• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Day or weekend trips to Old Sacramento and a Lake ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz , @wardial , @rsg1963 , @Ajohn5555 , @Cotay , @Luis Reyes , @kvoman , @rayrosas , @ZeeOne7345

Also

@Doug , @Muck , @6wheeldiesel , @RFScarab, @jdonalds , @lazylion , @OrangeTJ

There really are not many of us in the SF Bay Area or Northern California.
It would be nice if we could get together on the water this coming season.

I propose two trips:

First a meet and greet from the Antioch area to Old Sacramento on either May 19th or June 2nd. That is either the weekend before or after Memorial Day weekend. We could meet up at either the Antioch Boat ramp ($5 to launch) and/or Brannon Island ($20 bridge toll headed north plus $10 to launch), boat up to Old Sacramento and either eat in town or hang out at their local party spot (Discovery Park, I think). For those so inclined you can stay over night in view of your boat from the embassy suites. Use of the guest dock is $1.50 per foot per night plus a little more for shore power.

Second is more of a hang out day/weekend at a lake. My suggestion is Lake Berryessa (the town o Winters is near by or there are options to rent cabins at Markle Cove and other locations on the lake) in June or July but I’m open to suggestions on the location and date. My plan is to plan go with the Majority.

Of course everyone is invited but I’d like to get feedback from “the locals” since you are the most likely participants.

So what do you think about the trip to Old Sacramento, are you in? If so what date?

Please also provide feedback on a Lake Day gathering. That is what Lake/reservoir and Saturday / weekend works for you? FYI - I will be at the Modesto Reservoir the weekend of July 21st.

I usually have room in my boat if you want to join but not with your own boat.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We'd probably be up for something like that if the timing works out. We definitely still want to take the trip up the river to Sac. We just bought a new motorhome though so my time will be spent getting that all "modded" and set up for everything we want to use it for.

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz , @wardial , @rsg1963 , @Ajohn5555 , @Cotay , @Luis Reyes , @kvoman , @rayrosas , @ZeeOne7345

Also

I propose two trips:

First a meet and greet from the Antioch area to Old Sacramento on either May 19th or June 2nd. That is either the weekend before or after Memorial Day weekend. We could meet up at either the Antioch Boat ramp ($5 to launch) and/or Brannon Island ($20 bridge toll headed north plus $10 to launch), boat up to Old Sacramento and either eat in town or hang out at their local party spot (Discovery Park, I think). For those so inclined you can stay over night in view of your boat from the embassy suites. Use of the guest dock is $1.50 per foot per night plus a little more for shore power.

Second is more of a hang out day/weekend at a lake. My suggestion is Lake Berryessa (the town o Winters is near by or there are options to rent cabins at Markle Cove and other locations on the lake) in June or July but I’m open to suggestions on the location and date. My plan is to plan go with the Majority.

Of course everyone is invited but I’d like to get feedback from “the locals” since you are the most likely participants.

So what do you think about the trip to Old Sacramento, are you in? If so what date?

Please also provide feedback on a Lake Day gathering. That is what Lake/reservoir and Saturday / weekend works for you? FYI - I will be at the Modesto Reservoir the weekend of July 21st.

@Ronnie. New to this forum and just purchased a 2017 242LTDS on Friday. Live just over the hill in Reno and would be interested in participating in a Yamaha meetup this summer.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz , thanks for responding. Please let me know if you are available May 19th or June 2nd for the trip to Old Sac. Hopefully some others will chime in and I will just schedule with the majority. I will likely book a night at the embassy suites and make it a boating weekend.

@ilangtry , congrats on the new boat. You and anyone that wants to join me for either outing is welcome to. The trip up to old sac maybe a logistical nightmare for you though since it starts about 50 south of Sacramento and as I recall Sacramento is at least 50 south of Reno.

ZeeOne7345

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Also

I propose two trips:

Sound fun keep me updated a run up to Sac sound good

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jeremiah check this one out. I think you are just in time

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Berreyessa for sure. I’m in!

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also I would love to do the delta to sac run. Either weekend is fine. Just let me know what you decide.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cool, I will get back into this soon, life has just been busy lately.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hey guys! Finally got around to reading this...

Would love to meet up and do the run up to Sac!

I can't do May 19 (ahem... bachelor party in New Orleans)... but am totally down for June 2nd!

Ronnie - thanks for organizing. Say the word!

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys! Finally got around to reading this...

Would love to meet up and do the run up to Sac!

I can't do May 19 (ahem... bachelor party in New Orleans)... but am totally down for June 2nd!

Ronnie - thanks for organizing. Say the word!
I’m in

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So with June 2nd being only 6 weeks out I know it’s time to start firming up plans for the trip/rally to Old Sacramento.
@1rjclark (sorry I missed you when I started this string).

Here is what I propose.

1. Meet at the boat ramp at Brannon Island State Park at 9 am (I am open to starting earlier if the majority is but most of us are at least an hours drive away from the ramp).

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=487

The current cost is $17 ($10 per tow vehicle plus a $7 launch fee).
This is in addition to the $20 toll to cross the Antioch Bridge ($5 per axle so if you tow with a dually the toll will be $25 if you have a 2 axle trailer). Not cheap but there are 6 to 8 concrete ramps that are not to steep, plenty of parking and security of sorts in the form of park rangers and a camp ground manager. The restrooms are next to the ramp and showers/camping is also available there. Finally, it’s closer to the main slough up to Sacramento than the alternatives below.
3623C538-E5D2-4260-AED9-B3623922B13F.png FF073D9A-07B6-4317-AA76-444C9B7F9ABA.png
Less expensive alternatives are to launch from the Antioch side of the bridge at the new Antioch boat ramp or Big Break Marina in Oakley. Parking is free at the new Antioch boat ramp and the launch fee is $5. It’s been a while since I launched out of Big Break but recall the cost was about $10 at the time. Of course there are other alternatives but they are further away. Travel time by boat from either of these alternative launch sites to Brannnon island is about 30 minutes (longer of its windy). Be forewarned though, the Antioch boat ramps have a slight incline at the top of them that my under trailer spare tire mount always scrapes on no matter what angle I hit them from, there is also no active security although the police station is a few blocks away. Big Break doesn’t have the best ramp and a lot fewer parking spots. If you launch from Big Break make sure you understand where to turn / Break off to avaoid the sand bar (the reason it’s named big break I believe) and take the eastern route towards Brannon Island, the latter applies to the Antioch boat ramp as well (meaning you will have to go under the Antioch bridge to get to the recommended route).
9F034653-D882-4B3A-8D92-FD0CA9EBAEA1.png

2. The trip up to Old Sacramento is about 50 miles from Brannon Island. The fastest I’ve ever made the run is 2.5 hours (with no stops). There are a few long no wake zones on the route and I usually err on the side of caution when approaching fisherman at anchor. I recommend that everyone fill up before they get to the ramp simply because it’s cheaper than doing so on the water. On paper I can do the round trip without refueling but I always refuel before the return trip, expect to pay at least $1 more per gallon if you refuel on the water.

Once we leave Brannon Island we will head towards the bridge near the entrance of the park, go under it and make a right towards the rio vista bridge. After passing under it we turn right up the Sacramento River slough towards Isleton. From there we follow the slough up to Old Sacramento.

3. Once we get there we can stop at the guest docks and eat lunch / walk Old Sacramento and/or continue on 3 miles or so to Discovery Park (I believe it’s the local boaters’ hang out spot and where events like rage on the river are held) to eat and swim there.
http://oldsacramento.com/get-here/by-boat
696A5FE4-CF7E-494A-A46B-F367540FCA27.png

4. If you want to get back before dark (so you don’t have to boat in the dark) I suggest leaving at 430 at the latest, this assumes sun set is around 730. For those wanting to stay overnight I highly recommend the embassy suites which has direct access to the Old Sacramento guest docks. Not cheap at $200 ish per night but very conveniently located next to the water and Old Sacramento.
https://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/6124394/embassy-suites-sacramento-riverfront-promenade-sacramento-ca/?cid=sem::OTPRC::AW::pT-P01::Hilton-Embassy-Suites::Embassy-Suites-Sacramento-Riverfront-Promenade-Sacramento-CA-US-271325-did-6124394::embassy-suites-old-sacramento::Exact&creative=252696539719&device=t&AdPos=1t1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=embassy-suites-old-sacramento&utm_campaign=Hilton-Embassy-Suites&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_113118799_g_5903514439_w_kwd-3156581833_h_9032047_ii__d_t_v__n_g_c_252696539719_k_embassy suites old sacramento_m_e_l__t__e__r_1t1_vi__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOGep7LG2gIVjMpkCh3XQgWmEAAYASAAEgJIrvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On the return trip I usually take steamboat slough which is before walnut grove just for the change in scenery (there is a private beach that rents out space, a few resorts, residences, a car ferry crossing, etc., things you don’t see on the main slough).

* Alright guys, I think I covered all the bases but please let us know if I missed anything. Finally, I want to start a head count, who is in on this and do you plan to launch from Brannon Island or some other ramp?

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So with June 2nd being only 6 weeks out I know it’s time to start firming up plans for the trip/rally to Old Sacramento.
@1rjclark (sorry I missed you when I started this string).

Here is what I propose.

1. Meet at the boat ramp at Brannon Island State Park at 9 am (I am open to starting earlier if the majority is but most of us are at least an hours drive away from the ramp).

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=487

The current cost is $17 ($10 per tow vehicle plus a $7 launch fee).
This is in addition to the $20 toll to cross the Antioch Bridge ($5 per axle so if you tow with a dually the toll will be $25 if you have a 2 axle trailer). Not cheap but there are 6 to 8 concrete ramps that are not to steep, plenty of parking and security of sorts in the form of park rangers and a camp ground manager. The restrooms are next to the ramp and showers/camping is also available there. Finally, it’s closer to the main slough up to Sacramento than the alternatives below.
View attachment 72417 View attachment 72418
Less expensive alternatives are to launch from the Antioch side of the bridge at the new Antioch boat ramp or Big Break Marina in Oakley. Parking is free at the new Antioch boat ramp and the launch fee is $5. It’s been a while since I launched out of Big Break but recall the cost was about $10 at the time. Of course there are other alternatives but they are further away. Travel time by boat from either of these alternative launch sites to Brannnon island is about 30 minutes (longer of its windy). Be forewarned though, the Antioch boat ramps have a slight incline at the top of them that my under trailer spare tire mount always scrapes on no matter what angle I hit them from, there is also no active security although the police station is a few blocks away. Big Break doesn’t have the best ramp and a lot fewer parking spots. If you launch from Big Break make sure you understand where to turn / Break off to avaoid the sand bar (the reason it’s named big break I believe) and take the eastern route towards Brannon Island, the latter applies to the Antioch boat ramp as well (meaning you will have to go under the Antioch bridge to get to the recommended route).
View attachment 72420

2. The trip up to Old Sacramento is about 50 miles from Brannon Island. The fastest I’ve ever made the run is 2.5 hours (with no stops). There are a few long no wake zones on the route and I usually err on the side of caution when approaching fisherman at anchor. I recommend that everyone fill up before they get to the ramp simply because it’s cheaper than doing so on the water. On paper I can do the round trip without refueling but I always refuel before the return trip, expect to pay at least $1 more per gallon if you refuel on the water.

Once we leave Brannon Island we will head towards the bridge near the entrance of the park, go under it and make a right towards the rio vista bridge. After passing under it we turn right up the Sacramento River slough towards Isleton. From there we follow the slough up to Old Sacramento.

3. Once we get there we can stop at the guest docks and eat lunch / walk Old Sacramento and/or continue on 3 miles or so to Discovery Park (I believe it’s the local boaters’ hang out spot and where events like rage on the river are held) to eat and swim there.
http://oldsacramento.com/get-here/by-boat
View attachment 72423

4. If you want to get back before dark (so you don’t have to boat in the dark) I suggest leaving at 430 at the latest, this assumes sun set is around 730. For those wanting to stay overnight I highly recommend the embassy suites which has direct access to the Old Sacramento guest docks. Not cheap at $200 ish per night but very conveniently located next to the water and Old Sacramento.
https://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/6124394/embassy-suites-sacramento-riverfront-promenade-sacramento-ca/?cid=sem::OTPRC::AW::pT-P01::Hilton-Embassy-Suites::Embassy-Suites-Sacramento-Riverfront-Promenade-Sacramento-CA-US-271325-did-6124394::embassy-suites-old-sacramento::Exact&creative=252696539719&device=t&AdPos=1t1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=embassy-suites-old-sacramento&utm_campaign=Hilton-Embassy-Suites&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_113118799_g_5903514439_w_kwd-3156581833_h_9032047_ii__d_t_v__n_g_c_252696539719_k_embassy suites old sacramento_m_e_l__t__e__r_1t1_vi__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOGep7LG2gIVjMpkCh3XQgWmEAAYASAAEgJIrvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On the return trip I usually take steamboat slough which is before walnut grove just for the change in scenery (there is a private beach that rents out space, a few resorts, residences, a car ferry crossing, etc., things you don’t see on the main slough).

* Alright guys, I think I covered all the bases but please let us know if I missed anything. Finally, I want to start a head count, who is in on this and do you plan to launch from Brannon Island or some other ramp?
6 heads for me. 3 of them are children 12, 9, 6.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
SWEET. Again - thanks for organizing this Ronnie.

This boat is in for June 2nd!

TBD how many people onboard.

Sounds like Brannon Island meet + launch location is a no brainer.

We are going to stay overnight at the Embassy Suites.

Having never boated that way before... are the public docks there the best/most secure place to dock? Fine to just float in - no reservations needed or such?

SOUND OFF other folks who are coming!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@wardial , thanks for confirming at least I know I won’t be alone. Sorry for the long winded response, I’m killing time to avoid some of the commute traffic home.

In regard to the docks, there are actually two sets but the ones I referenced are relatively new and are installed under the capitol street bridge with access via stairs to the crab shack on one end and the embassy suites at the other. Shore power is available and costs an extra $10 per day/night. I think I paid $1.50 per foot the last time I was there in september. If you are staying at the embassy I suggest you talk to someone to reserve a room on the river side on floor 3 or higher, preferably in view of the guest dock and when you check out make sure hey don’t charge you the usual $35 per day for parking a car you didn’t drive there. Their Happy hour is great but it’s hard to tell who is going to be there/when the hotel is going to be busy. Once when we stayed there was a cheerleader convention/event being held there another time is was a 50th anniversary class reunion.

You can reserve dock space if you want to and I recommend you do so, it’s like $10 more to reserve but worth it because anyone can dock there for free during the day, so if you leave to boat for a few hours the spot may not be available when you get back, not true if you have a reservation as they tape off a block of spots. Before i forget the inside spots are better because they are better protected from passing boats’ wakes (the docks are in the middle of a 2 mile no wake zone but I’ve seen maybe 1 person get pulled over in the 6 or 7 times I’ve been there and last year a drunk with a boat wrap took an outside spot only to find the wrap ruined from rubbing against the dock and fender overnight) at the same time the current is strong so you have to be careful but heavy on the throttles when passing between the barge holding up the stairs to the hotel and the docks or you could end up with gel coat damage like I did the last time there. I’ve spoken to the dock hand, usually takes a few days from the first call, and he claims the only time a reservation is absolutely necessary is Labor Day weekend since old sac conducts an old west themed event to end the summer and the place is packed. The problem with reserving that weekend is that reservations are awarded by lottery so you can’t simply reserve a space like you can the other 51 weekends of the year you have to win the lottery first.

Security wise I have never had an issue. They have cameras and a dock hand but the latter isn’t there overnight and every time I’ve gone there Boater’s have tied up to the dock and fished from their boats or slept on them. I still lock everything up and remove any valuables but most of the other Boater’s I’ve seen don’t even have locks on their boat compartments, so they, especially the guys with dedicated fishing boats often just put their gear under a tarp before walking off. I usually dock in view of my hotel room window and go down to the boat at least once before bed and again early the next morning. If you dock under the bridge birds will $hit on your boat so bring a cover/tarp or dock to the side of the bridge if you can.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last edited:

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like I'm in, tentatively speaking.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
About two weeks away now, just confirming that the trip is still on.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just made a reservation at the Embassy Suites right next to the dock! Should be a great run!

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are now having 10 on our boat (5 are kids). See you at 9 am on the 2nd.