• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 212x surfing

RingneckRedneck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am new to the forum, I have read a lot of threads on here and they all seem very helpful. Here is where I am at, my lake place is very shallow at the end of my 152 ft of dock on a decent sized lake, about 36-46 inches depending on season and rainfall, also some weeds on the bottom. I currently have a 2014 Four Winns 190 and don't have any problem with depth. We would like to get a boat we can also surf behind, I am a little skeptical of getting a v drive boat due to depth and am currently looking at a 2018 Yamaha 212x. My main question is how will this boat surf? My daughter is 14yo and is looking forward to a surf boat. I know the wake booster is new this year and I am hoping that will help turn this boat into a better surfing boat. We do have sand bars and beaches to hang out on where we are so I like the idea of the Yamaha over a true wake boat due to the versatility. My main question after all this is does anyone have any ideas how this boat will surf? If I purchase it I plan on getting the wake booster package. Thanks in advance for response.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the club.
The tried and true surf setup for a 212 is Gatlin - wake wedge and swim deck ballast bag. Plus a large bag for center locker.

That is a tested and well established mod for this boat. Does not give you a dedicated wake boat wave but it is easily surfable ropeless by adults of any size.
HTH

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It would seem to me you are thinking about it correctly. You understand it will never surf as well as a dedicated surf boat. Yet its capability to do so many things well makes it an appealing package.
The shallow draft was one of the primary reasons we went with a Yamaha. We surf in water that 3'-5' deep. We have a Wake Wedge which helps considerably. You may want to consider it if the Wake Booster does not work. You are going to have to load the boat with people or throw some ballast on the rear corner to get a huge wave. Here are some pictures of @Brian eilrich 's 212X.IMG_7923.JPG IMG_7984.JPG IMG_9422.JPG IMG_9478.JPG

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 212X is a fantastic boat and obviously will handle the shallow water fine. As for surfing, it can be done... if we've learned anything, we've learned Yamaha's marketing of their boats as surf-ready have historically been creatively exaggerated. But aftermarket ballast and accessories such as the Gantlin Wake Wedge have proven to be be a huge help in generating some impressive wakes. The wake booster shows a lot of promise but it's yet to really hit the market for a true public comparison. Now @JetBoatPilot is trying to get in the game with a surf aid device of their own. Will any of them help a 212x match the integrated surf capability of a wake boat? I think most would argue it's not likely. All said, the you'd also have a tough time finding a wake boat that could match the versatility of a Yamaha. It sounds like it'd be a great fit for your application. You will be able to surf it, but you will need some device to help increase the wake size and smooth the jet wash.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2018-11-23_18-12-42.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is my older 212X with a Wake Wedge and just messing around.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
9AF49326-4293-4607-A7BF-D196E92FBD5F.jpeg

Definitely possible... buddy of mine first time out surfing behind my 15 212X... no wedge all ballast 3 people on boat... like everyone said it’s not a dedicated surf boat but you can definitely surf ropeless and make the dedicated boats do a head turn!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the Wedge and the swim deck bag you will have a blast, it's guaranteed and the wave is actually pretty insane when you dial everything in:
upload_2018-11-23_20-27-18.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We often go out with guys who own inboard wake boats, here is one, going: "huh...! I did not expect that...". lolol
upload_2018-11-23_20-33-23.png

"...let me touch... wanna make sure it is real..."
upload_2018-11-23_20-34-49.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the wake booster is new this year
All that said, I am waiting impatiently for feedback on the board they designed for the Yamaha, the one that's sold as a package. The board can be had separately, and I really am looking forward to someone testing and reviewing it here!

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like everyone said Gantiln is proven and we are ACTUAL surfers so we know what it takes. Just because you can make a pretty wave doesnt mean it is surfable. I have been on tons of wave that look awesome to surf but was crap.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am not certain if you are buying a used or new 2018 but I would suggest you consider a used 212X. The current generation came out in 2016. The engines are reliable and robust. Just an option for you.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not certain if you are buying a used or new 2018 but I would suggest you consider a used 212X. The current generation came out in 2016. The engines are reliable and robust. Just an option for you.
I agree. Albeit I will say that:
personally I would buy a used 230 (or a pre-2016 212x) before I would buy a used 2015+ 240 (the new 212x are the same as far as factory QC...).
The shear amount of fixing various factory issues, big and small, tightening loose ends and leaks etc. was maddening. So being the first owner definitely made it easier. It is so nice now that I have more or less everything dialed in, but it took a while.
Just my 0.02

RingneckRedneck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like everyone said Gantiln is proven and we are ACTUAL surfers so we know what it takes. Just because you can make a pretty wave doesnt mean it is surfable. I have been on tons of wave that look awesome to surf but was crap.
It looks like the Gantlin wedge and fat sac are the way to go, quick question, do you have a video out on you tube or someplace else where it shows switching over the universal wake wedge from one side to the other? If I am understanding it correctly that is what the universal wake wedge is designed for, surfing either regular or goofy with a quick changeover?

RingneckRedneck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am looking at a new 2018, holdover from last year, are there problems with this model? I like the 4 year warranty that comes with it..

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No problems that I am aware of. In my opinion the warranty is not worth anything but that has a lot to do with my personality. It is unlikely you will have any warranty items that you couldn't repair yourself. Just trying to save you some money.
Make sure you post pictures of your family enjoying the boat when you get it. And get some video of your 14 year old trying surfing for the first time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking at a new 2018, holdover from last year, are there problems with this model? I like the 4 year warranty that comes with it..
I would check for the anchor locker drain issue, it is a relatively minor/easy fix that can nevertheless create quite a havoc with water in rear storage compartments (the tube between two leafs/layers of hull FRP is either missing or poorly sealed letting water ingress into the space between and into carpeted storage compartments.
Ballast valve obstruction by trailer banks.
Radial tires mounted (not bias-ply) on Shoreland'r trailer, and updated (stronger) fenders that won't vibrate off as fast.
Those are some of the obvious ones with the 2016-2018s that were covered here.

I would also mark/point out/document any gel coat cracks/voids/spider cracks in hull/cap/deck etc. immediately, as well as any blemishes in seats' vinyl. Those things are so much easier to deal with when the boat is still in dealer's yard. We had two cushions replaced right away due to blemishes but decided to wait with some (small) gel coat cracks and ended up eating those.

My dealer has been extraordinarily helpful and honest, St. Charles Boat and Motor, MO, hope you work with someone like that, too. But they can only do so much. Yamaha warranties are worthless if not backed up by a dealer action and also keep in mind the extended "YES" warranty is a generic document they use for all recreational products not just boats, covers basically nothing short of major mechanical failure of the engine due to a factory defect not operator error (vanishingly unlikely). May want to read one now, you will be amused. Those YES warranties help resale value though, FWIW.

--

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
And if you do end up with a 2018 212X, which I have and love, and the audio doesn't sound right, PM me and I will talk you through some issues that Wet Sounds is just figuring out, that were created by Yamaha's wiring harnesses. I can save you a LOT of time sorting it out, having spent a lot of time on it myself trying to figure it all out. You can check the two threads I started in the Stereo/Electronics forums for some background on the audio stuff.

All of that said, and all of the hours I have put into this boat sorting out
relatively minor issues notwithstanding, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

By the way, I believe the current generation 212X began with model year 2017, rather than 2016, to the extent it matters in your searching.

Jeff

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My bad @JDRacing
You are correct. Latest generation started in model year 2017.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My bad @JDRacing
You are correct. Latest generation started in model year 2017.
Yes and yes.

The model year (MY) 2017 was the start of the new generation 212. However those boats became available for purchase already in 2016. Given date of purchase determines a boats "age", a 2016 212x could be the new generation/MY 2017 boat.

Most owners would call a 2017 MY boat purchased in 2016 a 2016. That's how I look at it.

The statement of the model year inception is correct.

--