• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Scarab 215 io - help?

carrie mcclure

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We're looking into buying a 2018 Scarab 215 io with twin 250's but after reading some of the issues I'm now concerned. Can anyone offer advise as what to look for before we order one? Has anyone purchased one in the past year and not have any issues? Old issues resolved? Better warranty response now? We can't even test drive one because the closest (stocked) dealership is 4 hours away (Kenner LA) but there is a Scarab dealership close to us but he doesn't' stock any jet boats (only OB center consuls). We LOVE the look of the 215 and how fast it can fly with the twin 250's and my husband doesn't want anything less the 500hp and this is the only jet boat to offer 500hp so ANY advise anyone can give me would be appreciated as we are looking to talk to Captian's Choice next weekend... we currently have a Rinker 226 I/O with a merc 350 but we are exhausted with the maintenance issues and always breaking down so we want to trade it in but I don't want another problem child!!! HELP???

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ScarabMike Can you help out?
@carrie mcclure I suggest you read through the Scarab threads. I don't have any personal experience but it would appear to me the Yamahas will be more reliable. We are here to help.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the Scarabs, and the newer ones are far better than the 2014's that most have issues with (first year and all)

BUT. Is your local dealer willing to work on it if you buy it 4 hours away? It will most surely need some warranty work at some point, and I doubt you wanna be dragging it 4 hrs each way to accomplish such. Some members have had extensive warranty repairs on their scarabs, you'll want a good local dealer.

Also - don't forget that Chaparral also offers a 500hp jet boat if that is your main goal here, which seems to have a better track record.

For the record, after your current boat, any modern jet offering is going to feel like a rocket. I'd at least try to sea trial a Yamaha, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BUT. Is your local dealer willing to work on it if you buy it 4 hours away? It will most surely need some warranty work at some point, and I doubt you wanna be dragging it 4 hrs each way to accomplish such. Some members have had extensive warranty repairs on their scarabs, you'll want a good local dealer.
I think this would be the killer on this for me. If your local Scarab dealer doesn't sell jet boats they likely will not be able to take care of warranty work for and I would bet they likely may not be willing to work on the boat at all which means anytime you have an issue its a 8 hour round trip to drop it off and another 8 hour round trip a few weeks later to pick it up. Also I understand wanting the 500 hp but if reliability is one of your highest factors that is the wrong path as it doesn't matter which brand it is the the supercharged engines are not as reliable as the non supercharged. Just more working parts that can fail is all.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No matter what you look at you are going to get a biased (somewhat) opinion on here. The most important thing for me would be to buy from a local dealer who is good with service and warranty stuff. Getting from a dealer 4 hours away would be a deal breaker for me. I didn't even look at scarab at the time because the closest dealer was 2 1/2 hours away.

carrie mcclure

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks y’all! I do have a guy I completely trust (named Jet Ski Jesus lol) who is also a friend who I know would work on it if needed, but yeah, warranty work would be the issue. There is a closer dealer in FWB that another member on here said would do the warranty work, but he doesn’t have any scarabs on his lot though he’s a dealer?? Do y’all think Scarab is in the jet boat business for the long haul? We looked at the yamis ( I have jet skis from them I LOVE) and the chaparelles but we REALLY like the look and extras of the scarabs. We bought a Polaris years ago and then they went out of business (for skis) and I really don’t want to go thru that again...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are still coming out with new models the just released the 255 open so I would say at this time they don't have any plans of getting out of the jet game.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When comparing the 2 brands make sure you compare the same items. When we were looking a lot of the items that were standard on the Yamaha cost extra on the scarabs and chaps. They may have changed in a couple years but it ended up with almost a 10k difference in price. I did like the fit and fins I of the chaps and the 500hp option but I know Yamaha reliability and those 250 supercharged engines and very thirsty $$$$$$

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We're looking into buying a 2018 Scarab 215 io with twin 250's but after reading some of the issues I'm now concerned. Can anyone offer advise as what to look for before we order one? Has anyone purchased one in the past year and not have any issues? Old issues resolved? Better warranty response now? We can't even test drive one because the closest (stocked) dealership is 4 hours away (Kenner LA) but there is a Scarab dealership close to us but he doesn't' stock any jet boats (only OB center consuls). We LOVE the look of the 215 and how fast it can fly with the twin 250's and my husband doesn't want anything less the 500hp and this is the only jet boat to offer 500hp so ANY advise anyone can give me would be appreciated as we are looking to talk to Captian's Choice next weekend... we currently have a Rinker 226 I/O with a merc 350 but we are exhausted with the maintenance issues and always breaking down so we want to trade it in but I don't want another problem child!!! HELP???
Hi Carrie, we purchased our 2018 255 Wake Edition and love it. We bought it in September, took it out the remainder of that month and most of October with no issues. We did our own research and asked many questions locally, but ended up driving from Dallas to New Orleans to purchase our boat due to their experience and knowledge. We ran into some dealers here in Dallas who didn't care much for selling. My main concern was maintenance, however with recent changes to how other power sports dealers being trained to maintain Scarab engines, we received great news our local dealer where we purchased our SeaDoo are now trained and looking forward to maintenance our new boat.

Anyways, we love ours and so far no issues. Good luck!