• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR190 What a Difference!

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am ECSTATIC! Yesterday I finished out a couple of mods/projects and I couldn't believe the results.

First off thanks to Will and crew @JetBoatPilot for the SeaDek! I love the difference from the carpet and it looks so good!

On to the really good news, @AJACHIM and I have gained a great deal of knowledge about our boats from so many helpful members of this forum, so thank you all for input along the way.
The mods I have now completed have really woken up my NA 1.8L motor. I completed the ribbon delete, why i didn't do that sooner i have no idea. As I was putting the intake back together I decided to do something we have done on most of our racing skis in the past... I completely removed the stock air box and replaced the intake with a 6" K&N intake filter. Coupled with the L13 cone that i installed at the end of last season here are my results and numbers. First off the low and mid range increase was incredibly noticeable, the rpm response was almost instantaneous. WOT RPM now 7650 and I increased my top a smidge breaking 45mph ( my weight and water conditions were Ideal with flat water,1,071ft above sea level on Lake Lanier GA., just me in the boat, half tank of fuel and no gear loaded). I am certainly impressed with these three simple yet effective mods! If you have any input and could throw me a few numbers to compare I'm all about it!
As far as the increase in the engine noise/sound i agree with others that it is a noticeable increase, but I can still hear my stereo at WOT... and besides a former jet ski racer, I love some good engine noise lol
One other thing I'm thinking about but would need some honest input first, is to cut a vent under the rear seat/engine cover and place an air scoop and screen just above where the K&N sits to really push some fresh air into the engine compartment like a ram air vent. Under the seat there are 2 channels one on each side and the starboard one is directly above the air filter. Let me know what you think.

Nauti Nurse
p.s. please excuse how dirty she is, she hasn't had her start of season full detail yet! lol
IMG_3676.jpgIMG_3677.jpegIMG_3685.jpeg

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice waiting on my sea deck as we speak and over the past week did the ribbon delete, l13 and put a K&N filter in the factory airbox and removed the snorkel out of the air box as well. Ready for Saturday so I can try it out. 2017 sx190

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats ribbon delete?

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats ribbon delete?
The removal of the metal "filter" that sits just behind the air intake manifold. It is very restrictive. There are a number of great HOW TO threads on here about the removal with or without using the Riva manifold sleeve in its place.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also what was your top speed before the upgrades? I'm down on west point and can only get 39mph out of mine.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Also what was your top speed before the upgrades? I'm down on west point and can only get 39mph out of mine.
What year?

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before mods I topped out at 38 as well based on my phone GPS. I did the Lucky13 cone first near the end of last season and was pushing 41. Yesterday I really had ideal conditions. The lake was like glass and water temp of 67 degrees 1/2 tank of fuel and me and one life jacket in the boat. sustained speed was 44.6-44.9 and broke to 45.0 several times.
To me the cost and ease of those thee mods were well worth it. I wasn't looking for top speed, I am mostly impressed with the low and mid range response because we are into watersports and I was looking for some power while I have 2 ballast bags for surfing and foiling. The mid rage response on the turns helping to maintain speed was noticeable too and will be great for my kids while they tube.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I did the ribbon delete I noticed the engine noise seemed less whiny and more throaty did you notice this as well or am I just losing my mind?

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before mods I topped out at 38 as well based on my phone GPS. I did the Lucky13 cone first near the end of last season and was pushing 41. Yesterday I really had ideal conditions. The lake was like glass and water temp of 67 degrees 1/2 tank of fuel and me and one life jacket in the boat. sustained speed was 44.6-44.9 and broke to 45.0 several times.
To me the cost and ease of those thee mods were well worth it. I wasn't looking for top speed, I am mostly impressed with the low and mid range response because we are into watersports and I was looking for some power while I have 2 ballast bags for surfing and foiling. The mid rage response on the turns helping to maintain speed was noticeable too and will be great for my kids while they tube.
Thanks yeah not looking for top speed as I normally just cruise at like 6k but when me and my dad are messing around maybe he wont outrun me as bad lol the main reason I did the cone was because with 4 people and a kid on it I would have cavitation if I tried to take off hard and the other stuff was to complement it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The best part of the ribbon delete is when slamming the throttle to WOT, the RPMs jump straight to max RPMs and stays there. Awesome feeling and sound. As long as she doesn't cavitate she'll fly.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The best part of the ribbon delete is when slamming the throttle to WOT, the RPMs jump straight to max RPMs and stays there. Awesome feeling and sound. As long as she doesn't cavitate she'll fly.
The RPM response was such a difference!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here in Florida we have an issues with heat sink since the water is sooooo warm. I installed a SVHO Intercooler to help keep the engine cooler.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here in Florida we have an issues with heat sink since the water is sooooo warm. I installed a SVHO Intercooler to help keep the engine cooler.
We have the n/a 1.8 so no intercooler

akatrauma

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the exact same boat, I'm so glad to see your thoughts on the engine mods. We just put in the seadek and we love it!

Irial29

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am ECSTATIC! Yesterday I finished out a couple of mods/projects and I couldn't believe the results.

First off thanks to Will and crew @JetBoatPilot for the SeaDek! I love the difference from the carpet and it looks so good!

On to the really good news, @AJACHIM and I have gained a great deal of knowledge about our boats from so many helpful members of this forum, so thank you all for input along the way.
The mods I have now completed have really woken up my NA 1.8L motor. I completed the ribbon delete, why i didn't do that sooner i have no idea. As I was putting the intake back together I decided to do something we have done on most of our racing skis in the past... I completely removed the stock air box and replaced the intake with a 6" K&N intake filter. Coupled with the L13 cone that i installed at the end of last season here are my results and numbers. First off the low and mid range increase was incredibly noticeable, the rpm response was almost instantaneous. WOT RPM now 7650 and I increased my top a smidge breaking 45mph ( my weight and water conditions were Ideal with flat water,1,071ft above sea level on Lake Lanier GA., just me in the boat, half tank of fuel and no gear loaded). I am certainly impressed with these three simple yet effective mods! If you have any input and could throw me a few numbers to compare I'm all about it!
As far as the increase in the engine noise/sound i agree with others that it is a noticeable increase, but I can still hear my stereo at WOT... and besides a former jet ski racer, I love some good engine noise lol
One other thing I'm thinking about but would need some honest input first, is to cut a vent under the rear seat/engine cover and place an air scoop and screen just above where the K&N sits to really push some fresh air into the engine compartment like a ram air vent. Under the seat there are 2 channels one on each side and the starboard one is directly above the air filter. Let me know what you think.

Nauti Nurse
p.s. please excuse how dirty she is, she hasn't had her start of season full detail yet! lol
View attachment 118948View attachment 118949View attachment 118951
Wow! Any step by step instructions out there on how to complete this? (The more remedial the instructions the better!)
I’d love to replace the air filter box alone just for the sake of how near impossible it is to winterize the boat every year

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! Any step by step instructions out there on how to complete this? (The more remedial the instructions the better!)
I’d love to replace the air filter box alone just for the sake of how near impossible it is to winterize the boat every year
You mean for spraying in oil?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same engine mods minus the fancy filter there.

Biggest gain for me was the consistency. Before the mods a heavy load or hot day meant a noticable hit to performance. After the mods the boat performance is the same wether I'm heavily loaded in August, or barely loaded in April. Same speed, same planing ability, same power and traction. It's just so consistent now.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so top speed is currently still at 39 with a full tank with the wife and myself in it so no change there so that's good and it take off like a rocket and actually made the motor bog a little in a hard turn so may end up pulling a spacer out of the cone but will have to play with it more

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can tune the cone a bit to allow more RPM and not sacrifice traction. Pull a washer or two out and see how it does. That's on my list for this year is to tune in the L13. I've been running for two seasons with all the washers in and haven't messed with it.