• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 212 limited S This is my first boat. What do i need?

lukewaterwalker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just got approved and i should be picking up my 212 limited S in two weeks. I have nothing for it and i figured would come on here to get advice from the pros before i make to many mistakes. People with the thrust vectors, is it worth it?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got approved and i should be picking up my 212 limited S in two weeks. I have nothing for it and i figured would come on here to get advice from the pros before i make to many mistakes. People with the thrust vectors, is it worth it?
Exciting!! Suggest getting the gear you need to be safe & legal as a priority first.

First:
Air Horn, flares, flags, life jackets. I assume you are getting an anchor with an appropriate line and rhode (chain)?

Next:
Dock lines and LARGE fenders, go for the inflatable kind, not the yamaha ones that lay flat against the hull. Get one of those extension poles to hook a dock or push off from a dock.

Look on this form on how to put together a basic toolkit and include a quart of oil.

Re: steering systems, why not try the boat out finless then make adjustments if you want/need more response? Think of the boat as a big jet ski, once you get used to steer / counter steer you will be a pro in no time.

Enjoy the boat! I found most stress was in learning how to maneuver the tow vehicle, launch and retrieving the boat. Steering assistance was not a big priority for me first starting out.

Edit: get a checklist to cover you for launch and retrieval steps. Look on the site for one on this site by @txav8r, I use same list (but from memory) 4+ years later.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Watch some videos on Anchoring. It's pretty simple, but not totally intuitive, so it's best to get some good pointers before attempting on your own. While moving around the dock, travel no faster than the speed at which you want to hit the dock. For First Time piloting a boat ever, consider an outing with just you and another person that follows instructions well to practice.

Best of luck!!! It will be fun!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does JL Audio have a credit card yet?

Last edited:

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat, I just reluctantly traded in a 2018 212 limited s. Whoever gets that boat will be super happy, great boat and easy to drive.. Practice without an audience and without wind or currents at the dock and your trailer.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome.
You're gonna get a lot of info on this site so take your time to sift through it. @mark_m is right on everything he listed, get the boat and safety sorted out first, you got time to get used to the boat.
My humble suggestions aside from what mark stated.
1) Go over the boat and learn it inside and out while in your driveway. You can go over how it handles, docking, launching... etc later.
2) practice trailering, she's a 21 ft and she's got a bit of ass to her (not phat like the 24 footers) but some good size ass that you'll need to get used to trailering and turning.
3) Practice backing her up in a very large paring lot. use the paring spots as the "ramp" and do it over an over and over and over until you're comfortable. I did this with my wife and she can "back that thing up like a champ"now. lol
4) USE A CHECKLIST!!!!! Every good boater should utilize a checklist. it ensures you've covered anything pertaining to your boat and fun for the day. Those who don't, eventually will forget the plug... guaranteed. then you're up shit creek.
5) Use the people on here as an encyclopedia. Everyone here is ready to help with any questions (no matter how small) so you enjoy your boat.
6) At minimum, watch a safety video to familiarize yourself with nautical terms, laws and how not to be "that guy" on the water. One of the guys on here put a quick little vid together (Rob's DIY Yamaha) that is a good little snapshot on etiquette... There will be a test at the end...

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! First thing you need you've already done, become an involved member of jetboaters.net. Tons of good information on learning the ins and outs of jet boat ownership.
When it comes to steering I'd agree with what others are saying, try it without any aftermarket first. This area is a very personal thing, steering products some people love others don't and vice versa - as well as some love it without any aftermarket products. So try it without anything and give it a fair chance especially if you don't have experience with Jets - what starts as a feeling of absolutely no control can transition to a feeling of total control after some practice, but it does take practice. After that if you think you would benefit from a steering product, research all the options on this forum and read of peoples experience across all the options and then make an informed decision that is your own.

But since everyone has an opinion, I absolutely love and swear that the setup detailed by my linked post below is the best setup you can put together for tracking and control at low and high speed.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-vm-ak-lateral-thrusters-ready-to-go.17781/

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats!
I would agree with everyone here about running the boat stock, at least for a while.
Get out and practice, it may feel a bit hairy at first, but these boats really are incredibly versatile, and fun to drive.

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome.
You're gonna get a lot of info on this site so take your time to sift through it. @mark_m is right on everything he listed, get the boat and safety sorted out first, you got time to get used to the boat.
My humble suggestions aside from what mark stated.
1) Go over the boat and learn it inside and out while in your driveway. You can go over how it handles, docking, launching... etc later.
2) practice trailering, she's a 21 ft and she's got a bit of ass to her (not phat like the 24 footers) but some good size ass that you'll need to get used to trailering and turning.
3) Practice backing her up in a very large paring lot. use the paring spots as the "ramp" and do it over an over and over and over until you're comfortable. I did this with my wife and she can "back that thing up like a champ"now. lol
4) USE A CHECKLIST!!!!! Every good boater should utilize a checklist. it ensures you've covered anything pertaining to your boat and fun for the day. Those who don't, eventually will forget the plug... guaranteed. then you're up shit creek.
5) Use the people on here as an encyclopedia. Everyone here is ready to help with any questions (no matter how small) so you enjoy your boat.
6) At minimum, watch a safety video to familiarize yourself with nautical terms, laws and how not to be "that guy" on the water. One of the guys on here put a quick little vid together (Rob's DIY Yamaha) that is a good little snapshot on etiquette... There will be a test at the end...
Hey i know thay guy. Its @wallacerb, in fact i think i am in that video.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
PJ73 is a funny guy, all great advice yes but have you ever seen a kid with a new toy not take it out and play with it right away.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you have lots of good things listed here (and on the checklists) to get. Careful not to go overboard (literally or figuratively). I was advised to get some stuff that I questioned and later wound up never using. If in doubt (and it is not safety related), hold off until you use the boat a couple of times and figure out if you would need it.

One thing I don't believe was mentioned is a CO2 fire extinguisher (those will work better in an engine fire with the fire port than the chemical ones and won't corrode like the chemical ones).

On the dock lines, I was recommended to get double braided ones. Never regretted that.

Congratulations and good luck!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll 2nd this! Its not just for launching either! You'll want a checklist for before you leave the house!!! Things on it like:
  1. The F'ing boat keys! LOL
  2. Towels
  3. Phones/MP3 players etc
  4. boards/skiis/tubes
  5. Life jackets (right sizes for kids going)
  6. Food and drink

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
1. The F'ing boat keys! LOL
Back in the day I dropped my keys somewhere in the sand when pulled up on a sand bar in the Mississippi - took HOURS to find them. Ever since that day all my boats have had a combo-locking key box mounted somewhere on the boat with an extra set of keys. This has also saved me in cases where I forgot the keys at home when heading out for day of boating. :)

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back in the day I dropped my keys somewhere in the sand when pulled up on a sand bar in the Mississippi - took HOURS to find them. Ever since that day all my boats have had a combo-locking key box mounted somewhere on the boat with an extra set of keys. This has also saved me in cases where I forgot the keys at home when heading out for day of boating. :)
Great point.. for the keys, get a set of those floaty things to put on your keys when they are in use on the boat. Secondly, I keep a set of keys in my tow vechicle center console... just in case. I usually never take the keys out of the boat, I just put the controls in reverse when the engines are off. On my boat that prevents the engines from being turned over accidentally when in the water or when she is docked in a place where I feel comfortable leaving it.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Great point.. for the keys, get a set of those floaty things to put on your keys when they are in use on the boat. Secondly, I keep a set of keys in my tow vechicle center console... just in case. I usually never take the keys out of the boat, I just put the controls in reverse when the engines are off. On my boat that prevents the engines from being turned over accidentally when in the water or when she is docked in a place where I feel comfortable leaving it.
Yeah I usually don't take the keys out either but we were camping on the sandbar (pretty big island) and took them out during the night. We used to a lot more of that boat to camp stuff then we do these days.

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
VeVe guides on trailer "Rookie Rods ". Makes loading and unloading much easier. Battery jump box. Noco Genius available on Amazon.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Rookie rods? The only people calling them that would be people who've never had to trailer in a narrow river channel with swirling currents in stiff gusting winds! Then they are loading guides.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rookie rods? The only people calling them that would be people who've never had to trailer in a narrow river channel with swirling currents in stiff gusting winds! Then they are loading guides.
Yep. Can also be really helpful when retrieving after dark.
I've had those on every boat trailer except for the new one, lol, but I'm having them installed as soon as we start trailering again. I also like the pole lights - which help increase the trailer visibility at night tremendously!

--