• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha AR240, Wiring Amp to HU

Zeek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time Poster, over a year of browsing using the idea’s from the forum. Rob’s Videos have probably been the most helpful due to having dang near the same boat. So I wanted to say thank you to everyone.

I recently replaced Stock speakers with 4 JL MX650’s. I also added two JL MX770 tower speakers. I have a JL 8channel Marine amp to power all of. Also adding a 12’ JL Sub.

Ran o awg power and ground cable from battery to behind helm. I’ve got everything in place all that’s left is to connect power and ground and wire up the amp. I have a couple questions at this point tho.

1) I have an ANL fuse that came with the power and ground and I also bought a 120amp breaker. Not sure if I need both. Wanted to use the breaker but the 0 awg connector seems a little large to connect to the breaker. I also have 20ft of 4 awg power and ground. Used about a foot of both for the two distribution blocks mounted on the amp board.

2) The bigger issue is I haven’t really found out how to wire the amp to the HU. I DID NOT change out the factory speaker wiring, it seemed to be satisfactory to use. Not sure if I need to splice into the wiring harness. I want to run the speakers off the amp.

I guess I’m just asking for some step by step insight to wiring the amp up to the HU.

Regardless want to say Thank You again, without this forum and Rob’s videos I would have had to spend another 1500-2500 for an install. So THANKS!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations on your transition from lurker > poster. . . . . .

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1. I think having both would be redundant, but not hurt anything. The breaker on it's own is best case, since you can easily reset it.
2. Sounds like you need RCA and 12v signal wire from head unit to amp.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an inline that I switched for a breaker. I like that I can kill the power to the helm accessories quickly to go work on things. I ran new speaker wire to everything when I installed my amp, rather than splice into the factory harness. Running wire wasn't that bad of a job.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
3. To get speakers from HU to amp, use 9 wire (speed wire, or multiconductor wire). I purchased a connector to wire in so install was easy and I can go back to factory in seconds if I need to. There are pictures in my build thread.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Zeek, I'm glad some of my videos help you out this far. This forum is definitely filled with lots of great advice and good experience people. Okay there are a few ways you can go about this, you can run all new wires from all of your speakers directly to the amp or you can cut into the harness under the helm and run factory direct speakers straight to the amp. I have my fuse in the battery compartment not a big deal. To get the signal from the radio or the head unit to the amp you will see RCA jacks behind rhe radios black box, the red and white ones they're labeled RCA out front RCA out rear, plug your RCAs into that and then into your amp. In that wire harness there is a blue wire and if I recall correctly it should be labeled as remote that blue wire needs to go to the remote connection on the amp next to the positive and negative cables. Once all of that is done you should be good to go.. i hope i didn't leave anything out... good luck... Rob Wallace

Zeek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses! So since I used the Stock speaker wiring do I just cut the wires for the speakers and run them directly to the amp?

I have the ANL fuse I can use, Id rather use the breaker but the ring terminal for the 0 awg wire seems to big for the connection on the breaker. Anyone ran into this?

The RCA connections seem easy enough. Just want to be crystal clear about the wiring before I start cutting stuff.

Also Rob, I’ve been listening to that Never Quit song you were playing in the most recent video you uploaded about the swim deck speakers. Good tune.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses! So since I used the Stock speaker wiring do I just cut the wires for the speakers and run them directly to the amp?

I have the ANL fuse I can use, Id rather use the breaker but the ring terminal for the 0 awg wire seems to big for the connection on the breaker. Anyone ran into this?

The RCA connections seem easy enough. Just want to be crystal clear about the wiring before I start cutting stuff.

Also Rob, I’ve been listening to that Never Quit song you were playing in the most recent video you uploaded about the swim deck speakers. Good tune.
i used an inline anl fuse that came with my 0 gauge.. screwed into the floor next to my batteries. Yes, open up the wire harness and cut the speaker wires and then run them directly to the amp..

Zeek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Easy Enough! Thanks Guys.

Should have it up and running tomorrow!

Incase anyone was wondering for the tower we used AC Duct zip ties to run the speaker wire through the tower. Worked good and was pretty easy.

However everything we did we did twice because we did it backwards the first time.

Zeek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do have one more question whenever you guys get some time!

4 cabin speakers and two tower 770’s.
Sub isn’t installed yet but will be within the next month.

Curious how you would set up the amp for that.
Bridge the tower speakers or no?
1 channel per 1 cabin speaker or 2 cabin speakers per channel?

Just curious what you guys think on that front.

Steen1717

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time Poster, over a year of browsing using the idea’s from the forum. Rob’s Videos have probably been the most helpful due to having dang near the same boat. So I wanted to say thank you to everyone.

I recently replaced Stock speakers with 4 JL MX650’s. I also added two JL MX770 tower speakers. I have a JL 8channel Marine amp to power all of. Also adding a 12’ JL Sub.

Ran o awg power and ground cable from battery to behind helm. I’ve got everything in place all that’s left is to connect power and ground and wire up the amp. I have a couple questions at this point tho.

1) I have an ANL fuse that came with the power and ground and I also bought a 120amp breaker. Not sure if I need both. Wanted to use the breaker but the 0 awg connector seems a little large to connect to the breaker. I also have 20ft of 4 awg power and ground. Used about a foot of both for the two distribution blocks mounted on the amp board.

2) The bigger issue is I haven’t really found out how to wire the amp to the HU. I DID NOT change out the factory speaker wiring, it seemed to be satisfactory to use. Not sure if I need to splice into the wiring harness. I want to run the speakers off the amp.

I guess I’m just asking for some step by step insight to wiring the amp up to the HU.

Regardless want to say Thank You again, without this forum and Rob’s videos I would have had to spend another 1500-2500 for an install. So THANKS!
Check out majorsmackdown post from 2016, i followed it step by step, replaced the 4 stock speakers with jl’s and 2 tower speakers and wired my amp directly to the stock head unit, did NOT cut one wire bought a replacement plug with wires. Simple and sounds outstanding. Got the entire set up from earmark.