• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha Jet Ski Line up...an entry level ski has arrived and a new performance ski

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just a short review of the skis here.....

Yamaha has introduced a Spark snuffing (in reference to the Seadoo Spark) line called the EX Series that has an all fiberglass nanocel hull (not plastic like the Spark). This ski was a blast to ride!

Yamaha has also introduced a new performance ski....the GP1800....this beast was scary fast!!!!!

Here is a quick video of them.....

And here is the official Press Release from Yamaha!

Yamaha Introduces 2017 WaveRunner Line Including New Affordable EX Series and Race Performance GP Series

CHICAGO, IL – AUGUST 24, 2016 – Yamaha WaterCraft Group, a division of Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., today introduced its 2017 WaveRunner line that includes the exciting new EX™ Series starting at just $6,599, as well as a new reincarnation of Yamaha’s legendary GP® racing series, the GP1800. The products were unveiled at the company’s annual dealer meeting being held in Chicago, IL, where Yamaha also set out its strategy to be the #1 global marine brand.

“The key to the long-term viability of the personal watercraft market, and a strategy for growing our brand’s dominance, is attracting and retaining new buyers,” said Yamaha’s Product Development Manager Scott Watkins. “The new EX Series is aimed squarely at doing just that. The EX Series offers the best possible experience at the best possible price. We didn’t cut any corners in terms of the durability of the construction or hold back on power. These new EX models deliver a fun, exhilarating riding experience that we think families will enjoy now and for years to come.”

New Yamaha’s EX Series, starting at $6,599

The EX WaveRunner® Series is designed for buyers seeking an affordable entry into the sport of personal watercraft, but demand the durability, reliability and quality that only Yamaha can deliver. Key features include:

• Yamaha’s award-winning TR-1™ engine, representing the latest in Yamaha engine technology.

• Best performance, stability, and reliability in the Rec Lite category.

• EX Deluxe equipped with RiDE dual throttle handlebar control system.

• Assembled in the USA in Newnan, GA.

• Series MSRP starts at $6,599.

“The new EX Series is a game changer for the personal watercraft market,” said Bryan Seti, general manager of Yamaha’s Watercraft Group. “There’s never been this much performance, durability, stability, storage, ease of maintenance, and overall fun packed into a watercraft at this price point in the history of the sport.

Our dealers have been asking us if this was even possible, and today we’re excited to show them that it is.”

New High-Performance GP1800 WaveRunner

Born out of Yamaha’s deep race heritage, and designed for closed-course racing and experienced high-performance enthusiasts, the new GP1800 is the quickest, fastest, most precise handling WaveRunner that Yamaha has ever designed. Key features include:

• Powered by the ultra-performance Yamaha SVHO® marine engine.

• Features Yamaha super-lightweight NanoXcel2™ hull and deck material.

• Comes equipped with Yamaha’s award-winning RiDE® system, the industry’s first dual handlebar throttle controls that deliver the utmost control moving forward or in reverse.

“For a decade, the GP1200 and GP1300R dominated closed-course watercraft racing, making the GP moniker synonymous with speed and winning,” said Watkins. “That’s why we brought it back. This new model delivers levels of acceleration, speed and handling that change everything we’ve known about what a watercraft can do on and off the race course. Yamaha factory racers are chomping at the bit to get ahold of this new package, and we think performance enthusiasts will too.”

Yamaha’s Award-Winning RiDE System

Featured on all WaveRunner models except the SuperJet™, EX and EX Sport, Yamaha’s RiDE dual handlebar throttle controls deliver the utmost control moving forward or in reverse.

RiDE could not be more intuitive. The right handlebar lever is forward. The left is reverse. At speed, the left handlebar lever will also slow you down. Release both right and left levers and the watercraft is in neutral. No shifting. No gears. The only thing to think about is how much fun it is to RiDE.

Yamaha FX Series, VX Series and SuperJet

Returning for 2017 is the luxury-performance FX Series that includes the FX Cruiser SVHO, FX SVHO, FX Cruiser HO and FX HO. New to the FX line is the FX Limited SVHO that comes with a complete water sports accessory package. Joining the FX Series is the full-featured budget-friendly VX Series, the race-performance VXR, and the venerable Yamaha SuperJet, the only stand up watercraft on the market.

The 2017 Yamaha WaveRunner Line at a Glance:

Performance

Race

Luxury

Recreation

Rec Lite

GP1800

VXR®

SuperJet

FX Limited SVHO

FX Cruiser SVHO®

FX SVHO®

FX Cruiser® HO

FX® HO

VX Cruiser® HO

VX® Limited

VX Cruiser

VX Deluxe

VX

EX

EX Sport

EX Deluxe

More information on the new 2017 WaveRunner models is available at: www.YamahaWaveRunners.com.

About Yamaha WaterCraft Group

Yamaha WaveRunner personal watercraft are products of the Yamaha WaterCraft Group, a division of Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. Headquartered in Kennesaw, Georgia, the Yamaha WaterCraft Group is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of Yamaha watercraft in the United States. Yamaha WaveRunners are proudly assembled in Newnan, Georgia. For more information, please visit www.YamahaWaveRunners.com.

Media Contact:

Bob Gonsalves, ICBM Media for Yamaha

This document contains many of Yamaha's valuable trademarks. It may also contain trademarks belonging to other companies. Any references to other companies or their products are for identification purposes only, and are not intended to be an endorsement. WaveRunner® is a Yamaha brand personal watercraft and not a generic term.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Spark is $5,299 but it doesn't include a trailer. Does the Yamaha include a trailer at the $6,599 price? It would be interesting to see a non-biased review of the 2 skis side by side.

The GP1800 looks awesome!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know if the video just made it seem faster but it looks like that GP1800 really is a rocket! I had a GP1200R back in the day and at the time that thing was insane...cant imagine 1800!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Doing 69mph on a ski was pretty damn scary.....I couldn't keep it wide open throttle as waves were coming up on me way to fast and the thought of hitting a big wave at that speed was more than this old body wants to deal with!!!!

When I was going to get on it the discussion went like this:

Yamaha Guy: "Gloves?"
Me-"Sure"
Yamaha Guy: "Boots?"
Me-"Uh...ok...."
Yamaha Guy-"Chaps?"
Me-"Uh...WTF...why would I need chaps?"
Yamaha Guy "to hold on to the ski"
Me thinking...WTF is he talking about!!!!!!

Later....I was thinking....those chaps would be a good idea!!!!!!!!!!! And a helmet and back brace.......

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Super duper disappointed in their EX "spark killer". It's HUGE. Do they not recognize that the key to the spark is it's tiny flickable size and weight? They just built another huge couch... like they've been doing for years. The needed to make a modern waveblaster, and they made yet another huge ugly couch.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This will not kill the Spark, the 2017 90HP Spark now starts at 5800.00, I paid 5400.00 2 years ago. The Spark is small and nimble, it's perfect for teens that don't need to go 70 mph on the water. I'm on my 3rd year on 2 Sparks and beat the hell out of them and have had zero issues. Everyone thinks because it's plastic that it's a piece of junk, it's more durable than you think. The spark is made to play not cruise and that's what we use them for. I think Yamaha missed the mark on this, the only thing it allowed was for Sea Doo to raise the price on the Spark.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting perspectives that I cant comment much on as I'm not into waverunners as much, but can tell you what Yamaha was thinking based on what they said/provided us.

Their research showed that:
  1. People wanted an entry level ski but they still wanted it to hold 3 people and be able to tow
  2. They wanted it light and inexpensive
so they made a 100hp light inexpensive 3 person ski.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think Yamaha did enough research or their sample size was too small. Making a 600 pound ski is heading in the right direction but it is still 200 pounds (I.e., 50%) heavier than the spark which means it's probably less responsive than the spark as well. If you are into short carving sessions and want a modern 4 stroke ski the spark is still the way to go. I think the ex will be competing with Yamaha's vx line as an entry level Waverunner that is better suited to cruising . That is both are 3 seaters but one has 100 hp got $6,600 and the other has more hp and weight for closer to $8k.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In some states, like MO, you can not tow behind a ski unless it is a 3-seater. Could have been part of the strategy.

ZacFlyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is very true in some of their videos they depict people tubing and skiing behind them.

-Unrelated my first post! I'm new around here and a huge Yama fanatic. Will be editing my account later.

Yamaha VXR '16
Waver Raider 700 '95
Chaparral Sunesta 210 '98

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is very true in some of their videos they depict people tubing and skiing behind them.

-Unrelated my first post! I'm new around here and a huge Yama fanatic. Will be editing my account later.

Yamaha VXR '16
Waver Raider 700 '95
Chaparral Sunesta 210 '98
Welcome Yama Fanatic!

ZacFlyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks glad to be around! :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Honestly I never see people towing someone with a PWC. So I really don't get the idea there is a larger market for towable PWC's versus having one that is super fun, light, flickable and easy on the wallet. How many people do you see ripping on PWCs or someone towing a skier behind? I grew up on the small PWC's before they all turned into barges. Give me a new wave blaster and I'd certainly be more interested than some 600+ lb 3 seater that doesn't really carve how i like them to.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In some states, like MO, you can not tow behind a ski unless it is a 3-seater. Could have been part of the strategy.
This is how it is in California. The context being that when towing someone it is required that driver and spotter are distinct individuals and the capacity of the tow vehicle must include the person being towed. So you need a 3 person Pwc to legally tow 1 person here in ca.

I see pwc's used as tow vehicles often at one of the small reservoirs I go to but rarely at the river or big lakes.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I see PWC towing tubes and wakeboarders all the time. The did a ton of research on this...trust me, I had to sit through the Product Managers presentation, and their data was very compelling in their plan.

Some of the key points in their analysis were
  • the price point at which people will not buy a new ski and will buy used (one of the things they wanted to prevent).
  • the options buyers were looking for...the majority wanted an inexpensive 3 person ski.
  • they also had all sorts of data on the intersections of various types of choices and their impact on each other....they put a lot of thought into it
Does that mean they got it right? Nope....but they didn't go into this without some serious research.

Time will tell how they do in the market and if their market share improves!

Some Stats they discussed:
  • #1 reason PWC buyers chose Yamaha.....Reliability
  • Yamaha is #1 ski for Rental businesses
  • 62% of PWC sold in 2015 were in the "Value/Economy" sector (I think under 8k)
  • EX series gets 14% better GPH than the spark, which translates into 47% longer range.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
"Spark snuffer "? Lol Lookin to be in the market by next spring for an entry level , fun and agile ski , I'd say I'm disappointed with the Yamaha EX . In my opinion Yamaha missed its mark , heavier in price and weight than the spark and a rather dated look . I'll stick to my original plans of finding a great price on a 2016 spark ho this winter .