• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR195 Filling up with water

Dubdaddy21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello I took our boat out today and notice that I had water in our SKI storage. I always keep the pump on and notice the pump was pushing out water all day. We docked the boat and went and grabbed a bite to eat. and came back to about 2 to 3 inchs of water in the storage area.. Any Ideas?

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have wet kids getting in and out of the boat all day? You said the bilge was running most the day? Is that the pump we’re talking about?

Dubdaddy21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no just a couple adults jumping in and out once in awhile to cool off. and yes the bilge running most of the day, just not when we went to eat

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you happen to notice if the water was cold or hot? If hot, then it's an exhaust leak and we can narrow that down through your hoses. If cold, then it's coming in from outside.

Want to confirm you have your plug installed inside the storage locker? Did you notice the bilge pump on while you were docked eating?

Some of the newer boats have reported issues with the anchor locker drain. It's not sealed correctly and is letting water in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Checking the temp of water is a good idea. Where you say the bilge was on do you mean it was pumping water or that you just turned it on?

It's a debatable topic about leaving out the drain plugs for each compartment. I do not leave my plugs out but rather screw them in. Only time mine come out is when I'm washing the boat in the driveway so water can flow to the back.

We don't have the same anchor locker drain as the other boats so it's not coming from there.

Check the transom drain plugs and make sure nothing looking strange with the oring or that there isn't any debris on the orings. Some people have had their rub rails leak more than others but unless you're running a lot of ballast the rub rail will stay above water except for off the back of the swim platform when coming off plane. But if you had the bilge pump on that should have pumped out any water coming from the rub rail.

Last edited:

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So your boat took on 2" of water into the ski locker while you were sitting docked? Assuming it was not raining, that sounds like one of your rear drain plugs is not in right or your intermediate bearing is leaking. Also, you should't keep your pump on all the time on a 2018 as it will come on automatically when needed.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So have the bilge pumps and operating instructions changed since 2013? I've always operated any boat by the if its in the water the bilge pump switch stays on, mantra. Just wanted to know if you guys with the newer models have an auto bilge, that would be cool and very comforting...If not then I think it is always better to turn the bilge switch on while in the water.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So have the bilge pumps and operating instructions changed since 2013? I've always operated any boat by the if its in the water the bilge pump switch stays on, mantra. Just wanted to know if you guys with the newer models have an auto bilge, that would be cool and very comforting...If not then I think it is always better to turn the bilge switch on while in the water.
If I'm on the water then the bilge switch is on.

Had an auto bilge on the last boat that was on a float switch. That was nice. Had an override to run the pump if I wanted to, but never did.

@Dubdaddy21
I had a CONSTANT leak a few weeks ago. Bilge was coming on ever 10-15 minutes and pumping water out. Turned out to be junk in the O-Ring land around the starboard drain plug. I actually opened the plug while in the water and let water "rush in" to clean it out. Once clean the leak went away. You can open the rear hatch, then open the small white ports, and look down in the bilge with a small flashlight to see the "inside" of the clean out plugs. Mine had a noticeable "flow" coming in there. A quick clean and they were all good.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup, on the water the bilge is ON. It is auto sensing. Best to have a backup bilge pump with a float switch wired directly to the battery. Backup bilge pump should be installed in the actual bilge (lower part of boat below the water line) and not the engine compartment.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe they changed for 2018. If I turn my bilge on it will constantly try to pump and I would imagine eventually burn up. I tested mine with a hose and as long as the battery switch is on (but helm switch off) mine pumps out water as soon as it covers the lower part of the pump.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe they changed for 2018. If I turn my bilge on it will constantly try to pump and I would imagine eventually burn up. I tested mine with a hose and as long as the battery switch is on (but helm switch off) mine pumps out water as soon as it covers the lower part of the pump.
Just looked up the part numbers and the 2018 part is F4A-U8360-00-00 and the 2017 is F1C-U8360-11-00. The new part is physically larger and makes getting the engine drain plug pretty tricky to get your hand on.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I guess the bilge switch for those is to go from "auto" to "manual on" with the newer boats. Supercharger and plumbing already make it kind of tight to use the engine drain plug on the older bilge pumps so I can't imagine it being even worse with the larger newer ones!

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SX190 drain plug installed slightly cockeyed did exactly what you described. Used silicone grease on o-rings , no problem since.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess the bilge switch for those is to go from "auto" to "manual on" with the newer boats. Supercharger and plumbing already make it kind of tight to use the engine drain plug on the older bilge pumps so I can't imagine it being even worse with the larger newer ones!
Yep....takes Trump hands to turn the plug. I just keep my plugs out. If my boat takes on so much water to flood the compartments I would rather it just sink.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SX190 drain plug installed slightly cockeyed did exactly what you described. Used silicone grease on o-rings , no problem since.
I 100% agree on this as well. I used a little vaseline on my drain plugs when I got home. Had a mostly dry bilge on Saturday after a few hours on the water.

My next step is to seal the cleanout port. I'm getting water in the bilge when travelling at high speed, and I'm convinced it's from coming off plane, and having water pushed past the cleanout port seal, then past the crappy seals in the cleanout tray, and the cleanout tray drain that drips into the bilge. That whole setup is a bad combination of poor design and shotty craftsmanship that would take pennies to remedy at the factory.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have tried and tried a tin to ever get water up in the upper deck when coming off plane and I can never get it do it. Bottom deck sure but never the top unless ballasted I could see it happen. One of these days I'm going to film just the transom and do a bunch of runs to see if water ever gets that high, I dint suspect it does but I'll do it for science I guess lol.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Newer models have an auto sense, so even when bilge is switched off it will run. When it's running it will light up. I leave mine off most of the time and I see it pump out water occasionally.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have tried and tried a tin to ever get water up in the upper deck when coming off plane and I can never get it do it. Bottom deck sure but never the top unless ballasted I could see it happen. One of these days I'm going to film just the transom and do a bunch of runs to see if water ever gets that high, I dint suspect it does but I'll do it for science I guess lol.
This is on my list of things to film as well. Gonna be on teh water a bunch this weekend. Might get a family member to take some videos for me. I have a GPS overlay app as well so we can do testing from multiple speeds and variations on slowing down, etc.

I'm also wanting to figure out how to run the boat with the rear access cover open/off. Probably need to wire around the safety switch or figure a way to clamp it. I want some video of how much water gets pushed past the cleanout plug seal, and exactly when it's happening. I know that's where I'm getting water intrusion from, just wish I knew when/why.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had once thought about sticking a GoPro in there with a LED light. I think the water comes past the cleanout plug than from above but just my hunch. My SeaDek is never wet on the upper platform but I'd love to put the theory to rest once and for all :D. Another theory I have is that it could shoot up through the cleanout tray drain hole when coming off plan and then I could see how water would make its way on top of the plug. I don't think it that drain has a check valve ;)

As for the safety switch you could just tape it down. I'd rather leave it closed though because that piece is expensive to replace should it fly apart lol. Can fit a GoPro in there with it shut just need lighting.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had once thought about sticking a GoPro in there with a LED light. I think the water comes past the cleanout plug than from above but just my hunch. My SeaDek is never wet on the upper platform but I'd love to put the theory to rest once and for all :D. Another theory I have is that it could shoot up through the cleanout tray drain hole when coming off plan and then I could see how water would make its way on top of the plug. I don't think it that drain has a check valve ;)

As for the safety switch you could just tape it down. I'd rather leave it closed though because that piece is expensive to replace should it fly apart lol. Can fit a GoPro in there with it shut just need lighting.
Oh, I was going to just unscrew and remove the access cover with seadeck on it for the video. I'm like 99% certain it's coming up past the cleanout plug at high speed. I don't think the pump can move as much water as the tunnel provides (which is a good thing, ensuring net positive pressure on the inlet side of the pump at all times), and that extra pressure lets water past the cleanout plug seal. I don't think it's coming back through the drain on departure from plane. Too much water for that small line in the short amount of time it takes to slow down. Some might be coming through that way, but not much I'm betting.

I've also been considering putting a "backer ring" under the lip on the cleanout seal. A nice piece of custom length O-Ring stock siliconed in there would provide some extra stiffness to the lip seal and hopefully hold back that pressure better.

You've convinced me to take video this weekend. I'll have my brother there with me, and plenty of free time to "play" with the boat without the family around.