1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242X E-Series Wake Super Slow When Turning

Discussion in 'Yamaha AR240, SX240, 242 Limited / S / X/ E-Series' started by UtahJetCap, Aug 12, 2018.

1. UtahJetCap

UtahJetCap New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    I’m new here and new to Yamaha and have been trying to find info about this here, but haven't yet. Looking for some insights. Just bought a 2018 242X E-series Wake boat and I like a lot of things about the boat. One thing I’m disappointed with is the boats inability to maintain speed when fully turned. I live in Utah and boat lakes between 3200-6500 ft so I put in the high altitude impellers, never was on the lake with the stock ones. When I turn hard either direction there is a dramatic inability for the boat to maintain speed. I can be cruising at 30 mph and turn hard to complete a 180 and the boat nearly comes off plane and I’ll slow down to about 17-18 mph by half way through the turn. Any thoughts or ideas? Is this typical of the Yamaha? I keep the boat at full throttle and the rpms seem to maintain but speed does not. Hoping to find a way to improve this aspect.

2. Fozzy

Fozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242 Limited S E-Series
    Boat Length:
    The trailer is not still hooked to it is it? I have a 242 LSE and it does fine at Jordanel. I ran mine with the regular impellers and it would not hit the rev limiter and topped out about 30 MPH. With the High altitude impellers it hits the rev limiters at 42MPH on glass. 30 would be top speed on normal Utah water. The boat is a pig to turn if you are new to jet boats. Turning aggressively will cause the jet pumps to cavitate. So when you say you come off plane are the engine RPM's still up? If they are, you are pulling the inlets out of the water or making the water to turbulent to enter the jet pumps. We boat Lake Mead and I still leave the High Altitude impellers in since we surf, board, tube and have a boat full of people. I can cavitate the jets at will at the lower elevation. I do not have ballast in my LSE, I am assuming you're not turning at 30 with all your bags full. That would have a negative effect on performance as well.

3. mrmeaniemeateaterman

mrmeaniemeateaterman Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +286 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Welcome aboard. I'm guessing this is not a Yamaha problem, this is physics. And you will never beat physics, it always wins. Acceleration by physics definitions is a change in velocity or direction or both. While you are going straight at 30mph you are not accelerating because your velocity and direction are constant. Once you start to turn you have changed your direction so your velocity must increase in proportion to keep your "speed" the same, otherwise you will decelerate. The sharper the turn the more throttle/fuel you need to maintain your "speed". High altitude and the added drag of the water is not helping all this and thus you lose a lot of speed, especially doing a 180 degree turn. Keep in mind these boats will turn a lot sharper than most boats anyway. The simple answer is don't turn so sharp so that you stay on plane and keep your nozzles in the water like Fozzy said. If you did a 180 and kept going 30mph the entire time you better have that red kill lanyard strapped to your pants because you're coming out of that boat. ;)
    https://www.khanacademy.org/science...on-tutoria/a/what-is-centripetal-acceleration

4. UtahJetCap

UtahJetCap New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    Haha... Yes, we left the trailer on land ;) What do I need to watch for/listen for with regards to jet pump cavitation? With my previous outboards I would hear the engine noise/pitch change when the prop would cavitate. I didn't notice any engine noise or pitch changes leading me to thing the jet pumps were cavitating. Also, ballasts were empty... only filled while surfing.

5. Fozzy

Fozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242 Limited S E-Series
    Boat Length:
    Maybe you need to explain how hard you are trying to turn. I can turn at 30 and tip the inside of my boat where you can almost touch the water over the rail. I could turn tighter and and end up tipping the boat the other way and take the chance as said above of throwing everyone out of the boat. In this situation you would come off of plain and there is no way you wouldn't lift the back of the boat out of the water and cause the pumps to suck air. I have done it. It is hard to tell if you are sucking air at high rpms as the boat sounds like there is a bunch of bees kicking someones ass under the hood. But as you turn watch the rpm's ,if you are slowing to 17 mph and still in the upper range you are sucking air or have a vacuum in your pump. Remember a Yamaha jet boats nozzles are out of the water at plain speeds. The only thing in the water is the intake grates. When you come off plane the nozzles re enter the water and have more work to do to move the boat forward. A regular boat the prop is always in the water. If I get it to work here is a cool video Jet Boat Pilot did showing the boat on plane and how far the nozzles are out of the water.

• Like Like x 1