• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR240 $650 audio upgrade

Jason Parks

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my new 2018 AR240 last month and immediately wanted to upgrade the audio. Terrible base system and wanted sound off the back. Although I would love to spend $$$ on the audio, just spent $$$$$$ on the boat itself and the "boss" (wife) is holding me to a budget.... for now. Spent lots of hours researching upgrades on the forum (thanks and shout out to majorsmackdown, swatski, chip f, etc. for the audio upgrade posts... big help). Decided on an 8 speaker Polk DB651 system with the original bow and stern speakers powered by the onboard amp. 1 new pair is located around the cockpit on the port and starboard. The other new pair is located in a set of Rockville MAC65b tower pods (providing sound off the back in lieu of cutting out swim deck speakers).

The helm install wasn't bad at all. I was able to place them up higher in the black molding with plenty of room behind the cutout (probably 2.5"). Routing for the starboard side was easy since the amp is installed in the cockpit. For the port side I ran speaker wire around the front of the boat, using the holes from the exposed bow speakers as pull stations (fish tape) as well as the anchor storage area. Bought a $15 hole saw kit from Amazon and used the 5" hole saw.

The tower install was fairly straight-forward. Cut a pilot hole at the location for each tower and then used a step bit to get 1/2" hole. Lowered the wake tower and followed the hole for the tower light with fish tape. I was not able to get (2) 14awg wires through the hole since they were wrapped in the Amazon basics sheathing so I had to use 16awg. Not my first choice but I'm not running massive power to the towers (50w rms/channel) and the run is only 20'.

Power for the Alpine MRV-300 amp was run across the engine bay and along the starboard side to the cockpit. 20' was perfect (Amazon 20' 4awg solid copper power/ground). I wrapped in braided sleeving for additional protection. Amp was installed on a 12"x18" cutting board and hinged on one side ease of access. I mounted the amp on the inside so nothing would be exposed to the cockpit storage.

System sounds fantastic for phase 1 (don't tell my wife there might be more phases) of the build. I'm great with 2 pairs running off the stock amp and the cockpit/tower running off the Alpine. Bass is actually pretty good even though I have no amp installed yet (shh...). Can't wait to get it on the water and jam!

(4) Polk DB651 $256 (Ebay)
(1) Alpine MRV-300 $125 (Amazon)
(1) 4awg power/ground solid copper $47 (Amazon)
(1) 16awg speaker wire $25 (Amazon)
(1) Rockville MAC65b $105 (Amazon)
Misc parts (hole saw, step bit, etc.) $100
Total $650

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my new 2018 AR240 last month and immediately wanted to upgrade the audio. Terrible base system and wanted sound off the back. Although I would love to spend $$$ on the audio, just spent $$$$$$ on the boat itself and the "boss" (wife) is holding me to a budget.... for now. Spent lots of hours researching upgrades on the forum (thanks and shout out to majorsmackdown, swatski, chip f, etc. for the audio upgrade posts... big help). Decided on an 8 speaker Polk DB651 system with the original bow and stern speakers powered by the onboard amp. 1 new pair is located around the cockpit on the port and starboard. The other new pair is located in a set of Rockville MAC65b tower pods (providing sound off the back in lieu of cutting out swim deck speakers).

The helm install wasn't bad at all. I was able to place them up higher in the black molding with plenty of room behind the cutout (probably 2.5"). Routing for the starboard side was easy since the amp is installed in the cockpit. For the port side I ran speaker wire around the front of the boat, using the holes from the exposed bow speakers as pull stations (fish tape) as well as the anchor storage area. Bought a $15 hole saw kit from Amazon and used the 5" hole saw.

The tower install was fairly straight-forward. Cut a pilot hole at the location for each tower and then used a step bit to get 1/2" hole. Lowered the wake tower and followed the hole for the tower light with fish tape. I was not able to get (2) 14awg wires through the hole since they were wrapped in the Amazon basics sheathing so I had to use 16awg. Not my first choice but I'm not running massive power to the towers (50w rms/channel) and the run is only 20'.

Power for the Alpine MRV-300 amp was run across the engine bay and along the starboard side to the cockpit. 20' was perfect (Amazon 20' 4awg solid copper power/ground). I wrapped in braided sleeving for additional protection. Amp was installed on a 12"x18" cutting board and hinged on one side ease of access. I mounted the amp on the inside so nothing would be exposed to the cockpit storage.

System sounds fantastic for phase 1 (don't tell my wife there might be more phases) of the build. I'm great with 2 pairs running off the stock amp and the cockpit/tower running off the Alpine. Bass is actually pretty good even though I have no amp installed yet (shh...). Can't wait to get it on the water and jam!

(4) Polk DB651 $256 (Ebay)
(1) Alpine MRV-300 $125 (Amazon)
(1) 4awg power/ground solid copper $47 (Amazon)
(1) 16awg speaker wire $25 (Amazon)
(1) Rockville MAC65b $105 (Amazon)
Misc parts (hole saw, step bit, etc.) $100
Total $650
Nice clean install! Love the hinged board! Is the curtain a Yamaha OEM part now, or did you install one yourself?

The factory did not use to install any amps in AR240s in the past, so are some of your DBs run from the HU?
I have 2 pairs of DB651s run at 2ohms and 3 pairs at 4ohms. I honestly can not tell which configuration is better, partly because they are in different locations, but the point is if your amp can handle 2ohms loads you may be able to run all 4 pairs from it.
In my case the difference between running DBs from the HU vs amp (clarion xc1410 in my case) was dramatic.

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also - just noticed - your first post! Welcome, what a great entry!

I'm getting ready to clean up my helm wiring a bit more, and might add a hinged board as well. Your board install looks super clean and robust. Love it!

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have to second @swatski's comment, really great idea with the hinged amp board with the components inside the helm. Mine is hinged as well, but everything still sticks out into the storage area. I'm always having to tell people to be careful when putting bags and stuff in there, lest they knock something out.

That curtain came on my 2017 as well.

Jason Parks

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. The curtain came on the 2018 so my guess is it’s new. Correct, I’m using the HU for the original 4 speakers. They sound fine but I’ve thought of doing exactly what yo suggested, pairing them with the new speakers and running everything from the alpine @ 2ohm. Went out today and No Shors radio played perfectly on the new system. Love it, now just need to convince the wife we need a sub!

Jason Parks

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those interested in the dimensions, the audio cockpit opening is 17”x22”. I used a 12x24 board since I’m only mounting 1 amp. If you’re mounting 2 then buy a 18x24 board and you should have room to store everything on the inside.