• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 SE Stock Stereo RA70N and HTX6 Configuration Details

Maxdog21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I have put together based on my 2019 242 SE Stereo wiring. Thanks to @jacoviii and many others for the all of the information and time to get me to this point. I realize this is an older model and those that have it probably already upgraded but if there is one more person out there like me that is late to the party this will help tremendously.
  • RA70N with Z1, Z2 and sub (all low level line outs) without RCA. Instead it has direct wire connection to the HTX6 DSP (Yamaha version cannot be tuned)
  • HTX6 in
    • Z1 -> CH1 and CH2
    • Z2 -> CH3 and CH4
    • Sub -> CH5 (uses what would be the orange right channel RCA in from the RA70 which is the black/red pair on the OEM sub line in) and CH6 (unused)
  • HTX6 out
    • CH1 -> front and rear left in parallel (2 Ohm @150w)
    • CH2 -> front and rear right in parallel (2 Ohm @150w)
    • CH3 -> swim deck left
    • CH4 -> swim deck right
    • CH5 and CH6 bridged -> sub
The Sub input from the RA70N is weak and the HTX6 is purposely limited and cannot be tuned. Adding a line driver fixed it so that I now know there is a sub there. If it had come from the factory like that I probably wouldn't be doing any more but since I got into it all I am replacing the 6 Recon speakers with 8 Revos (new ones at helm for driver) and getting rid of the line driver and adding a new amp to drive 2 subs. That should do it for me as I only want rich sound at mid levels and to be able to hear while driving.

Thanks!

Last edited:

stilesja

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I too am late to the party, bought the boat new a year ago and drove stock all last summer. Would you mind explaining the line driver a bit more? I think I would be happy with it if it just had a little more oomph from the sub as well!

Maxdog21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I too am late to the party, bought the boat new a year ago and drove stock all last summer. Would you mind explaining the line driver a bit more? I think I would be happy with it if it just had a little more oomph from the sub as well!
Sure! I can get some after pics and show you as well when I go back to the boat later this week.

Note: I started by cutting cut all the input lines to the HTX6 because I had no idea what I was working with and needed to experiment. However, if I had been sure of the configuration above from the start and if I were just wanting to try to boost the sub I would have only cut the sub input line coming into the HTX6 from the RA70.

The line driver I added in is the one jacovii had mentioned on another post. It is the Rockford Fosgate RFPEQU 2 Channel Universal Punch EQ - You can get online for about $60. Attached a pic of that as well. The pic on Amazon does not show the cable and remote but it comes with them. Another option I considered was the AudioControl Matrix Plus because it has 6 channels that I could drive but it's $200 and for that money I'll see what I get out of the RFPEQ and go from there.
  • Cut the input line for the sub - see pic for where to find it. The clip holding the input wires is not like the other two and it's in a location where I couldn't see it so it was tricky for me. You have to reach behind it and pull the clip up. I couldn't get it by depressing the tab.
  • I added in male RCA plugs to the wire coming from the RA70 and female RCA plugs to the wires going to the HTX6 wiring harness. Just makes it easier if you ever want to switch things out in the future. I attached pics of two options I found for RCA. Screw on and crimp on. I did not buy the solder ones. I am sure someone will scold me for that. ;)
  • Hook up the line driver between the RA70 and the HTX6
  • I started with the gain set to minimum on the line driver and the remote punch eq set low as well. Turn on power and test. I left the remote knob at minimum and ended up setting the gain to about 75% (turned it up as I played)
  • You can then use the remote knob to adjust bass boost. I just left the remote knob behind the helm - did not mount.
I am still in the process of upgrading. I have ordered the Wet Sounds Revo 6 speakers to replace the stock Wet Sounds recon speakers. I will be installing this Thursday. I am adding a 7th and 8th speaker to the helm so I can hear from the driver seat. Not trying to be loud just want really clear rich sound to enjoy it without blowing people out of the front.

And also under consideration - A second sub. I got an enclosed sub to go into the compartment where the battery is. Slippery slope here as I don't think the HTX6 can handle two subs (And with the HTX6 DSP setup in bridged mode I can't run two 4ohm subs and not sure if I can change it back to dedicated channels) and that means a new amp will be needed for subs. I am considering this bc someone had mentioned the stock sub was not effective but so far I think it is ok and may return the sub. I'll update the thread as I go.

Attachments

Last edited:

Maxdog21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One more note. You can also download the Fusion app to your phone and adjust the EQ settings and Sub out settings. Set sub out to max and Bass on the EQ to max. It made a slight difference for me but was still very underwhelming so I kept going with the line driver..... and increasing bass on the other speakers wasn't really what I wanted to do anyway

Gump1976

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Max. This is useful. There’s a bunch of good info / ideas in different threads over the past few years, scattered around this site. Personally, I think I’m going to use Ch5/Ch6 from the HTX6 for the helm speaker addition, as I’ve purchased a separate sub amp as well as both harnesses for my RA70. I am going to use the sub out rca to feed the sub amp.

Maxdog21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good call on the harness @ only $15. If you don't mind could you post a pic of the back of your RA70 when you pull it to put in the new harness? I wasn't sure if I pulled the HU if a new RA70 harness would plug in or not. Saw in another thread a guy bought a brand new RA70N to get the line level out RCA and I thought maybe it was because the RA70 on the Yam was OEM like the HTX6. He could have spent $15 instead of $300 WOW!!

I have not tested ch5 and ch6 as dedicated channels bc they are bridged on our 2019 setup. Our HTX6 DSP may be flashed so that the ch5 and 6 are bridged in the software. I am going to replace the recons on my boat with new revo 6 today and will test that while I am there. If it is flashed that way you won't be able to run two 4 OHM speakers on that bridged output without adding resistors and that would just limit your power. I'll let you know what I find.

Yes there is a LOT of info in other threads. Some of it was not exactly correct for the 2019 so I made this post to give those with the 2019 LSE correct info on their stock setup so they don't have to go through the testing to figure it out. I saw where the 2018 242X has the HTX6 but it is programmed not to use the sub inputs and instead the zone1 in drives the sub as well as ch1 and 2....

Gump1976

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Sure thing. I’ll add my progress and any pics. I’ve read that sometimes the rcas on the stock harness are not cut from the factory but at that price I figured cover any scenario. You bring up another good point I did not consider with ch5 ch6 being bridged. I may end up having to rethink how I could possibly power 4 pairs from the htx6.

Maxdog21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
CH1 and 2 already run 2 pairs - front and middle. CH3 and 4 are only driving one pair at the swim deck. You can easily power a 2nd pair at the helm in parallel with the swim deck. I am actually doing that today. I will be drilling the holes for the helm speakers and connecting them in parallel with the swimdeck.... If I can get the nerve to cut holes in this boat. I am really most nervous about the depth of the speakers fitting after the hole is cut.

Maxdog21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Helm speakers installed and sounds great. NOTE!! - To help someone avoid my mistake. I was planning on putting in Revo 6 speakers. They have a depth of 3.375 inches. On the port side I drilled a very small hole in the middle of where I put the 5 inch template for the hole. I tested the depth there and it was clear. I also drilled a small hole at the top and then the bottom of the template and tested there. All was within the limit to be able to install the Revo 6!! Then on the opposite side I was like what the hell it fit over there might as well fit here. NOPE! I should have tested and put the hole about 1.5 inches higher and I would have been clear. Now I have to buy a new boat to get this speaker. OK not that bad but I will have to add a spacer for the speaker.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gump1976

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got around to my sub amp install. Thanks to @Maxdog21 and @jacoviii for the posted knowledge of the ‘19-‘20 system! I ended up cutting the line labeled “sub” and splicing the wires (2+ 1-) into rca’s which feed the MB Quart NA2-400.1. ($100 Amazon) What a difference! The sub actually works now. Love that the amp includes a tiny wired remote adjustment knob for the bass level. Purchased a 25’ spool of 10ga for power from the house battery. Tapped the blue wire at the wetsounds for remote on. Amp is small and easily fit in front of the wetsounds. Didn’t use any of the Fusion harnesses I purchased, maybe next round when I have more budget. Next step is to install a set of speakers at the helm and tap the wetsounds amp for that.

Attachments

2019se

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Old thread here but hoping you guys are still around....I want to completely replace the WS system with JL audio. After a quick read here it looks like I can just buy the rca harness for the rear head unit and use those rcas for the new amp? Will audio control still be functional from the helm? Not sure how the fusion at the stern and the connext screen communicate.