• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 sx210 Review

Ryan Meyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a new member and I wanted to say thanks for all the information that's available on this forum, it's been invaluable to say the least.
A little background...I've been boating pretty much since I was born and running boats since I was twelve so I have a fair amount of experience (30 + years). From 14 foot tillers to I/O's with the last boat being a 17.5 ft Lund Fisherman with a 150 Verado (supercharged 4 stroke outboard). The Lund was a fish-n-ski layout but we haven't really fished the last few years so we decided to look for a boat that fit our current boating lifestyle. With that being said, after a fair amount of research I decided to pursue a jet boat. We boat on Lake Winnebago which is a large (139,000 acres) shallow (max depth 21 feet) fresh water lake and wanted something that could handle the rough water and provide a fun platform for anchoring on sandbars and water sports.
Luckily there is a Yamaha dealer 10 minutes from where we keep the boat so we setup a test drive on a SX195 which was what we were possibly planning to purchase. We had 8 people on board for the test drive which went well, but we quickly determined that a bigger boat would be a better choice. It wasn't so much the space or power but the 19 footer's bow rides so low when off plane that I can almost guaranty we'd be taking water over the bow on a regular basis. So, we decided to go with the SX210 (got the updated bow roller, anchor, bow cover and 3 year warranty included).
Having had the boat for about 2 weeks and 11 hours of usage I can say overall I'm very satisfied. After reading all the information on this site I was a little concerned by some of the thoughts on the boats performance but overall I can say it's pretty good. With only 5 months of boating season paying an additional $10K just didn't make sense for a 212 and the 240 was just too big. I knew the top speed wasn't going to be there (our Lund would do 54 with a light load and hit 50 with 6 people on board) but what really surprised me was the low end torque and mid range performance of the TR1 engines. This weekend we never had less than 8 people in the boat and that included at least 5 adults and several times wed had total of 10. The boat is very quick to plane and can cruise all day at 30MPH. With a full load (11 people) my top speed was around 37, with a light load I was able to hit about 44. Pulling tubes was no problem even with a full load of people. Our previous boat in a 1.5 foot chop would rattle your teeth and you had to constantly work the throttle to smooth out the ride but in the Yamaha I could set the cruise at 27 to 30 and it would literally glide over the chop. It was a truly night and day difference. I would love the boat to be faster but I can honestly say that it's exceeded my expectations. Also, I don't know if it's just me but I thought maneuvering the boat was easier than our outboard. It actually tracks straighter than the Lund did at no wake speeds and I found it easier to pull up to the dock and put into the lift as well. You do have to use more throttle but once you get a feel for leveraging the thrust It was pretty easy. I just completed the 10 hour maintenance on my own which took a littler longer than expected but that was just me being over cautious. So far everyone is loving the new Yamaha boat!

Cheers!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good review. I think the performance issues are just HP angst. People don't buy V6 pickups even though they can probably handle anything the average joe is going to need. Yamaha speeds have been trending down. I am assuming emission standards and hull designs come into play, but the 1.8s aren't going to get you to 56mph like the engines of old. You get a 212 with twin 1.8s and you are looking at low 50s and you have to ask yourself if that's worth the price jump over 44-45 mph because it's huge.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so are you prepping for Bimini 2019 ?

Ryan Meyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so are you prepping for Bimini 2019 ?
I've read about it, would be a fun trip for sure. I don't think my 2007 Tacoma would be up to towing the boat that long of a diatance but maybe someday.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice review! Glad to hear your new boat is treating you well!