• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018/2019 215 ID Questions

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have a few questions regarding the 2018/2019 215 ID, as we are seriously considering it. We would be stepping up from a i/o.

How does the boat do with the base 150hp motors? Pulling a skier? Getting on plane? Top Speed? With a near full boat, 6 adults, 2-4 teens?

Is the wake tower worth the money in regards to possible resale down the road? We currently don’t wakeboard, just ski, tube, and possibly kneeboard. Just not sure its worth the ~$3600 for us.

How does this boat do on the single axle trailer? I know a tandem axle does ride better down the road, but at ~3500lbs loaded, it is needed? What is the single axle trailer rated for weight wise?

What is better for keeping the boat dry, the separate bow & cockpit covers, or the trailering cover? Chances are we won’t actually trailer with the cover on, just want the best coverage and less chance of any rain entering the boat when stored. And at times, when anchored overnight in the water.

Is the bow filler cushion worth the money? Some days we are out tubing and skiing, other days we are hanging out either in the shallow water, or anchored and swimming/floating. We would get the versa seating for the rear, which converts to a sun deck.

Does the stock radio have preamp outputs? From what I can tell per the specs, it does have a remote mounted in the swim platform. I’m not sure the optional stereo is worth the price.

How does the 215 handle larger lakes? While we normally are on smaller lakes, we do take the boat out on Lake Charlevoix in Northern Michigan which can get a little rougher. And have even went out into Lake Michigan as well from Lake Charlevoix.

Hopefully I remembered all the questions.

TY!!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Twin 150s seem decent for cruising unless you like speed or any kind of water sports.
I personally would go 200 twins if you can.
The tower, well, my ss had no tower and i ended up putting one on. I won't do that again.
Any 21' boat can do lake Michigan if you go on the good days.
On the south side i have an app that tells me good days and bad.
You need to respect the lake but it's beautiful.
If you were closer i would show you around a bit!

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How does the boat do with the base 150hp motors? Pulling a skier? Getting on plane? Top Speed? With a near full boat, 6 adults, 2-4 teens?
If you're loading up the boat, twin 200's would be much better for pulling and planing.
According to Scarab documentation:
300 = 45 mph
400 = 52 mph
500 = 56 mph
Is the wake tower worth the money in regards to possible resale down the road?
After years of just a regular bimini that shakes and rattles, a tower is much more solid and can be used as a grab point for passengers, and for boarding. If you're buying new, the price isn't that big of a piece of the total cost and it does help with resale.
How does this boat do on the single axle trailer? I know a tandem axle does ride better down the road, but at ~3500lbs loaded, it is needed? What is the single axle trailer rated for weight wise?
The Scarab single axle is rated 5,000 lbs and should work just fine. Tandem is nice to have but not required.
What is better for keeping the boat dry, the separate bow & cockpit covers, or the trailering cover?
The cover is not for trailering, it's for mooring or storage. You should not trailer with the bow/cockpit covers or mooring cover as they have been known to pull out or loosen snaps, and cause buffeting marks (cover and straps rub the boat in the wind). If you want to trailer with a cover, get one made for that purpose like the Outer Armour made by Poppy Company. Or if you insist on using the mooring cover, use wet noodles to help protect the boat's gelcoat from buffeting.
Is the bow filler cushion worth the money?
If you get the versa-lounge then the bow filler may not be needed. We're looking at the Chaparral Vortex and we will be getting the bow filler as the rear doesn't have a sunpad.
Does the stock radio have preamp outputs? From what I can tell per the specs, it does have a remote mounted in the swim platform. I’m not sure the optional stereo is worth the price.
If you like volume, and want to listen while tubing or cruising, you'll want the upgraded system with tower speakers. There should be pre-outs on the system if you want to upgrade yourself.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
TY guys!!!

Speed,

What app do you have??? We definitely would pick and choose when we headed out on Lk Mi, or even Lk Huron. TY for the offer if we were closer to you!!!

If we have a loaded boat, probably wouldn’t be skiing or tubing at that time, unless just heading out to the sandbar to hang out we may pull a tube at that time.... Gives another place to relax as well without taking boat space up getting there. BUT, I am looking at the 200s still....

I didn’t know the single axle was rated for 5klbs... That’s pretty good!!! A couple less tires needed when replacing them.

I was more wondering if what’s Scarab calls the trailer cover (one piece) was better at keeping water out when anchored, docked, or even on the trailer vs the bow/cockpit covers? I wouldn’t plan on trailering with either covers on just tontru to prolong their life.

That’s a good point of the versa lounge vs a bow filler.

Radio wise it would be more for when we are anchored at a sandbar. If tubing or skiing I like being able to hear when a tuner/skier is down.

What is it about the Vortex you like over the Yammie or Scarab? This jet thing is definitely all new to us, and I’m trying to learn all I can!!!

TY again guys!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.......Speed,

What app do you have??? We definitely would pick and choose when we headed out on Lk Mi, or even Lk Huron. TY for the offer if we were closer to you!!!............
try @Speedling to get someones attention :D it will give them an alert if you use the @ symbol ahead of their username.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
try @Speedling to get someones attention :D it will give them an alert if you use the @ symbol ahead of their username.
Luckily i check this site tooo often anyways.
I have tried different ones but i just go into play store and found a lake michigan marine forcast that drops the wave height info.
I also set up a custom weather alert on the weather underground app to let me know when the wind is less than 10 mph, not out of north, no rain, and at least 78 degrees. Has worked great other than distracting me on days i can't go out!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weather Underground is awesome. Love that app.

James McDougall

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

I have the 250's.....honestly? wish I'd gone with the 200's....that's the good happy ground....with young kids, we find ourselves in "ECO" mode 95% of the time and only occasionally take the boat to It's idiotic top speed, which also gets insane on fuel at that point. With ECO Mode engaged, the boat is actually very economical...by jet boat standards. Just putt he throttle full down and the boat does the rest......she finds the perfect speed (around 32mph in my case at least) for maximum fuel efficiency giving me I reckon a good 4 hours on a tank of gas.

Is the wake tower worth the money in regards to possible resale down the road? We currently don’t wakeboard, just ski, tube, and possibly kneeboard. Just not sure its worth the ~$3600 for us

The wake tower is 100% worth the money. While we didn't do or know ANY water sports prior to this it was worth every penny. Keep in mind installing an aftermarket one voids your hull warranty.....this particular tower is also really sleep and good looking, solid and helps as handle when boarding in awkward positions.

This is somewhere I saved money on. I have the single axle trailer and can confirm it does just fine. My boat is the 215 Wake, fully kitted out with all the bells and whistles and fully loaded with a tank of gas is as heavy as a 215 will ever get and I've never felt like there was an issue or a problem!

What is better for keeping the boat dry, the separate bow & cockpit covers, or the trailering cover? Chances are we won’t actually trailer with the cover on, just want the best coverage and less chance of any rain entering the boat when stored. And at times, when anchored overnight in the water.

I only own the bow and cockpit covers and have seen some torrential rain.....they have some kind of spray on them and are quite waterproof. They also stretch and with the aluminum feet, are angled so that most water drips off the side. We keep our boat at a slip in the Marina and the interior has been bone dry every single time there's been
a down pour.....except when we left the bimini top open and found that since It's water proof, it accumulated a huge puddle, which my wife poked, soaking all of us!

Is the bow filler cushion worth the money? Some days we are out tubing and skiing, other days we are hanging out either in the shallow water, or anchored and swimming/floating. We would get the versa seating for the rear, which converts to a sun deck.

Depends on you. I DON'T actually have the versa lounge as I didn't feel we wanted it and DON'T have the filler cushion. It's a 215.....while It's a good sized boat, it's hardly massive. If the family want to sun worship, upgrade to the versa lounge. The bow is too small to lay down feet forward comfortably and I say that as someone who's 5'9"

I have the upgraded sound system. It's worth every penny. Not sure about the preamp output. But what I'd consider is going with he upgraded sound system, but not getting the tower speakers. The tower has cables and holes pre-drilled and ready.....a 10 year old could install after market speakers on brackets.

How does the 215 handle larger lakes? While we normally are on smaller lakes, we do take the boat out on Lake Charlevoix in Northern Michigan which can get a little rougher. And have even went out into Lake Michigan as well from Lake Charlevoix.

It absolutely handles well on larger lakes. I live on lake Nippising in North Bay, Ontario. 50 miles across. Hardly one of the great lakes, but substantial none-the-less and can have terrible waves on it due to shallowness of the lake (6+foot waves are not uncommon here) My wife and I have been caught out on a date night and I won't lie....the

lake smashed the fuck out of us and it was extremely uncomfortable. Our 215 got us home though....but the windshield was massively out of alignment to the point the middle folder wouldn't close anymore. We've also had her out on Lake Ontario and Lake Erie.....but both lakes were awesome conditions on those days.

Hope this help you!

here's my boat to give you an idea!
P.S. It's a massive investment yes, but It's made a HUGE difference in the overall happiness of our little family. such an amazing family activity for all to do together and make the memories of a lifetime!
37981986_10160646758530282_1173578081097482240_o.jpg

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
A huge TY to @Speedling, @2kwik4u, @Compatico, & @James McDougall!!!

I’ll check those apps out!!!

I am kind of leaning towards the 200s.... We don’t need to blast at 55+, but I would like the little bit more for getting a skier up. PLus I was informed today that BRP has a new updated supercharger that is maintenance free, so no more rebuilds!!!. It was mentioned it sounds like some late ‘18s have it, and all the ‘19s should as well.

Plus a few other options we origainally didn’t plan on. The dealer said the boat is predrilled for the tower. It would be a matter of having one delivered and installed if we don’t get it initially. Luckily Cadillac, Mi is only a short trip away. BUT, leaning toward adding it. As for the tower speakers, I’m not sure about the kicker models, but the JLs are about what Scarab charges for them (msrp)... Most I’ve ever spent on a set of speakers was about $350 (I think it was) for a set of MB Quart components...

If the weather cooperates, we plan on a lake test this Fri afternoon or Sat early.... The boat we would be testing has the 150s, so worst case that should give us a good idea if its enough, or there is the need for more.... I’m leaning towards a liitle MORE!!! :)

@James McDougall,

I hope to get up to North Bay one of these winters to check out the awesome snowmobiling there!!! Talking to the guys at Snowtrax it sounds like heaven!!! And considering I snowmobile in the D13, Ontario area (Sault Ste. Marie area), I’m not sure just how much better it can get... :)

TY again to all!!!

Last edited:

James McDougall

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
A huge TY to @Speedling, @2kwik4u, @Compatico, & @James McDougall!!!

I’ll check those apps out!!!

I am kind of leaning towards the 200s.... We don’t need to blast at 55+, but I would like the little bit more for getting a skier up.

If the weather cooperates, we plan on a lake test this Fri or Sat.... The boat we would be testing has the 150s, so worst case that should give us a good idea if its enough, or there is the need for more.... I’m leaning towards a liitle MORE!!! :)

@James McDougall,

I hope to get up to North Bay one of these winters to check out the awesome snowmobiling there!!! Talking to the guys at Snowtrax it sounds like heaven!!! And considering I snowmobile in the D13, Ontario area, I’m not sure just how much better it can get... :)

TY again to all!!!
here's hoping the snowmobile season is better than last year! It was horrific. I don't own a sled though......we were planning on getting this year but really put off by last season....the trails were closed for all but about 25 days or something stupid like that!

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
here's hoping the snowmobile season is better than last year! It was horrific. I don't own a sled though......we were planning on getting this year but really put off by last season....the trails were closed for all but about 25 days or something stupid like that!
WOW, only open 25 days... I hope its better this year for you!!

I rode the most yet in a season last year, 1234 miles, give or take... But that’s what it added up to believe it or not, not counting any tenths...

Even got in almost 700 miles on the guys trip to Canada. Part of it because my buddy’s ‘18 Ski Doo ‘Gade 850 blew a clutch on the trail... Then had to back track to find my other buddy’s Ski Doo jerry can from when I was going to attach a seat pack to his sled, so my other buddy could double up when we left his sled at an awesome Canadians house we met on the trail.

James McDougall

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
WOW, only open 25 days... I hope its better this year for you!!

I rode the most yet in a season last year, 1234 miles, give or take... But that’s what it added up to believe it or not, not counting any tenths...

Even got in almost 700 miles on the guys trip to Canada. Part of it because my buddy’s ‘18 Ski Doo ‘Gade 850 blew a clutch on the trail... Then had to back track to find my other buddy’s Ski Doo jerry can from when I was going to attach a seat pack to his sled, so my other buddy could double up when we left his sled at an awesome Canadians house we met on the trail.
Well, if you're up in the neighbourhood anytime of year, send me a PM!!

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Well, if you're up in the neighbourhood anytime of year, send me a PM!!
Definitely will do!!! Though it may be a few more years before we consider it due to receiving more vacation time!!!

Trying to spread the time between snowmobiling, spring break, and camping, it goes quick!!!

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is it about the Vortex you like over the Yammie or Scarab? This jet thing is definitely all new to us, and I’m trying to learn all I can!!!
We've been looking at new boats of all kinds, starting with I/O models from every manufacturer within a few hours drive of home, then moving to jet boats. We looked at Glastron, Scarab, Yamaha, and Vortex. After test rides and thoroughly checking out all of the models and features, we think the Vortex is our best choice. Make sure you look at all the options and models, and poke in all the corners. Feel the materials, sit in all the seats, fiddle with the switches, etc. as if it was already yours. It's a big investment so do your homework and don't skimp on something if you think you don't need it - get what you want now because you can't always add something later.
Good luck!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a few questions regarding the 2018/2019 215 ID, as we are seriously considering it. We would be stepping up from a i/o.

Is the wake tower worth the money in regards to possible resale down the road? We currently don’t wakeboard, just ski, tube, and possibly kneeboard. Just not sure its worth the ~$3600 for us.

TY!!!

my 2 cents coming from someone who purchased a standard 215ho with twin 200's.

- the 200's have incredible power, every time i gun it with someone new in the boat they cannot believe the acceleration ( thrown back in their seats). i cannot image the 250's or 300's..... just cruising around they are very efficient for 400hp.
- wake tower - wish i would have got it. i hate the standard bimini, i can only go about 35 to 40 mph's before it wants to fall apart
- Single axle trailer - i have it but wish i had the dual axle for two reasons - one it looks better and two if a tire blows out there would be better control of the trailer
- Cover - i have both covers - the bow and cockpit cover i only use when i leave the boat overnight in the water while on holidays or on cold days i leave the bow cover on to block the wind. other than that always have the trailer cover on ( even while towing). never any problems and it definitely keeps the water out better than the snap cover and protects more of the boat. i purchased the trailering cover after i purchased the boat as i felt it was needed.
- bow filler cushion - dont have it and would never use it. i purchase the table and mount which i use every time i am out on the boat.
- stock speakers sucks, i had it and it cannot be heard at cruising speed. either upgrade yourself or through factory. i added swim deck speakers, two amps and a sub and its much better. i would say best bet to upgrade from factory so you get swim deck speakers and avoid cutting the hull.
- I'm on a decent size lake and it handles well. the more weight / people on the boat the better it does. i personally notice a big difference when i have another family with us on the boat.

good luck!

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
@Compatico,

TY!!! We haven’t really looked at the Vortex, as I don’t recall seeing one at the show last w/e... We did look at the 21 H2O, and while it was fairly nice, my wife really liked the Scarab, Regal, Montereys, and FWs more.

I will see if we can check a Voetex out. How is the pricing vs a Scarab?

@Scarabpaul,

TY for all the info and feedback!!!

I think if it came down to the tower or upgraded stereo, it will probably be the tower... Will price both for adding later and see which is cheaper.

For those with a 215, is there enough room for the sub to be mounted facing the front of the boat, towards the bucket seat??? That way it is protected and hidden. And do you think a 10” sub will fit vs the factory upgraded 8”? Either in the location the factory mounts the sub, or facing the bucket seat?

TY again!!!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 10" sub in the factory location. I believe I have seen them installed below the throttle as well....

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have a 10" sub in the factory location. I believe I have seen them installed below the throttle as well....
TY!!!

I’m not 100% sure, but think the upgraded stereo has an 8” sub.

Glad to know a 10” will fit.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
TY!!! We haven’t really looked at the Vortex, as I don’t recall seeing one at the show last w/e... We did look at the 21 H2O, and while it was fairly nice, my wife really liked the Scarab, Regal, Montereys, and FWs more.
I will see if we can check a Voetex out. How is the pricing vs a Scarab?
Prices are similar to be competitive, but there are only a few direct comparisons to be made, so you can't really compare them exactly. One model doesn't match precisely with one from the next manufacturer. It depends more on what you like/want/need in your specific boat that makes a difference. We liked the Scarab, and the Yamaha had a few things we liked too, but the Vortex is what fit our needs best.

You have to get out and look at all of the options and find what works best for you.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Prices are similar to be competitive, but there are only a few direct comparisons to be made, so you can't really compare them exactly. One model doesn't match precisely with one from the next manufacturer. It depends more on what you like/want/need in your specific boat that makes a difference. We liked the Scarab, and the Yamaha had a few things we liked too, but the Vortex is what fit our needs best.

You have to get out and look at all of the options and find what works best for you.
I checked them out on the website, and see what you mean of the 215 falling between the 203 & 223. One thing, and maybe we are behind the times, is we like the seating of the 215 with the two bucket seats and u shaped rear seat vs the “arena” seating, plus the versa seat option.

We will try to find a dealer with one in stock to compare.

TY!!!