• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Charleston Pinopolis Lock Cooper River Run/ Hilton Head Gathering 5/12 and 5/13 2018

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the last several years @Andy S and I have helped oragize what is usually the first Jetboaters.net gathering of the year and we have already selected our dates for 2018 so I figured I would go ahead and get this started to give plenty of time for those interested to plan as we will be changing the format a little this year. This trip will be a run down the Cooper River launching at Hill's Landing which is on the east side of Hwy 45, http://www.hillslanding.com/ on the diversion canal then a 13 mile run across Lake Moultrie to the Pinopolis Lock which if a 90 foot single lift lock and great experience. We then will continue on 51 mile run down to Charleston Harbor at which point there will be 2 options to either stay the night in Charleston or you may continue down the ICW for another 90 miles with us and on to Hilton Head Island SC. For the Hilton Head part we will stop and refuel at St John's Yacht Harbor on the Stono Creek and continue on to Beaufort where we will stop and grab lunch and refuel again if needed before heading down to Hilton Head. I will put a basic Itinerary below all of course is subject to change for weather. For those who only wish do due the Head portion of the run I will probably be launching from Remeley's Point Landing in Charleston and just doing the Hilton Head part you are welcome to join me for that.

5/12/2018

8am launch from Hills Landing, 728 Hills Landing Rd, Cross SC

8:30 am Arrive and Clear Pinopolis Lock

10:45am- 11am arrive in Charleston -
For those staying the night in Charleston and exploring the waters around there we have always used City Marina and they have been great for us and offer a free shuttle to your hotel and down town. We have stayed at the Marriott downtown the last few years and they are great as well with a free shuttle back to the marina and down town for evening activities if you so desire. If you have any questions let @Andy S or I know and we will do our best to get you set up in the correct direction.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chsmc-charleston-marriott/
http://www.charlestoncitymarina.com/

11-11:30 am Refuel at St Johns Yatch Harbor and continue down to Beaufort.

12:30-1pm arrive in Beaufort and grab lunch and refuel if needed.

2-3PM depart Beaufort for Hilton Head

3:30- 5pm arrive in Hilton Head ( We will likely be staying in the Marriott Resort Harbor Point at Shelter Cove Marina)

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hhhpt-marriotts-harbour-point-and-sunset-pointe-at-shelter-cove/
https://www.palmettodunes.com/shelter-cove/marina-hilton-head?utm_campaign=GoogleBusiness&utm_medium=local&utm_source=Google&utm_content=ShelterCoveMarina&nck=8435939116

5/13

8-9am Depart Hilton Head and reverse the trip.

11-12:30 Arrival in Charleston for Refuel to head back up the river and meet back up with the Charleston crew possible lunch as well somewhere or lunch on the water.

3-4pm Arrival back at Hills Landing.

Committed Participants Hills Landing Launch and Overnight Stop
@Andy S - Hilton Head
@Wesley D - Hilton Head
@Mainah +1 - Hilton Head
@ACrews - ?
@Eric Ballard - Hilton Head
@veedubtek - Hilton Head
@BigAbe75 - Hilton Head
@Oscar Arrechea - Hilton Head
@JeffVans - Hilton Head
@Wisefam22 - Hilton Head

Committed Participants Charleston Launch and Over Night Stop
@robert843 - Hilton Head
@Joshua Miller - Hilton Head
@Seadeals - Hilton Head
@GMAN2015 - Hilton Head

Possible Participants

@Mark
@Hilario Perez

@Mark @Monterro @DieselCamel @Julian
@veedubtek @96Pirate @bronze_10 @justason @tim h @tdonoughue
@JROD@NC_Mid_Atlantic@NC_New_Bern_to_Beaufort
@ACrews @Eric Ballard @waterboy @AndyD
@spaz1868 @Jet Blue @Seadeals @redthumper9
@njmr2fan @Rideitout @rkluck @Rob9550
@Ramblin Wreck @jeremy0011@Andy S @Joker
@Wesley D @ACrews @Ramblin Wreck @Appollo @Eric Ballard
@Shannon @Rob9550 @bronze_10 @chess @Cwigg951 @GMAN2015
@RCarlisle @Chad-MYR @piney1 @Fourjets @Neutron @Foobar
@Hal G. @Brandon_SC @SamCF

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those that are doing the Charleston to Hilton Head run and will be coming down I-26 or up Hwy 17 from the south, I recommend launching at WO Thomas ramp off I-526 at the Ashley River. This ramp is easier to get to, has plenty of free parking, and is very convenient to a meeting location, this is where a group of us launched from on 2017 river run. If you are coming down Hwy 17 from the north then Remley Point is the right ramp to launch from.

I will be launching from Hills Landing on the diversion channel.

Here is a map with a few key point labeled in red.
Charleston Locations.jpg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the information guys. This year’s plan offers great options for everyone...very cool. My young crew probably isn’t cut out for the entire route; but can handle one of the two. Still undecided; but the Charleston-Hilton Head run does look intimidating with the spaghetti of creeks and rivers so we will likely play it safe and do a repeat of the Cooper (with the lock this time).

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I make it back from this Deployment in time we will be there...buts its a BIG "IF"! I could be here till mid June or later if things don't work out as planned.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I make it back from this Deployment in time we will be there...buts its a BIG "IF"! I could be here till mid June or later if things don't work out as planned.
Hope you make it back in time to join us. Stay safe and thanks for your service.

Wesley D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My wife, son and I plan on doing the trip. Ideas on places to stay the night before the trip and the night after? I can hotel it or RV. Thanks Wes
wes@wesleyrusk.com

Wesley D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Disregard my place to stay question. We can stay at hills landing unless someone says other wise? Thanks

Appollo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a great trip I’ll follow, not sure about our schedule just yet.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah hopefully you will be able to make this trip.
All looks good right now and looking foward to it. I will get on booking lodging next week. Where is everyone staying?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone considered renting a very large home for the weekend?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob thanks for your service and we sure do hope to see you my man! If your not back and your family would like to join they are welcome to ride with my family.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob thanks for your service and we sure do hope to see you my man! If your not back and your family would like to join they are welcome to ride with my family.
I will talk to Verena and see if she wants to join if I don't make it in time. I know that we are trying to get over to Myrtle in July so I will be messaging you for some info for things to do with the boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will talk to Verena and see if she wants to join if I don't make it in time. I know that we are trying to get over to Myrtle in July so I will be messaging you for some info for things to do with the boat.
Just let me know what days you guys will be around maybe I will take a few days off and show you around the waterway here. We will be in Bimini the end of June but should be back by the first week of July.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All looks good right now and looking foward to it. I will get on booking lodging next week. Where is everyone staying?
Nothing definitive has been set but I think where ever we stay it will be close to Shelter Cove Marina, https://www.palmettodunes.com/shelter-cove/marina-hilton-head .
Has anyone considered renting a very large home for the weekend?
I did a quick look on vrbo.com and didn't find anything that would be convenient with arriving by boats, doesn't mean there isn't something out there.

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a lot of shallow water btw the Lock and Charleston on the Cooper? Looking at the Navionics app either they don’t have a good portion charted or there is a pretty good section of the trip that looks to be very shallow

For the last several years @Andy S and I have helped oragize what is usually the first Jetboaters.net gathering of the year and we have already selected our dates for 2018 so I figured I would go ahead and get this started to give plenty of time for those interested to plan as we will be changing the format a little this year. This trip will be a run down the Cooper River launching at Hill's Landing which is on the east side of Hwy 45, http://www.hillslanding.com/ on the diversion canal then a 13 mile run across Lake Moultrie to the Pinopolis Lock which if a 90 foot single lift lock and great experience. We then will continue on 51 mile run down to Charleston Harbor at which point there will be 2 options to either stay the night in Charleston or you may continue down the ICW for another 90 miles with us and on to Hilton Head Island SC. For the Hilton Head part we will stop and refuel at St John's Yacht Harbor on the Stono Creek and continue on to Beaufort where we will stop and grab lunch and refuel again if needed before heading down to Hilton Head. I will put a basic Itinerary below all of course is subject to change for weather. For those who only wish do due the Head portion of the run I will probably be launching from Remeley's Point Landing in Charleston and just doing the Hilton Head part you are welcome to join me for that.

5/12/2018

8am launch from Hills Landing, 728 Hills Landing Rd, Cross SC

8:30 am Arrive and Clear Pinopolis Lock

10:45am- 11am arrive in Charleston -
For those staying the night in Charleston and exploring the waters around there we have always used City Marina and they have been great for us and offer a free shuttle to your hotel and down town. We have stayed at the Marriott downtown the last few years and they are great as well with a free shuttle back to the marina and down town for evening activities if you so desire. If you have any questions let @Andy S or I know and we will do our best to get you set up in the correct direction.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chsmc-charleston-marriott/
http://www.charlestoncitymarina.com/

11-11:30 am Refuel at St Johns Yatch Harbor and continue down to Beaufort.

12:30-1pm arrive in Beaufort and grab lunch and refuel if needed.

2-3PM depart Beaufort for Hilton Head

3:30- 5pm arrive in Hilton Head ( We will likely be staying in the Marriott Resort Harbor Point at Shelter Cove Marina)

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hhhpt-marriotts-harbour-point-and-sunset-pointe-at-shelter-cove/
https://www.palmettodunes.com/shelter-cove/marina-hilton-head?utm_campaign=GoogleBusiness&utm_medium=local&utm_source=Google&utm_content=ShelterCoveMarina&nck=8435939116

5/13

8-9am Depart Hilton Head and reverse the trip.

11-12:30 Arrival in Charleston for Refuel to head back up the river and meet back up with the Charleston crew possible lunch as well somewhere or lunch on the water.

3-4pm Arrival back at Hills Landing.

@Mark @Monterro @DieselCamel @Julian
@veedubtek @96Pirate @bronze_10 @justason @tim h @tdonoughue
@JROD@NC_Mid_Atlantic@NC_New_Bern_to_Beaufort
@ACrews @Eric Ballard @waterboy @AndyD
@spaz1868 @Jet Blue @Seadeals @redthumper9
@njmr2fan @Rideitout @rkluck @Rob9550
@Ramblin Wreck @jeremy0011@Andy S @Joker
@Wesley D @ACrews @Ramblin Wreck @Appollo @Eric Ballard
@Shannon @Rob9550 @bronze_10 @chess @Cwigg951 @GMAN2015
@RCarlisle @Chad-MYR @piney1 @Fourjets @Neutron @Foobar

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is there a lot of shallow water btw the Lock and Charleston on the Cooper? Looking at the Navionics app either they don’t have a good portion charted or there is a pretty good section of the trip that looks to be very shallow
It is plenty deep. Of course there are shallow spots here and there but they are easy to navigate even without GPS/charts.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have found to get this whole trip on Navionics or most GPS's you have to have the coastal and lake charts both purchased. There are several shallow areas as I think there used to be a lot of old rice plantations in the area that have since been flooded out. The river is marked very well and you should not wind up in any of those areas as long as you stay in the markers you are usually in 10ft plus of water if you get outside of the markers it can get shallow. @Andy S and I have done this run multiple time and feel confident you would have a great guide that would keep you out of trouble whether its with @Andy S or with another fellow member who has done this trip. This is a great run and a great first run for those looking to experience traveling by boat to a long distance destination for a first time.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the information guys. This year’s plan offers great options for everyone...very cool. My young crew probably isn’t cut out for the entire route; but can handle one of the two. Still undecided; but the Charleston-Hilton Head run does look intimidating with the spaghetti of creeks and rivers so we will likely play it safe and do a repeat of the Cooper (with the lock this time).
@Seadeals it will be great to see you guys again! I'm in the same situation I will have a 2 year old with me which is why I will likely only do one portion as well. The Charleston to Hilton Head side will be a little more complex then the Cooper River run. It will involve multiple bodies of water and rivers making navigation a little more detailed. Once again this area is marked by ICW markers but there are a few large bodies of water where multiple waters converge which can cause some heavy currents and some rough chop. Not saying that to talk you or anyone out of the Charleston to Hilton Head part but just want people to know because if your crew isn't ready for that it could make for a rough not fun trip for you and your crew. We planned this trip back in the fall but @Andy S and I had to bail due to various reasons a couple of guys on skis went any way they made it to Hilton Head but due to weather conditions being cooler then anticipated and water conditions being rougher then anticipated opted to return to Charleston by rental car the next day and grab there trailers and pick up the watercraft in Hilton Head versus returning by water craft. I only say this to let all know there is a chance that the water could be rough in sections of the Charleston to Hilton Head run versus the normal very calm river run down the cooper river.