• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 GTS187 Died on me

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have 48 hours on her. Never had an issue, then throws a "check engine/service required" code. I had the break-in service at 20, so I wasn't due for anything. It was running fine though so I figured no big deal, probably just an emissions sensor or something. It started fine the few times we stopped and ran great. Then when heading in it would stall out when I'd go over 3k rpm. I limped in but then she died couple hundred feet out and would not restart. Had to get towed to the ramp.

It's still under warranty. Not sure if I need to take it 2 1/2 hours to my Glastron dealer where I purchased or if I can take it 15 minutes away to the Chaparral dealer. They put Rotax in their jet boats and should be able to do BRP warranty work from what I understand. Would make a huge difference if parts are required and need to be ordered.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Call the dealers but i bet the 2 1/2 hour drive. I don't know that glasstron is building the jets anymore either. Shame because they are sharp.

BobbyP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Check the code on the menu cluster. If it doesn’t show then you need to get it read from Candoo software

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Call the dealers but i bet the 2 1/2 hour drive. I don't know that glasstron is building the jets anymore either. Shame because they are sharp.
I called the Chaparral dealer and they said they can do BRP warranty repair. They can only do the motor though, none of the “boat workings”. That’s fine as my issue is all motor. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow morning. 15 minutes away and on the way to work.

Yeah, I am bummed Glastron dumped the jet boat line. I had considered the Chap jet boat, but the beam was too wide to fit in my garage. The H2O would have fit, but they would work with me on a trailer that would. Now I will get to run that in a little as they will now see I was a serious buyer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So the dealer said she had a bad engine harness. They have one coming in from BRP and everything is supposed to be covered under warranty.

Makes sense because it didn’t seem like the engine stopped running, it was more like something turned the motor off.

I wonder what the harness was doing at first that caused the check engine/service required code? It was still running just fine.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I still have never got my boat back. The initial diagnosis was a faulty electrical harness; it was showing continuity across the harness and I guess that's fairly common with BRP electrical harnesses. That got it running, but it apparently still showed a surge. They replaced the electronic control module (ECM) next, yet still the same.

They did a full motor inspection and found some oil around a spark plug boot. They figured, though the chances remote, perhaps their was some oil vapor causing the plug to foul. Changed the spaghetti valve cover gasket to no avail, runs great wide open, but in between it has a slight surge. They do not know what to do and BRP suggests a leak-down test at this point. So the dealer had to order the tool to manually turn the motor to do the complete lead-down test. After getting the tool and doing the test, it showed that cylinder #2 failed with only 38% compression.

Since there wasn't a failure in #1 or #3 cylinders, that ruled out the head gasket. Since there was no oil or fuel in the coolant, that ruled out the piston rings, leaving the valves as the culprit. They weren't sure what exactly the valve problem was, but the problem was with the valves. The SM had them drain the oil, remove and cut open the filter.

Inside the filter, they found small pieces of metal. Not shavings. The Service Manager at that point put in a request to BRP for a new motor. I was finally told this last week. I haven't had my boat for 10 months and I have been livid. I filed a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General's office, but that has not had much effect.

Last week, I started doing hard core research and looking at attorneys. Many would not have waited so long to do so. I found most states have Lemon laws to cover issues like this with vehicles, but these laws do not extend to boats or RV's. However, there is a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975 that does and it stipulates you can also recover attorney's fees and court costs.

Last Fall, I couldn't find an attorney that wanted to get involved with this. Now I have several that want the case and one that has ensured I will owe him nothing should I lost the case. At this point, I am confident I could prevail regardless of whether it is front of an arbitrator, judge or jury. My misfortune has sucked, but eventually you figure if it goes long enough I should be taken care of. Right? I mean I paid almost $40,000 for the boat including extended warranties and accessories.

I've been making monthly payments on a boat I haven't even seen for 10 months. BRP hasn't even approved a new motor and at this point I am not sure I want the boat back. It's like brand new as I babied her keeping the boat in climate-controlled storage except at the lake or on a trip. She still looked exactly like she did when she was delivered when we took her in for repair. Now she's been sitting outside the entire time. Under cover and covered, but outside nonetheless.

I apologize for the super long post. Let me wrap this. I sent an offer last week for the dealer to take my boat and pay off the loan. I owed more than I could have sold it for, but at this point I wasn't worried about that. I mean surely I should be due some sort of compensation. Included in the offer was for me to get a new Yamaha AR195 w/ extended warranty. I would seek no compensation for being w/o a boat for what was going to be a year and I would pay no out of pocket money towards the new Yamaha and my new payment had to be at or less than where I am now. This offer was sent through the Attorney General's office. He fast-tracked it to the dealer.

Yesterday, still not hearing anything, I called the dealer to get an open repair bill/log on my Glastron at the suggestion of an attorney in preparation for a case. When I called the SM, he said I had talked to Mason. I told him I didn't know a Mason, was he with them. He said yeah and that Mason had asked about my Glastron and the condition. He told them it was like new, but it need a new motor from BRP. He said shortly thereafter he received a call from the owner saying they were taking my Glastron back and getting me a new AR195. He said they put my name on one of the first one's they will be getting in from Yamaha. Now I am so very curious when the new one's will start hitting dealers.

The owner also offered a free weekend rental on a new Yamaha 24' jet boat on Lake of the Ozarks. So we will be going down in the next few weeks to take advantage of that offer. I hope to have more info and at least a "hand shake" deal as all I have now is a conversation over the phone.
I don't have anything in writing and will not be satisfied until I have a new boat. I will keep everyone posted! If anyone has any info on warranty claims or strategies in situations like this, please share.

Though we are slightly upside-down on our Glastron loan, I still feel like I should probably get some further compensation. Please share thoughts on this as well. I really want to get this situation behind me and back on a lake on a boat... it is getting HOT!!!! Thanks folks.!!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about this situation. What a horrible experience. For your own sanity and to be able to have a boat this summer it might be best to let this go, but in my mind you are owed a lot more than a boat that works and a free weekend rental.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Darren Scherer I very much appreciate your diligence and clarity of purpose. I hope that you have your new boat soon and can start looking at all this in a review mirror.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Darren Scherer I very much appreciate your diligence and clarity of purpose. I hope that you have your new boat soon and can start looking at all this in a review mirror.
Thank you so much! I will not be ok until I have everything in writing and I know when my new boat will be here. Even better when I actually have a boat I am happy with again!

So it’s has been very hard to maintain a level head and I sure hope I am near a resolution. I appreciate the support!

ma2watsoou

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Wow i hope you soon have a happy ending and get back out on the water.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Wow i hope you soon have a happy ending and get back out on the water.
Thank you!! Weekends are the hardest and I didn’t realize how much harder it would be once it started getting hot. Fact is, I never expected to still be w/o a boat. Hasn’t been easy.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Still waiting for them to call me when a AR195 comes in; however, it sounds like a brand new crate motor came in from BRP along with a new supercharger in the crate. That was supposed to be put in starting Friday the 26th. I have not heard anything, nor have I ever received the open repair bill/log I requested either. That is the primary document my attorney said I would need if we were to pursue legal recourse.

I am getting a sick feeling things are going to go down like this... We get a call they have a new 2021 AR195 for us. Then either (A) they tell us because they cannot sell our 2018 Glastron GTS187 with brand-new super-charged motor for what we owe, we are going to have to put some money down or our payment will be higher on the AR. Or (B) they say that with the AR195 MSRP plus delivery and prep, they need some money down or our payment will be higher. Or (C) both.

My offer was take back the Glastron and get me a new AR195 with NO out of pocket money and a payment no higher than what we are paying on the Glastron. The owner agreed, but I do not have it in writing. So will he take care of his customer or will he try to maximize the profit of the deal. Demand is high and he will know he can sell the AR and the alternative they may try to force on me is my Glastron back with the new motor.

I think I would back out and pursue legal action. That would mean refusing my boat back at this point and seeking full purchase price back plus attorneys fees. This is a "text-book" Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act case. It is hard to imagine not having an arbitor, judge or jury sympathetic after this ridiculous scenario. That way I am out of my Glastron and I would walk away with about $3-$4K. Not very good considering I will have spent over $10K over the two years we've had the boat. I would settle for my Glastron back, but not without new covers, a complete detail and $3-4K for lost lake fees, property taxes, depreciation, other fees and inconvenience for not having the Glastron since August 6, 2019.

Sooner or later I am going to get a call and should I encounter something like this, I like to be as prepared as possible. Let me know what you folks think. Thank you so much!!

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am very sorry to be reading this and am very sympathetic. If at some point salvaging your boating season takes precedence then, I would consider accepting your boat back with the new engine etc... and try to get as much out of them as possible. I don't think there are any boats at any dealerships to be found this time of year.
For the most part, all incoming boats have already been pre-ordered and are waiting to be delivered to their owners. Maybe a new engine is something of a silver lining. No real way to make good out of a bad scenario. Legal action still may not yield the desired result as the dealer has attorneys too. Sucks but their obligation is to make you whole and not much else unfortunately...

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah, it gets much stickier if attorney’s get involved. I have avoided that. However, now that it’s been over 11 months, I have several attorney’s that want to take my case. One had promised I wouldn’t have to pay if we lose and there’s precedent to ask for attorney’s fees. He said it would ultimately fall on the manufacturer; in this case Bombardier Rec Products (BRP).

Now that it is July with no resolution in sight, I have written this season off. There is no priority to be on the lake this season. What’s more important now is that we get as close to a fair deal as possible. I made the deal with the dealer, and I have been told my name is on the “first ‘21 AR195 that comes in”. The question will be whether the dealer holds true to that offer. I am hoping he will.

With short supply though, who knows. And they may actually have a motor in my boat and actually have it running by then. If they try to play hard-ball and say if you don’t come up with some more money, you are left with your boat back, then I ask for the open repair order for my boat immediately.

I will then seek to have the attorney file for return and full refund of purchase price. At this point, it’s not about getting on the lake. We spent $40,000 two years ago and I haven’t even seen my boat for almost a year (including the better parts of two complete seasons). No way I take a depreciated boat that’s been sitting outside for a year back without some kind of compensation.

I’m not sure what experiences people have had with dealers. Hopefully mine will have a positive ending. I will keep everyone posted. Either you will see new pictures of an AR, updated pictures of my boat with a story on how that went down or an update on a legal case that will likely start in arbitration. Yes, BRP and Glastron have attorney’s (I’m sure the dealer does too), but it costs them just like it costs the consumer. The attorney says 99%+ of cases get settled. Precedent says 30 days is the standard for reasonable turnaround. We’ve had 5 attempts at repair over 11 months.

BRP hasn’t been very responsive over these 11 months; however, it has been my experience with Glastron that has been so horrible. Mike at Glastron has been extremely unprofessional. He’s tried saying we added to the repair cycle by taking the boat to the local Rotax service shop. He implied they were a Sea-Doo dealer and not capable of working on Rotax engines in boats. In fact, they do not sell any jet skies, but they are a Chaparrel dealer. They sold and serviced the Vortex line of boats featuring Rotax power. Those boats have the EXACT SAME motor as my Glastron. He’s never replied, addressed or acknowledged this. He has always been rude, unprofessional and has shown no contrition whatsoever. It’s the worst customer service I have ever encountered and I am shocked a person who communicates like that can hold such a high position.

This is why I would like to get into a Yamaha jet boat instead or get out of the Glastron, cut our losses and move on.

Last edited:

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah, it gets much stickier if attorney’s get involved. I have avoided that. However, now that it’s been over 11 months, I have several attorney’s that want to take my case. One had promised I wouldn’t have to pay if we lose and there’s precedent to ask for attorney’s fees. He said it would ultimately fall on the manufacturer; in this case Bombardier Rec Products (BRP).

Now that it is July with no resolution in sight, I have written this season off. There is no priority to be on the lake this season. What’s more important now is that we get as close to a fair deal as possible. I made the deal with the dealer, and I have been told my name is on the “first ‘21 AR195 that comes in”. The question will be whether the dealer holds true to that offer. I am hoping he will.

With short supply though, who knows. And they may actually have a motor in my boat and actually have it running by then. If they try to play hard-ball and say if you don’t come up with some more money, you are left with your boat back, then I ask for the open repair order for my boat immediately.

I will then seek to have the attorney file for return and full refund of purchase price. At this point, it’s not about getting on the lake. We spent $40,000 two years ago and I haven’t even seen my boat for almost a year (including the better parts of two complete seasons). No way I take a depreciated boat that’s been sitting outside for a year back without some kind of compensation.

I’m not sure what experiences people have had with dealers. Hopefully mine will have a positive ending. I will keep everyone posted. Either you will see new pictures of an AR, updated pictures of my boat with a story on how that went down or an update on a legal case that will likely start in arbitration. Yes, BRP and Glastron have attorney’s (I’m sure the dealer does too), but it costs them just like it costs the consumer. The attorney says 99%+ of cases get settled. Precedent says 30 days is the standard for reasonable turnaround. We’ve had 5 attempts at repair over 11 months.

BRP hasn’t been very responsive over these 11 months; however, it has been my experience with Glastron that has been so horrible. Mike at Glastron has been extremely unprofessional. He’s tried saying we added to the repair cycle by taking the boat to the local Rotax service shop. He implied they were a Sea-Doo dealer and not capable of working on Rotax engines in boats. In fact, they do not sell any jet skies, but they are a Chaparrel dealer. They sold and serviced the Vortex line of boats featuring Rotax power. Those boats have the EXACT SAME motor as my Glastron. He’s never replied, addressed or acknowledged this. He has always been rude, unprofessional and has shown no contrition whatsoever. It’s the worst customer service I have ever encountered and I am shocked a person who communicates like that can hold such a high position.

This is why I would like to get into a Yamaha jet boat instead or get out of the Glastron, cut our losses and move on.
This is such a remarkable story, I really do hope that it turns out well for you in the end!

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is such a remarkable story, I really do hope that it turns out well for you in the end!
Thank you so much for the well wishes! Truly appreciate it! It is remarkable. I’m in outside sales paid on full commission, much like an independent contractor except with benefits. Crazy how I routinely go the extra mile for customers; yet, when I am the customer I so often get such horrible customer service.

It’s sad, if it were a car, for half the price or less, this would have already have been dealt with. There are laws in place though and I can get them to pay my attorney’s fees too. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to that!

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thank you so much for the well wishes! Truly appreciate it! It is remarkable. I’m in outside sales paid on full commission, much like an independent contractor except with benefits. Crazy how I routinely go the extra mile for customers; yet, when I am the customer I so often get such horrible customer service.

It’s sad, if it were a car, for half the price or less, this would have already have been dealt with. There are laws in place though and I can get them to pay my attorney’s fees too. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to that!
Funny I am in outside sales as well, and there are some businesses that I will never shop at because of how I have been treated as a customer and a salesman for that matter.

The dealership I bought my boat it I was really impressed with right up to the point they got my deposit and then the wheels fell off, so close to a customer for life, now not so much.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Funny I am in outside sales as well, and there are some businesses that I will never shop at because of how I have been treated as a customer and a salesman for that matter.

The dealership I bought my boat it I was really impressed with right up to the point they got my deposit and then the wheels fell off, so close to a customer for life, now not so much.
I know what you mean. I was a bit disappointed with my dealer, but they’ve stepped up and if all goes down well with the AR, they could redeem themselves big time! Good luck, my friend!

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Urgent Request. I need contact info for BRP - US. Can someone please share with me address and phone number for BRP?