• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Audi Q5 2.0

Tim Piroli

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I'm looking for some opinions on whether the 2018 or 2019 Audi Q5 2.0T could reliably tow a new 2019 Yamaha AR195. I know that the new AR's area little heavier than the out going models. I would like to ability to tow short and long distances at highway speeds. I think I remember seeing someone tow with a SQ5. My other option is a Q7, I know that this will tow without a problem, but it might be too much vehicle for what I am looking for. Thanks for you input!

Edit: I am seeking some input from someone that has towed with a Q5

Last edited:

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With tow package, 4.4k capacity. Seems not to be an issue for a 19ft yamaha.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Q5 is tight for what would be about 3700-3900 lbs of weight reliastically. Depending on where you live may be ok (flat, hilly, etc...). Tow rating is maybe 4,400 per post above but that is with 1 occupant of 150lbs in Q5 then you have to take away tongue weight plus any additional occupants from that number. Like I said, it’s too much imho for Q5.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Q5 is tight for what would be about 3700-3900 lbs of weight reliastically. Depending on where you live may be ok (flat, hilly, etc...). Tow rating is maybe 4,400 per post above but that is with 1 occupant of 150lbs in Q5 then you have to take away tongue weight plus any additional occupants from that number. Like I said, it’s too much imho for Q5.
Also turbos tend to heat and towing will cause even more heat shortening the turbo life probably drastically at what would be 100% of capacity any time you tow.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Shannon tows with his SQ5 and I believe @Scottintexas tows with his TDI Q5 also. The chassis is beyond capable. The engine might leave you a bit underwhelmed, but it'll do it. Long term, I'd go for a high flow cat and a tune. Or a diesel swap. :)

Tim Piroli

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Thanks for all the input so far. Audi lists the tow capacity at 4.4K for the Q5 2.0. Any input from Q owners. Does anyone know the actual weight of a 2019 AR 195 on a trailer. I know what Yamaha lists it at but can’t believe the 2019’s are that much heavier!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I weighed my SX190 at cat scale with trailer and full tank of gas and got a figure of 3,805lbs at the time, probably another 50lbs now with the wife’s paddleboard and our tube. The AR tower is probably heavier than my Bimini top.

Tim Piroli

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I weighed my SX190 at cat scale with trailer and full tank of gas and got a figure of 3,805lbs at the time, probably another 50lbs now with the wife’s paddleboard and our tube. The AR tower is probably heavier than my Bimini top.
Is that for a 2019?

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Tim Piroli I tow my 2016 AR192 with my 2017 Audi SQ5. From a power stand point it feels like there is really nothing behind me. It is a short vehicle so you def know you have something behind you. I was surprised there is really no squat at all.. I tow a lot and on interstate here in NC and SC. I hold 80mph in 8th gear 90% of the time. The SQ5 has the ZF 8 speed and my engine has the supercharger. The car feels very solid towing and no stress at all on long trips. Hands down the best vehicle I have owned. I have driven the 2.0 and I am pretty sure on flat ground you would not have any issues towing with it. @veedubtek is a jeti when it comes to knowing Auid's and VW's. If it were me I would atleast get the basic Q5 with the 3.0 V6. The diesel Q5 would be the best unless you go for the SQ5. Hope this helps.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
sorry Tim, yes 2019.

My 2 2018 Grand Cherokees both have the ZF 8 speed shannon refers to in his SQ5 and that transmission is a stout module, one of the best in the industry.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With no 3rd row, Q5 (and also Tuaregs) have the hitch ball very close to the rear axle which helps prevent squatting.
These cars have such superior traction control, and being low to the ground and heavy makes them unbelievably capable for towing, they tow well beyond their relative size.

My old Q7 TDI was a dream. The only potential issue I can think of is if your hitch is loose and bounces around in the receiver - the sound carries through the chassis, but that is easy to fix if happening.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Used diesel q7's have been interesting to watch with all the recall stuff. Prices are pretty cheap now.
If my pickup dies i may look at one for a fancy get to work truck!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the diesel Q5 and currently am dragging my feet about installing hitch so I haven't towed anything with it yet (although @Betik jetski is going to have a busy summer if my 15 year old daughter has any say in it, she just willing completed her boater safety course in two days know it was a possibility!)

I was really on the fence about the TDI but have been very happy with it and really thinking of a Q7 TDI to pull the AR230 when another kid needs a car and sell the old truck, if you drive a lot or tow a lot I think it's worth it,

lenvo65

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the brother to these SUVs, 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel with 3.0 liter turbo diesel - 406ft/lbs of torque - Great tow vehicle for my 232 limited. These, like the Q7 diesel, are now cleared from the recall process and can be a good deal. On the Porches (don't know about Audis) as part of the diesel-gate recall they extended the bumper to bumper warranty for unlimited miles 6 year from date of service- thats what locked in the deal for me- Already put 15k miles on it the months I've owned it (vast majority not towing).

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the diesel Q5 and currently am dragging my feet about installing hitch so I haven't towed anything with it yet (although @Betik jetski is going to have a busy summer if my 15 year old daughter has any say in it, she just willing completed her boater safety course in two days know it was a possibility!)
just text me when you leave home and it will be on the floor when you arrive.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the Porsche Cayenne Diesel option. Particularly because I'm selling mine. :p

But, if I had a 2.0T q5 and an ar195, I'd tow it local all day long. They tow far more with them across the pond, it's a strong chassis. You'll 100% know it's behind you on acceleration though.

Tim Piroli

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I like the Porsche Cayenne Diesel option. Particularly because I'm selling mine. :p

But, if I had a 2.0T q5 and an ar195, I'd tow it local all day long. They tow far more with them across the pond, it's a strong chassis. You'll 100% know it's behind you on acceleration though.
Thanks for you opinion. I'm still torn between the Q7 and Q5. I really would like to have the smallness of the Q5 as I'm tired of driving a large vehicle.

Josh Tankersley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I towed my AR190 with a 2016 Q5 for a year without issue, the new generation Q5 has a more powerful 2.0 than the previous so it would be even easier. If you are looking for more grunt without as much added size as the Q7, I would suggest the new Q8. I work at an Audi dealer in Atlanta, I can confirm that it is smaller than the Q7 and also has the newest tech Audi currently offers including multiple touchscreens.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Q7 hands down, if any towing is planed to be involved.
My 0.02. The new Qs have gotten substantially slimmer and lighter.