• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 SX 190 YAMAHA and STA-BIL fuel stabilizer

rfg1022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2018 Yamaha SX 190, its garaged and getting diffrent stories when storing it for winter etc, I live in California. Do I need to start it up every month and run water through the engine or can I use this STA-BIL stabilizer and run that through and just keep the battery charged until summer comes around again and get the boat out again please advise?

rfg1022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Burp the water out, add sta-bil, cover it, put the batteries on a trickle charge. Done.
When you say burp the water out you saying just rev the engine a couple times after flush? And how long should the battery be on a trickle charge? And it won't hurt the engine sitting a couple of months without starting it etc?

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From someone who stores a lot of small engines over winter and summer. Winterize if you live somewhere it freezes, this mean getting the water out of whatever you are storing. I only run non-oxy gas (no ethanol) in everything but my daily driver. Throw some stabil or whatever you favorite thing for gas is in and run the engine to circulate it.. I fog my engines with fogging oil to prevent internal rust, but also give them some lube when you first fire them up after sitting. Change oil/spark plugs before putting away. Put it away until you want to use again. If you do only one thing off that list, run non-oxy gas. Since I converted to that I have had zero fuel related issues.

rfg1022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From someone who stores a lot of small engines over winter and summer. Winterize if you live somewhere it freezes, this mean getting the water out of whatever you are storing. I only run non-oxy gas (no ethanol) in everything but my daily driver. Throw some stabil or whatever you favorite thing for gas is in and run the engine to circulate it.. I fog my engines with fogging oil to prevent internal rust, but also give them some lube when you first fire them up after sitting. Change oil/spark plugs before putting away. Put it away until you want to use again. If you do only one thing off that list, run non-oxy gas. Since I converted to that I have had zero fuel related issues.
Do I need fogging oil to if I live in California? Or will just stabilizer work? The boat is only stored from Nov - March etc? It's also stored in the garage too.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do I need fogging oil to if I live in California? Or will just stabilizer work? The boat is only stored from Nov - March etc? It's also stored in the garage too.
You can - it's a good for your peace of mind. Honestly, changing oil / plugs in the spring is going to be your biggest projects with these boats. Oh and don't forget to keep the clean-out plugs lubed. :)

rfg1022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can - it's a good for your peace of mind. Honestly, changing oil / plugs in the spring is going to be your biggest projects with these boats. Oh and don't forget to keep the clean-out plugs lubed. :)
Where do you inject this fog oil? Is it after I dump the stabilizer in and run it through etc?

rfg1022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And how long do you trickle charge the battery?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Pull plugs and spray into cylinder. Trickle charge 24/7.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like mentioned, I pull a plug, spray it into the cylinder, put a new plug back in and move on to the next. Part of the yearly shutdown. Buy yourself a trickle charger and hook it up to your battery and unhook it in the spring.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do you live in a humid part of California (like near the ocean) or a colder place (like Big Bear)?
If the answer to both is no, I would not fog the engine. Mine is on a charger year ’round and I always use no ethanol gas with Star Tron mixed in. I choose not to fog the engines but many around me do. This how I have kept outboards for years. No problems so far.🙂

rfg1022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you live in a humid part of California (like near the ocean) or a colder place (like Big Bear)?
If the answer to both is no, I would not fog the engine. Mine is on a charger year ’round and I always use no ethanol gas with Star Tron mixed in. I choose not to fog the engines but many around me do. This how I have kept outboards for years. No problems so far.🙂
I live in southern california SanBernardino Co not in big bear, I use the stabilizer yesterday in the gas. Flushed fro about 10 mins. Do I need to constantly flush every 2 mo or so or once I add the stabilizer and flushed that it should be good?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use this works like a charm:
1593811426748.png

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What are you all using to trickle charge 24/7?
I use one of these, I have it mounted on my garage wall right behind where I pull the boat in. Plug em in when I get home and leave them on there until the next outing. I don't really have any reason to have an onboard charger the way I use the boat. I have had this one for about 3 years, used to use it on my 2 jetskis. Has worked like a charm, just put the quick connects on your battery terminals and leave them there, plug in when u get home. I did buy a 25' extension cord for each bank since the ones they come with are rather short.

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use one of these, I have it mounted on my garage wall right behind where I pull the boat in. Plug em in when I get home and leave them on there until the next outing. I don't really have any reason to have an onboard charger the way I use the boat. I have had this one for about 3 years, used to use it on my 2 jetskis. Has worked like a charm, just put the quick connects on your battery terminals and leave them there, plug in when u get home. I did buy a 25' extension cord for each bank since the ones they come with are rather short.
I have a similar setup for the boat, two skis. And two motorcycles.
20190720_201442.jpg

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies on the trickle charge.

My hangup will be when in storage, I dont have a way to supply power to the trickle charger as the ones posted ITT seem to require power. How do people manage to get by who store outdoors at a lot?

dyfanf

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies on the trickle charge.

My hangup will be when in storage, I dont have a way to supply power to the trickle charger as the ones posted ITT seem to require power. How do people manage to get by who store outdoors at a lot?
Long-term storage, pull the battery and take it home to charge.