• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 & 2019 Yamaha Owners

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ive currently got a 2016 242 Limited S and considering upgrading to new year model.

My question is, are the current 18 & 19 year models coming out with better quality control from Yamaha or are they still having issues such as water leaking in, connext issues and other various concerns that have plagued previous year model owners.

Nick Aulakh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure but i'll take the plague off your hands man! Quick sell your Yammie cheap to me! You must have to deal with so much, no more I say! ;)

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our 2018 SX190 has had zero problems. 44 hrs in 18.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No connext issues so far but been chasing a water leak since new (june).
2018 242 Limited S 36 hours. Otherwise a few small things like ski locker lift support bracket missing hardware etc. Nothing huge. Enjoying the boat thoroughly.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2018 FSH 21
Some cup holder drains not hooked up. Inside of compartments rough not finished.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2019 sx190, mostly some loose fasteners (hinges), couple gel coat imperfections, a weird paint issue on a spot of windshield (black spot), moisture in radio (not really yamaha’s quality control though), molding trim in windshield too short, couple cup holders were mounted with screws into nothing (not in hull). Small things I guess but went over the boat now and feels tighter :)

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 ar240 here. Purchased in June, and haven’t had any warranty issues at this point. No Connext issues. No leaks. No complaints. The only issue I had was throttle sync being way off, but a 15 minutes at the dealer and we were good to go.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I purchased a 2019 242 LSE in mid December, so I'm looking forward to running it in April(optimistic)/May timeframe here in SE MI on Lake St Clair. I'll definitely report back if I notice anything out of sorts, but I've heard/read good things about improvements to the pump housings, reverse buckets and possibly connext firmware, so we'll see how things go!

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ive currently got a 2016 242 Limited S and considering upgrading to new year model.

My question is, are the current 18 & 19 year models coming out with better quality control from Yamaha or are they still having issues such as water leaking in, connext issues and other various concerns that have plagued previous year model owners.
I purchased my 2018 242 S E in 2017. It was the first 2018 sold at of my dealer here in So. Cal
I put lots of hours on my boat this last season and have had no major issues that came from Yamaha except for one.
The insert for for the fold down tower pin is made of some type of poly or plastic. Some how it became oblong on the starboard side.
Other than that, no leaks or major issues.
Good luck if you decide to upgrade and definitely do go over the boat before purchasing even if it is new.
Grab the tower and shake it. Check for looseness or odd noises. As for the Connext, ask to make sure that it has new software update.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Not sure if what you are talking about is actually something I would call a problem with these boats. Remember, people seem to mostly bring things up in the forum when there is a problem.....not when things are going well. In my case, I have had zero issues with quality control in regards to leaks or fit and finish. I have had some Connext issues that have been somewhat frustrating, but it only involved the use of the Drive Control function. My dealer has taken care of all the problems with no hassle or pushback. For anybody on here that is looking for a pre-owned boat, a 2026 242 LSE would be a great acquisition. Personally, no way I could afford another new boat, but even if I could, I would keep mine 2016!

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
2019 sx190, mostly some loose fasteners (hinges), couple gel coat imperfections, a weird paint issue on a spot of windshield (black spot), moisture in radio (not really yamaha’s quality control though), molding trim in windshield too short, couple cup holders were mounted with screws into nothing (not in hull). Small things I guess but went over the boat now and feels tighter :)
I also have a 2019 SX190. In reference to @Maccam26 post, I have had a few of the same issues. Loose fasteners, moisture in the radio, molding to short. That’s pretty much all for now but have only had it in the water twice. Hoping to get out this weekend and trying to get the 10 hrs on it so I can bring it in and speak to the dealer about these few issues. Other than that so far so good.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've finished two seasons on my 2017 without any huge issues to report. True, at the end of the first season, I had a punch-list of items for the dealer to look at and fix...which they did so without issue. At the end of last season, I had a leaky center ballast bag (it leaked near the input) and the dealer said they've seen several of those. I also had an issue where if I left the boat sitting in the water overnight, the center ballast bag would fill up with water. The dealer researched it and found there was a bad impeller on that pump and said it was allowing water past it. They replaced the pump and I'll see in the spring if this addressed the issue.

My largest complaint is with the speed control on the Connext System. It seems like I have to set the Connext at +2MPH for it to work. For example if I want to suffer at 10.3mph, I have to set the Connext to somewhere around 12.5mph. The dealer says they spoke to Mother Yamaha and Mother says this is normal. There also seems to be a 2mph error at wakeboarding speeds. Makes no sense to me. Thankfully the GPS unit on the boat gives accurate speed ratings so I use that and adjust Connext accordingly.

Other than that, in about 135 hours, she runs great

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2019 242 limited S E series, I have an 20181210_224410.jpg issue with the door to the head compartment not fitting right the door is not made uniformly. Currently have the dealer trying to get it replaced for me. Boat has 0 hours and has never been in the water just purchased in December.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2019 242 limited S E series, I have an View attachment 86611 issue with the door to the head compartment not fitting right the door is not made uniformly. Currently have the dealer trying to get it replaced for me. Boat has 0 hours and has never been in the water just purchased in December.
Thanks for bringing that to light! I'll check that out carefully on mine when I get out to the dealer in the next week or two. They'll be pulling the shipping cover off to do the head install, so will be a good opportunity to take a close look and get some pics.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please post a picture when you get a chance and what are you calling "head install"? And to other 242 owner- could you guys post a few pictures of your door fitment just in case Yamaha comes back with "THAT'S WITHIN ACCEPTABLE TOLERANCES".

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please post a picture when you get a chance and what are you calling "head install"? And to other 242 owner- could you guys post a few pictures of your door fitment just in case Yamaha comes back with "THAT'S WITHIN ACCEPTABLE TOLERANCES".
Will do. Head install in my scenario equals the dealer installing a "portapottie style toilet but with pump out fittings and associated plumbing, etc.. This is a dealer installed option Yamaha offers for the 242 in that port console compartment. My wife is 5' tall and I have an almost 4 yo daughter, so it was a functional option for us.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Will do. Head install in my scenario equals the dealer installing a "portapottie style toilet but with pump out fittings and associated plumbing, etc.. This is a dealer installed option Yamaha offers for the 242 in that port console compartment. My wife is 5' tall and I have an almost 4 yo daughter, so it was a functional option for us.
Ball park, how much?

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ball park, how much?
That along with a mooring cover was negotiated into the otd price of the boat at 72750 (incl 6% MI sales tax) so I didn't ask specifically about the head install parts/labor. But looking at listed options on build pages of other boat brands, iirc a pump out portapottie was generally somewhere between 400-800 from the manufacturers. So that was kinda my point of reference when working on otd boat price with the dealer.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know if you trailer or not, but either way, where or how often do you get it pumped out? And what is the holding tank capacity? We just plan to use the pottie for the day and then separate it (two pieces) to flush down the toilet. Not a pleasant task, but someone (me) has to take care of it.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know if you trailer or not, but either way, where or how often do you get it pumped out? And what is the holding tank capacity?
I'm going to be keeping it on the trailer at a marina abouy a half mile from the launch, so yeah, I'll be trailering it. But, most of the marinas in the area near me offer pump out service right at the gas docks, so my neurosis will demand I make a stop at the end of the day before i haul the boat out, if it is used. Pretty sure the holding capacity of this style head is maybe only a couple gallons anyhow.