• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR 195 max speed 62 mph?

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took a picture while I just made a final payment, out to first try how the boat run, it was still within break in period (of course it was still within 0.5 hour when i checked), but was really surprised how this picture mean, is the mechanic/dealer ran to the top speed and reach 62 mph, or it can be set any?

Attachments

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I took a picture while I just made a final payment, out to first try how the boat run, it was still within break in period (of course it was still within 0.5 hour when i checked), but was really surprised how this picture mean, is the mechanic/dealer ran to the top speed and reach 62 mph, or it can be set any?
I really find it hard to believe that an AR 195 could hit 62 MPH stock.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It probably was on while it was being towed down the road and recorded that. A 195 will definitely not go that fast stock, but could be tuned to do it if you have the money.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It probably was on while it was being towed down the road and recorded that. A 195 will definitely not go that fast stock, but could be tuned to do it if you have the money.
My AR190 had a top speed of 72 when I brought it home. Someone left the key on and towed it down the highway. No way in hell my little 190 is gonna go that fast on water by itself.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AR195 will not do 65 in stock form. Mine does a consistent 50-ish, depending on person load, wind and current conditions. My guess is @2kwik4u is right - key was left on while trailering and the paddle wheel spun that fast due to wind.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had also considered the possibility of the water test at the factory stirring up the water around the paddle wheel and giving a false reading if it was tested in a "tub". If it was lake or otherwise water tested then never mind that theory :D.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was told by a reliable source that Yamaha runs these boats with aftermarket tunes to test reliablity. The 195's are said to run 60+mph with a tune. Maybe Yamaha tested it with a tune before shipping.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup this is more than likely what happened. My boat showed I think 54 or something like that top speed when new :D

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I talked to my dealer and he explained that when they are building the boat they test the engine for reliability. They test it with one person, 3 gallons of fuel, and the boat is stripped down because they haven’t installed cushions, radio, anchor, etc...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They do test the boats.....However the boat is not going to run an extra 10+ mph just because some cushions and a radio are not in it lol. These boats don't come with an anchor and the interiors cushions weigh probably less than 100 lbs all together. It takes all sorts of power mods on these boats just to gain an extra few mph, so thinking you're somehow going to get 60+ mph because of no cushions and such is just dreaming.

The battery was left on and the speedo paddle wheel was spinning in the air when the boat was being trailered. That's how it happens.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Unfortunately there’s a few problems with your theory... I know that on my SX 195 unless the boat is running or only for about one minute after the boat is turned off the instruments work and or able to take a reading. So unfortunately the idea that it got that reading while being trailered is virtually impossible unless the boat was running. Another problem with your theory is that the batteries are dealer installed and not even in the boat during transport.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately there’s a few problems with your theory... I know that on my SX 195 unless the boat is running or only for about one minute after the boat is turned off the instruments work and or able to take a reading. So unfortunately the idea that it got that reading while being trailered is virtually impossible unless the boat was running. Another problem with your theory is that the batteries are dealer installed and not even in the boat during transport.
I've left my boat turned on, on the trailer a number of times (found the radio playing when I got home). I regularly drive over 62mph with the boat on the trailer.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The radio is directly connected to the battery. The key does not have to be on for it to be on. The top speed thing really is puzzling, because the gauges really don't stay on unless the engine is running or YDS is connected.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I guess you could reset the max speed before towing the boat. Check the max speed when you arrive at your destination then we will all know if that is what's happening

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boat did not pick up 10+ MPH (and the additional 70+ hp it would need to reach those speeds) because of less than 100 lbs of weight saving. But you're welcome to believe your dealer.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Yes the radio still works with the power on but the instruments aren’t on or working unless the boat is on and or for a minute after it’s turned off. Plus the paddle on the bottom of the boat uses the resistance of water and not the resistance of air to spin it. Air does not have the same hydrodynamic properties as the resistance of water does. Even if you had the boat on the trailer while the boat is running going down the highway at 65 mph, the paddle wheel is not going to be spinning at the same velocity as it would be when it’s in the water. SamCF above also made an excellent point about them using a different tune while testing it. For example the only thing the stage 1 RIVA tune is that it raises the 8100 rpm rev limit and the boost limit and will make a stock AR/SR195 top out at 62 under certain conditions.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just like removing 100 lbs of cushions and a radio isn't going to add 10+ mph lol. Yamaha isn't going to be using different tunes on these boats for the water tests. Hell we can't even get them to clean out the bilge once they're done or find a leaking boat they've built but yet you think they are going to swap ECU's or flash tunes? Highly unlikely.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
RIVA Stage 1 doesn't include any tunes or increase the rev limit. It's only bolt on parts and no larger SC wheel to increase boost. You have to go up to Stage 2 in order to get the MaptunerX. You'd have to go to Stage 3 kit ($7k) to get the larger SC wheel to increase boost. I'd love to see a 195 hitting 62 MPH gps with just Stage 1. Who did that?

Stage 1 parts list...

IMG_9450.PNG

Last edited:

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
0BA90D33-5945-4B75-8B3F-D04152D1D041.png I think you’re looking at the performance modifications differently because your boat is different than mine. I spoke to Riva on the phone and this is the stage one kit for an SX 195. The stage 2 has the additional bolt-ons and a different tune. One of the reasons why I bought the SX 195 is because Yamaha already addressed a lot of the previous performance issues. That’s why such items as impeller, jet pump, intercooler, oil cooler, and etc... are already upgraded from previous versions. I discovered this through extensive research and discussions with different aftermarket performance companies. For example: I spoke with impeller pros and I wanted to upgrade my impeller to something that would increase top end. What they explained was that Yamaha is already using a 13/21 variable pitch impeller in the 195. If you put the Solas 13/20 that’s listed above in the Riva aftermarket parts list that you attached, it would decrease the top end. Unfortunately that impeller is for WaveRunn and even though we share many similarities and characteristics of that of the WaveRunner engine, the jet pump and impeller is completely different. I have been learning that somethings that work for the waverunners are not applicable to the 190 192 and 195. Just some food for thought and I’m not trying to get into a battle about who knows more about Yamaha boats. I just want to learn as much as I can like everyone else..