• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 212X Top Speed Issue

langstonkw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We just purchased a 2019 212x at the beginning of the summer, replacing and older 2009 212x. Great overall upgrade, every aspect of the boat has been improved except top speed. I had assumed with newer motors we would see better low end performance and quicker to top speed performance. The good news is that out of the hole it does feel much quicker, the same when you gun it at 10 or 15 MPH. Where the problem pops up is cruising along at 25 to 30 MPH and going WOT. Not a lot of punch and it takes longer than expected to get to 40, and I have yet to get over 45.

I will be calling the dealer on Monday, but was hoping that you geniuses in the forum may have some advice.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out your bucket adjustments mine were slightly obstructing the nozzles when in full forward and after adjustment gained a lot more speed

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I regularly get 49mph on my 2019 212 Limited S.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've hit over 50 on mine. Check the throttle adjustments and buckets.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
These boats are a bit sensitive to weight as far as top speed. How many people on your boat at 45 mph? With 4 adults, my 2018 212X generally see about 46. With 3, about 47-48. With two, 48-49, with me alone and some of our usual gear removed, 51.

Also, the location of the weight plays a role. Weight/people on the bow doesn't help top speed numbers.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ditch the SurfPonit. With the nozzles pointing to the center they rob you of thrust at WOT. If you do keep it make sure they are aligned properly. When I set mine straight we went from 43mph to 48mph and had 50mph a few time. O and MPG is better. This is more about it. It does have info on the Cobra fins but the info on ditching the SP is the key. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-fins-on-our-18-242x-and-new-top-speed.22744/

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
O the dealer said the nozzles were fine. I said my top speed was not even close to specs. They gave me the whole ( well many things can effect top speed). I tried 1,2,3,4 people different fuel levels. But that was not it. When I finally check, they were way out from what they should have been. I ran in to a Midwest Yamaha rep and a Yamaha jet boat outing. He said he hears the issue with SP all the time. He made it sound like the just eyeball it no jig or anything to check it is done correctly.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Any time you mess with the thrust alignment on twin engine jet boats aiming them inward against each other you risk loss of handling , top speed and fuel economy.

langstonkw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ditch the SurfPonit. With the nozzles pointing to the center they rob you of thrust at WOT. If you do keep it make sure they are aligned properly. When I set mine straight we went from 43mph to 48mph and had 50mph a few time. O and MPG is better. This is more about it. It does have info on the Cobra fins but the info on ditching the SP is the key. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-fins-on-our-18-242x-and-new-top-speed.22744/
Thank you for the feedback. The surf pointe seems to be more gimmick from what I can tell. Is there any risk to the quality of the wave for Wake Surfing by eliminating the Surfpointe? I have seen a few comments from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC regarding pointing jets at each other is not such a good idea.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The big issue is that any device for wake surfing on a jet boat should never stay in use when not wake surfing.
As for wake making there are several devices available to make your wake , that can be removed when you are not using them so you are not compromising the boats handling , fuel consumption and top speed all the time you are using the boat . Water ballast bags can be used to make a wake with nothing else added. You can also add to that a wake shaper device that can be removed when you are not wake surfing. remember the propeller boats have a SCREW drive that PULLS the boat forward and a jet boat has propulsion that PUSHES the boat forward so messing with the propulsion can only reduce the effectiveness .

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Surf Point does influence the wave for surfing. It is not a game changer or the cure for the perfect wake as I felt Yamaha promoted but it can't be dismissed entirely. It is easy to adjust your nozzles so if you are not doing a lot of surfing just straighten them out. If you are surfing I have found that slightly more toe in on the starboard jet helps the wave the most.

langstonkw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Surf Point does influence the wave for surfing. It is not a game changer or the cure for the perfect wake as I felt Yamaha promoted but it can't be dismissed entirely. It is easy to adjust your nozzles so if you are not doing a lot of surfing just straighten them out. If you are surfing I have found that slightly more toe in on the starboard jet helps the wave the most.
It sounds like I need to take a few minutes and get comfortable with adjusting the nozzles.

Tank you to everyone for the response(s) they have been very insightful. I will be back at the lake this weekend and will take a look at the buckets and the nozzles. Hopefully it is just a tuning exercise to get things where I prefer

NJ-JetGuy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve also seen 50 mph on our 212 Limited S with 4 adults onboard. Had 7 on the boat the other day and 46-47 was easy to achieve. Where were you boating? Sometimes headwinds seem to effect the speed.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Kinda late to this thread but some info anyway... our bone stock 2019 212x with 1/2 tank of gas and 2 adults on glassy water finally hit 49. I wager it will easily bump over 50 if I align the nozzles.
Coming from bass boats, I had little expectation for speed. However the hole shot is awesome.😎

Revo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Took our 2019 212X for its maiden voyage a couple weeks ago. After break in, I managed 46mph with 5 adults onboard and 3/4 of a tank of gas. Not too shabby. I have the 4 star California boat, which supposedly makes slightly less power.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like I need to take a few minutes and get comfortable with adjusting the nozzles.

Tank you to everyone for the response(s) they have been very insightful. I will be back at the lake this weekend and will take a look at the buckets and the nozzles. Hopefully it is just a tuning exercise to get things where I prefer
Curious for an update.

Did you ever adjust your nozzles and see a improvement?

Are you boating at a higher elevation?

I'm at 4,500' elevation and 45 is my top speed in my bigger/heavier AR240. That is after the ribbon delete, no surf point (tried it, not with it), and swapping impellers to a pair of elevation pitched OEM (6CW) impellers from the 190 models.

The impellers made the biggest improvement of anything. Improved home shot, significantly better mid range acceleration, WAY better cornering, and higher top speed, engines also reaching closer to max RPM.

Anyone suffering from speed loss should 1) check their throttle adjustment at the Accelerator Position Sensor or throttle body on older models and make sure they're hitting the stops when levers are at full throttle 2) check plugs and gaps 3) check air filters for any oil saturation (sign of overfilling) 4) check nozzle alignment and reverse bucket adjustment.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious for an update.

Did you ever adjust your nozzles and see a improvement?

Are you boating at a higher elevation?

I'm at 4,500' elevation and 45 is my top speed in my bigger/heavier AR240. That is after the ribbon delete, no surf point (tried it, not with it), and swapping impellers to a pair of elevation pitched OEM (6CW) impellers from the 190 models.

The impellers made the biggest improvement of anything. Improved home shot, significantly better mid range acceleration, WAY better cornering, and higher top speed, engines also reaching closer to max RPM.

Anyone suffering from speed loss should 1) check their throttle adjustment at the Accelerator Position Sensor or throttle body on older models and make sure they're hitting the stops when levers are at full throttle 2) check plugs and gaps 3) check air filters for any oil saturation (sign of overfilling) 4) check nozzle alignment and reverse bucket adjustment.
I am in Salt Lake as well. Have you ever been on or know anyone at our elevation with an AR/SX 210? I currently have an AR190 and wondering if the 210 would have more power than what I have currently at our elevation?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in Salt Lake as well. Have you ever been on or know anyone at our elevation with an AR/SX 210? I currently have an AR190 and wondering if the 210 would have more power than what I have currently at our elevation?
Hi @chrisinslc, how's the inversion treating you? Lol! It's thicker every day in Utah County...

I don't know anyone personally with a 210 in our region. But I'm going to overthink this and over explain anyway... lol! Here's what my jet boat theory tells me. I'm guessing that you'd likely see some improvement with the 210 in certain areas of performance. Comparing the specs, as you're aware the 190 has the single 1.8L engine which turns about 180 HP and weighs ~2400lbs. Whereas the 210 has the twin TR-1 engines, rated at 110 HP each (220 HP combined) and weighs ~3200lbs. Both run the 155mm jet.

Doing math, the 190 actually has the better power to weight ratio. Although, I'm a bit doubtful that translates to better performance against 2 jets, even if they are operating at less horsepower... I'm guessing you'd see a better hole shot, better pulling power and probably not much or any improvement in top speed. If you're planning to be doing any surfing with a Yamaha at our altitude then I would definitely recommend the 212.

I have wondered if the 21 ft models would yield the same benefits I've seen by swapping to the impellers off the 190's...? They would be compatible.

Anyway, that's my over answer...

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember on average the COBRA VIPER steering system is reported to get your 19 foot boat on plane 500 r p m's faster and stay on plane 500 r p m, slower that the stock boat plus you get better steering at all speeds with or without a rudder . The Viper AK-19 plus For the 2019 and newer model nozzles will be available soon and it will also be compatible with the top fangs .

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @chrisinslc, how's the inversion treating you? Lol! It's thicker every day in Utah County...

I don't know anyone personally with a 210 in our region. But I'm going to overthink this and over explain anyway... lol! Here's what my jet boat theory tells me. I'm guessing that you'd likely see some improvement with the 210 in certain areas of performance. Comparing the specs, as you're aware the 190 has the single 1.8L engine which turns about 180 HP and weighs ~2400lbs. Whereas the 210 has the twin TR-1 engines, rated at 110 HP each (220 HP combined) and weighs ~3200lbs. Both run the 155mm jet.

Doing math, the 190 actually has the better power to weight ratio. Although, I'm a bit doubtful that translates to better performance against 2 jets, even if they are operating at less horsepower... I'm guessing you'd see a better hole shot, better pulling power and probably not much or any improvement in top speed. If you're planning to be doing any surfing with a Yamaha at our altitude then I would definitely recommend the 212.

I have wondered if the 21 ft models would yield the same benefits I've seen by swapping to the impellers off the 190's...? They would be compatible.

Anyway, that's my over answer...
I am thinking exactly on your lines. I would just like to know absolutely for sure. If I was to upgrade I don't want to make another mistake.