• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha Limited S E Audio upgrade

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello All,

I am about to do some upgrades on or boat and was wondering if anyone here has the Rockford Fosgate Punch Marine set up? What do you think of it? Positives and Negatives.
I am leaning toward the Wakesound set up like the one jcyamaharider recently did on his boat
The shop where I will be taking my boat is highly recommending the Rockford but said he will install whatever I want. Made me curious though so I thought I’d ask. I did check it out and the
Price is comparable to the Wetsound.
I’m hopping that Wetsound, JLAudio, and Rockford will be at the LA Boat show next week to see all for myself but I thought I’d ask. I know that I won’t be able to get the full affect at the boat show because there is so much going on there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't see many people putting Rockford equipment on their boats....JL and Wetsounds are the top choices I see here. That isn't to say Rockford is bad...I know nothing about their stuff....just do know I'm happy with both JL and Wetsounds.

Plenty of good reviews of them on Amazon...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@1948Isaac has a rockford set up he had replaced the four factory speakers had two tower speakers and two 10 inch subs. It sounded pretty good I thought any way.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If price is comparable, nothing compares to Wetsounds/JL as far as I'm concerned. At substantial savings *and* tremendous local dealer support, I'd go with Rockford. Personally, I like the Wetsounds coax speakers, JL subs, and could go either way on amps, with maybe a slight preference for JL. Rockford makes good stuff for certain, but not at the same price point.

IMHO, YMMV, etc....

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, I too am leaning with all the great stuff that I have heard about Wetsound and JL.
I must say that I am curious why he is highly recommending Rockford being that he does carry all 3 of the products and some.
Maybe he is getting a kickback.......

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If he's selling them at similar price points, I'd venture to guess he's got a much higher profit margin on the Rockford stuff.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lion he might also want to push something beyond the usual....I had another guy who did the system in my old 242LS and he raved about Rockford, specifically their newer stuff...said it was on par with the other brands, and I do take his word, but they're not the much cheaper if I recall, so I ended up running JL Audio throughout and couldn't be happier...clean, loud, clear.

I'll be at the LA boat show tomorrow as well, been going for the last 7 years....I don't recall seeing JL or Rockford there, but if they come would be great to hear their stuff in person.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have the punch but I do have the prime, m400-4d and it has held up great this past season pushing a set of Wet sounds icon 8 tower speakers. I have them bridged and the gain set at 3/4 and it doesn't get hot, just warm. Now my 6 in boat wet sounds xs650's are running on a wet sounds htx-6 and that has been doing well also.
20170827_170442.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Gain at 3/4? 99% chance you are clipping it.... which says good things about the equipment lol

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gain at 3/4? 99% chance you are clipping it.... which says good things about the equipment lol
Should have said my volume is at 3/4. The bridged tower speakers on the Rockford amp has the gain set to 3 pushing 200 rms and the htx-6 has the gain around 6 pushing out 100 rms per channel.

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lion he might also want to push something beyond the usual....I had another guy who did the system in my old 242LS and he raved about Rockford, specifically their newer stuff...said it was on par with the other brands, and I do take his word, but they're not the much cheaper if I recall, so I ended up running JL Audio throughout and couldn't be happier...clean, loud, clear.

I'll be at the LA boat show tomorrow as well, been going for the last 7 years....I don't recall seeing JL or Rockford there, but if they come would be great to hear their stuff in person.

Hey Jaylex,

So you are correct about them not being at the
boat show. I was there Thursday opening day and the only system I was able to check out was
WETSOUND. They only had a few speakers there but I was able to hear it and ask questions.
Other than that, I was able to only see JL speakers that were mounted on boats which I was unable to turn on to get a sound check, and only saw maybe 2 Rockford tower set ups. Also unable to turn on.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lion I didn't see any vendors selling audio, but a majority of the boats with towers had JL and none of them were playing which defeats the purpose of a boat show, lol....I did see some Wetsounds, and a few others sprinkled throughout.

Did you decide on your final equipment, figured hearing it first hand would have been best, but I bought mostly off reputation and so far not disappointed so I think either way it'll come out solid based on what your already leaning towards.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lion I didn't see any vendors selling audio, but a majority of the boats with towers had JL and none of them were playing which defeats the purpose of a boat show, lol....I did see some Wetsounds, and a few others sprinkled throughout.

Did you decide on your final equipment, figured hearing it first hand would have been best, but I bought mostly off reputation and so far not disappointed so I think either way it'll come out solid based on what your already leaning towards.

Good luck, keep us posted!

So I’m ruling out the Fosgate and will be going with either Wetsound or JL.
Like you, also going by reputation.
I’m sure the Fosgate sounds good, not knocking them, but I think for what I’m looking for and what I see other boaters adding to their boats, that says a lot about the product.
I will definitely keep you all posted. Picking up the boat from storage in Feb. sometime. Have a few addon’s that I will be doing.
Will be installing trailer guides, Cobra Jet Steering, extending the Bimini,
Adding battery tender, (still wondering if I should add a third Battery, and the biggest and most expensive project , upgrading the sound system, and adding more speakers.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I ended up going with JL speakers and probably Kicker amps. I will let you know how I like it once I get them in.

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I ended up going with JL speakers and probably Kicker amps. I will let you know how I like it once I get them in.
That’s awesome, yes please keep us updated. Which model did you get for the speakers? Also let us know how and where you mounted the amps.
Thanx

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
MX650-CCX-SG-WLD-B is the model I went with. I wanted LEDs to light up the boat, so I paid a little more to have them built into the speaker. Amps will be going inside the helm storage area.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All,

I am about to do some upgrades on or boat and was wondering if anyone here has the Rockford Fosgate Punch Marine set up? What do you think of it? Positives and Negatives.
I am leaning toward the Wakesound set up like the one jcyamaharider recently did on his boat
The shop where I will be taking my boat is highly recommending the Rockford but said he will install whatever I want. Made me curious though so I thought I’d ask. I did check it out and the
Price is comparable to the Wetsound.
I’m hopping that Wetsound, JLAudio, and Rockford will be at the LA Boat show next week to see all for myself but I thought I’d ask. I know that I won’t be able to get the full affect at the boat show because there is so much going on there.
I have two Rockford Fosgate Punch P3s for sale right now. They hit hard. And to be honest with the right power, they compete with some of the top of the line subs out there. As always the trick is the enclosure. I had 2 of these under the bench seat behind the driver. Don't ask me how but now I have found a way to add (2) 15 inch subs under there. I cannot wait to hear them lol.
But if you went with the punch line, you will be fine. They hit really really hard. I recommend those over 95% of 12 inch subs on the market today. :)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wetsounds make great speakers and are the best in the game at those. But for Subs stay away from them. Way overpriced for their performance.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really digging these new Polk M1. The color scheme fits my boat nicely. And they are crazy loud. I have 150 watts going to each speaker.

Attachments