• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2018 AR 195 steering wheel dead zone?

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys,

New in jet boating just got my 2018 Ar195 early May, its now 9 hours ready for first 10 hours service.

found the steering kind of loose when i made a turn on wheel regardless right or left, dry or wet on water, there is about 4-5 cm loose that very noticeable of lost, no idea if its normal ? ( but years of driving on road tell me that should not be happen)

beside that,
- when in the wake mode, really have to watch the direction as it does not go straight itself, have to keep hands on wheel all the time to make adjustment. exactly feel the same like this thread called " dead spot " https://jetboaters.net/threads/multiple-questions-on-2017-ar190.14449/#post-249553

- when make turn at higher rpm (above 5k rpm) it slow down a lot dramatically. dealer said its to prevent high speed overturn.

any one had same experience or know how to adjust the control, or all above are normal to jet boat ?

Last edited:
Next time you're out on the boat look back at the jet to see if it is actually moving the spray around. My gut tells me you're is fine. These boats won't begin to actually turn until a little more input is added. You can watch the spray move with your steering input but it takes more to get the boat turning than you're probably accustomed to. Apply more thrust and it will initiate a bit sooner. These boats won't have the responsive steering like a car will. Have to use thrust. If you want more steering input you can get some fins. Either way you will get used to it and learn to handle the boat just fine.

Next time you're out on the boat look back at the jet to see if it is actually moving the spray around. My gut tells me you're is fine. These boats won't begin to actually turn until a little more input is added. You can watch the spray move with your steering input but it takes more to get the boat turning than you're probably accustomed to. Apply more thrust and it will initiate a bit sooner. These boats won't have the responsive steering like a car will. Have to use thrust. If you want more steering input you can get some fins. Either way you will get used to it and learn to handle the boat just fine.
thank you for the reply, just edit the title, as its steering wheel and some other relevant issue to the direction.

When you make a turn the speed will drop off so to sharpen the turn you apply thrust. Jets are not like a conventional boat and will scrub speed quickly when turning. To get these boats to turn hard you drive them like a jet ski.

Has nothing to do with overturning as your dealer said. That's nonsense....

image.png

Go to 3:04 in this video...

Hi guys
I bought a AR 190 2023 and i found the steering wheel turn 360 degree to the right and 180 to the left , I think is not normal right , and my wheel in the center position look outside down , someone notice that

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-10-05 at 07.42.28.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-05 at 07.42.28.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi guys
I bought a AR 190 2023 and i found the steering wheel turn 360 degree to the right and 180 to the left , I think is not normal right , and my wheel in the center position look outside down , someone notice that
If you go to the pump on the back of the boat, you can easily move the pump to center. If you get back in the boat and turn the wheel, or have somebody turn the wheel while you watch, does the pump fully turn the same amount each way? There is a threaded clevis and a nut on the steering cable that connects to the pump. You may need to disconnect the clevis from the pump and re align everything. If you do this, its good to count how many revolutions it takes to fully remove the clevis, in the event this is not the problem you know your starting position. I would have to guess when the steering cable was installed, the wheel was turned one direction, but could be wrong. Shocked the dealer didn't notice this in the "dealer prep fees" we are all charged. You should have the same generation style steering "mini rack" as I have on my boat, so there is no aligning the cable in the wheel. Once you figure out that the steering is turning the correct amount in both directions, you can drop the 4 screws from the steering rack connected to the back of the helm and align the steering wheel so its how you want it to look.

Hope this isn't confusing as I bounced around a little bit, I had to replace my steering cable this year and this is what I found when doing it. Keep us informed if you run into trouble or if this helps.

If you go to the pump on the back of the boat, you can easily move the pump to center. If you get back in the boat and turn the wheel, or have somebody turn the wheel while you watch, does the pump fully turn the same amount each way? There is a threaded clevis and a nut on the steering cable that connects to the pump. You may need to disconnect the clevis from the pump and re align everything. If you do this, its good to count how many revolutions it takes to fully remove the clevis, in the event this is not the problem you know your starting position. I would have to guess when the steering cable was installed, the wheel was turned one direction, but could be wrong. Shocked the dealer didn't notice this in the "dealer prep fees" we are all charged. You should have the same generation style steering "mini rack" as I have on my boat, so there is no aligning the cable in the wheel. Once you figure out that the steering is turning the correct amount in both directions, you can drop the 4 screws from the steering rack connected to the back of the helm and align the steering wheel so its how you want it to look.

Hope this isn't confusing as I bounced around a little bit, I had to replace my steering cable this year and this is what I found when doing it. Keep us informed if you run into trouble or if this helps.
Thank you so much , My boat only has 1 hour and the people on the dealer said is normal ...... the pump turn the same amount right and left in the button the problem is the steering wheel 360 degree right and 180 left and the wheel is not center the yamaha logo is outside down , I can't believe ??? but the problem is the dealer said is ok is normal jetski of Miami dealer , I went to other dealer check the wheel and other boat has 3/4 left and 3/4 right to the center

Something is wrong and sounds like a safety issue in my opinion. I have a 2022 SX195, so I cannot speak directly for the new model years steering system, but I would think they are similar. If you go under the dash behind the steering wheel, does it look like this rack and pinion set up? Something is allowing for to much travel in one direction. Last thing you want it to lose your only mode of steering. if you drop the four bold holding the rack on the steering wheel column, the wheel should free spin both directions. When I removed the clevis on my steering cable at the pump (you will need to do this to lubricate the cable too) it counted roughly 21 to 23 revolutions to get the cable and pump straight. Again, sounds like the wheel was turned when they installed the clevis so you have to much turn in one direction, and not enough in the other.
Jeff at Cobra Jet Steering is pretty wise on these items and has provided some info to me in the past.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC, what do you think about this?
1664993993983.png

thank so much lets me try to contact @Cobra Jet Steering LLC because the boat is o the dealer without solutions
Hi guys
It should turn about the same in both directions so I would disconnect the adjustable clevis 1665012573411.png at the nozzle to free up the cable from the nozzle.
With the nozzle centered see that it moves in both directions evenly with no cable attached to it and if not see what is restricting it's movement
Nothing restricting the movement , Then turn the wheel all the way to the right , place a piece of masking tape on top of the wheel. Then turn it back all the way to the left and place another piece of tape on top of the wheel, then rotate the wheel to the right again so both pieces of tape are evenly pointing to the floor.
Now you can view the badge on the wheel and if you need to move the wheel a little to get it centered correctly no problem .
Next adjust the cable clevis so it aligns with the steering arm of the nozzle and reattach it making sure someone is holding the wheel steady so it does not move while you are adjusting that clevis and reattaching the cable.
Make sure the nozzle is at 90 degrees from the back of the boat, you can use a stick and a clamp to attach the stick to the rudder and have the stick contact the ground to hold the nozzle and rudder in proper position while you adjust the threaded end of the rod that attaches to the clevis and be sure to lock the position with the lock nut when you have the clevis properly adjusted.

It should turn about the same in both directions so I would disconnect the adjustable clevis
1665012573411.png
at the nozzle to free up the cable from the nozzle.
With the nozzle centered see that it moves in both directions evenly with no cable attached to it and if not see what is restricting it's movement
Nothing restricting the movement , Then turn the wheel all the way to the right , place a piece of masking tape on top of the wheel. Then turn it back all the way to the left and place another piece of tape on top of the wheel, then rotate the wheel to the right again so both pieces of tape are evenly pointing to the floor.
Now you can view the badge on the wheel and if you need to move the wheel a little to get it centered correctly no problem .
Next adjust the cable clevis so it aligns with the steering arm of the nozzle and reattach it making sure someone is holding the wheel steady so it does not move while you are adjusting that clevis and reattaching the cable.
Make sure the nozzle is at 90 degrees from the back of the boat, you can use a stick and a clamp to attach the stick to the rudder and have the stick contact the ground to hold the nozzle and rudder in proper position while you adjust the threaded end of the rod that attaches to the clevis and be sure to lock the position with the lock nut when you have the clevis properly adjusted.
thanks you so much I pick out the boat tomorow morning on the dealer and I will work step by step , I appreciate your advise

thanks you so much I pick out the boat tomorow morning on the dealer and I will work step by step , I appreciate your advise
Whatever came of your findings?

Well the dealer remove the steering wheel , change the position a adjust in the nozzle
But I am new with this system this boat its hard to me drive , i think is more easier outboard motors

Back