness area. The camp has boat ramp, swim beach and pavilions.

Groceries and restaurants are available 6 miles to the north in Bismarck (population 4,500) and 12 miles to the south in Arkadelphia (population 10,716).

Hot Springs is 25 miles to the north.

As a comparison 74 members report their location as within 200 miles of Shelbyville, 143 within 300 and 231 within 400.

Approximately 1/3rd of members have identified their location so actual members counts within in the geographic location is likely to be 3 times the numbers quoted above.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ouachita
But i don't know if i would go that far. If i travel that far i would more than likely go down and do bimini instead.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouachita
But i don't know if i would go that far. If i travel that far i would more than likely go down and do bimini instead.
Lake Ouachita is ~700 miles and 10.5 hours for you, the launch for Bimini is ~1,320 miles and 19.75 hours. Choosing between the two, time and budget permitting I would opt for Bimini every time.

I am hopeful that Lake Ouachita is close enough and appealing enough that we can get some of the @Shelbyville crew to drive down. The surfers will really enjoy the calm waters!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lake Ouachita is ~700 miles and 10.5 hours for you, the launch for Bimini is ~1,320 miles and 19.75 hours. Choosing between the two, time and budget permitting I would opt for Bimini every time.

I am hopeful that Lake Ouachita is close enough and appealing enough that we can get some of the @Shelbyville crew to drive down. The surfers will really enjoy the calm waters!
If it wasn't the same exact weekend......... :confused:

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If I could quit my job and become a sponsored professional traveling jetboater, I'd spend the entire summer traveling the country to every gathering!

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love to go to this but damn it's a 1253 mile drive from Arizona!!!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I could quit my job and become a sponsored professional traveling jetboater, I'd spend the entire summer traveling the country to every gathering!
I call dibs on being the official qnd only jetboaters.net employee traveling and promoting the forum... a company vehicle ... a new 2017 e series and a nice handsome salary should do it.. how about it @Bruce. @Julian ... I think it is a great idea!! ;)[flag]

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I call dibs on being the official qnd only jetboaters.net employee traveling and promoting the forum... a company vehicle ... a new 2017 e series and a nice handsome salary should do it.. how about it @Bruce. @Julian ... I think it is a great idea!! ;)[flag]
You'll need an assistant!!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you planned for a June trip/ gathering. Many of the northern people may be willing to start the boating season in the warmer waters of the Southern midwest.

For myself July thru September is difficult to get off work. So a June trip down south for a week of boating has been on my to do list, to break out of winter and start boating.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll need a new boat each year! And you'll need a driver - called it!

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce did you Hijack my poll?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral