• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242X and LS eSeries Safety Recall

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just received this recall notice in the mail today. Luckily a week before pickup so the dealership is going to be addressing as appropriate beforehand. Either way I figure this is something that would be immediately noticeable on any affected boat, but wanted to post this as soon as I saw it in case anyone didn't get the memo on their 2019.

" ..there is the potential for the shift cables at the shift motor control assembly box to have been incorrectly installed during Factory assembly, so that the port control lever controls the starboard reverse gate and the starboard control lever controls the port reverse gate.."
20190406_143337.jpg

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I recieved mine today, I'll be asking the dealer to resolve it before I take delivery. Thank you.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmm, thanks. I just closed about a week ago, and take delivery on the 17th. I'm probably barely in the system (although I have received the Yamaha survey already). I'll check on it, as well. Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would think that would be easy to check yourself!

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Took boat out soon after delivery experienced serious problem. Reverse actually caused boat to move forward causing us to crash into dock and nearby boat. Called dealer and they acted surprised. Took to dealer (at my expense through Miami traffic) and was immediately told that it was a quick fix. They actually tried to give it back to me within about 20 minutes stating that they fixed it. In fact, they stated that it was the 4th boat to come in with similar problem. I told them to try it again. After 2 hours at dealer they assured me that it was fine. I told them to keep it for a week, talk to Yamama because it obviously had a manf/assembly problem and asked them to call me when it was perfect. Took it back to marina (at my cost of time/traffic/marina charge for unloading). Next 2 trips ruined by other problems. First one back in marina, batteries dead because dealer forget to turn off main switch. Had to jump batteries. Next received overheating message even though water was coming out of both pissers. Overheating alarm rang throughout short trip. Next trip out "Check Engine@ Stop BCU Consult Yamaha Dealer" error message again. Next trip out, boat refused to go over 10 mph even though jets were clear of all obstructions. Mind you, I purchased this boat 2/14/19 and picked up about 1 week later. So in less than 2 months, I have yet to have one error/problem free outing on this POS. Last week I received the Safety Recall notice in mail from Yamaha (which addresses the linkage problem). After spending $70k on this, I have yet to have one problem free outing and have lost all confidence in this machine.

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is disturbing, I'm picking up my boat next week. I told my dealer about the recall. they said they would address it before I take delivery.

Fingers crossed.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is disturbing, I'm picking up my boat next week. I told my dealer about the recall. they said they would address it before I take delivery.

Fingers crossed.
Picked up mine last sat. Verified the gates worked on their respective sides while on the trailer at the dealership. Planning on taking it out for the first time this sun. Hopefully no electrical gremlins! :rolleyes: Luckily, dealer said they would come pick up my boat if anything crops up under warranty.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My first trip out and the boat was perfect!! Can't wait for next outing. I understand your disappointment after buying such a nice boat. Hopefully the error messages was due to low battery voltages and hopefully it will not have them when fully charged .

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took boat out soon after delivery experienced serious problem. Reverse actually caused boat to move forward causing us to crash into dock and nearby boat. Called dealer and they acted surprised. Took to dealer (at my expense through Miami traffic) and was immediately told that it was a quick fix. They actually tried to give it back to me within about 20 minutes stating that they fixed it. In fact, they stated that it was the 4th boat to come in with similar problem. I told them to try it again. After 2 hours at dealer they assured me that it was fine. I told them to keep it for a week, talk to Yamama because it obviously had a manf/assembly problem and asked them to call me when it was perfect. Took it back to marina (at my cost of time/traffic/marina charge for unloading). Next 2 trips ruined by other problems. First one back in marina, batteries dead because dealer forget to turn off main switch. Had to jump batteries. Next received overheating message even though water was coming out of both pissers. Overheating alarm rang throughout short trip. Next trip out "Check Engine@ Stop BCU Consult Yamaha Dealer" error message again. Next trip out, boat refused to go over 10 mph even though jets were clear of all obstructions. Mind you, I purchased this boat 2/14/19 and picked up about 1 week later. So in less than 2 months, I have yet to have one error/problem free outing on this POS. Last week I received the Safety Recall notice in mail from Yamaha (which addresses the linkage problem). After spending $70k on this, I have yet to have one problem free outing and have lost all confidence in this machine.
That's very frustrating!
I hope this will end up being a low battery situation, the E-series seem to be sensitive to that.

--

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Typical Yamaha quality

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For what its worth, my 2018 LSE has had no gremlins yet!. It sucks that you've encountered all those issues. Hopefully they will resolve and you will come to enjoy that great boat.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The funny thing is that I researched this boat and purchased new to limit any problems as I have 2 kids on the spectrum and very little free time for problems or curve balls. Taking it back to dealer and giving them 1 more try.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone hear of similar problems with 2019 242 LSE?

AprilSolien

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just received this recall notice in the mail today. Luckily a week before pickup so the dealership is going to be addressing as appropriate beforehand. Either way I figure this is something that would be immediately noticeable on any affected boat, but wanted to post this as soon as I saw it in case anyone didn't get the memo on their 2019.

" ..there is the potential for the shift cables at the shift motor control assembly box to have been incorrectly installed during Factory assembly, so that the port control lever controls the starboard reverse gate and the starboard control lever controls the port reverse gate.."
View attachment 91197
I am feeling your frustration. I just took delivery of my boat this past Friday. It has been out three times. The last two times I have had to limp home. BCU warning.
Overheating of starboard engine...and on and on many of the same things you are saying here... Currently extremely frustrated

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that. Mine is running great. Have about 20+ hours so far.

Hope you can get your issues resolved quickly!

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
After my experience with my 2016 engine failure and their nonchalant attitude regarding recalls, I’m glad at least Yamaha is Taking the appropriate Measures. I hate it for you with hitting the dock and dealing with the aftermath. With extra trips back and forth to dealer. I had a lake tow that cost 435+ dollars and they were only going to cover $50 of the total. I hope your back on the water without further hiccups. Keep us posted.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
After my experience with my 2016 engine failure and their nonchalant attitude regarding recalls, I’m glad at least Yamaha is Taking the appropriate Measures. I hate it for you with hitting the dock and dealing with the aftermath. With extra trips back and forth to dealer. I had a lake tow that cost 435+ dollars and they were only going to cover $50 of the total. I hope your back on the water without further hiccups. Keep us posted.

Unfortunately, I took it out on family vacation in St Augustine and same problem BCU error message. I learned the work around (disconnect batteries). It's a pain and ridiculous for a new boat. I'm taking it back to dealer and following through with my request that they buy it back.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It’s worth investigating about your states lemon laws. If it was a car you would be off the hook. Not sure what the process would be. And maybe a call to your local news station if nothing else gets resolved.

Macmcphail

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow, I am new to this forums, but shocked at how many problems all are having with the BCU!!, I just bought my 24X and love the boat other than the BCU problem that I also have. With so many problems with this one thing (BCU) why they keep selling this boat knowing that its going to have problems, is so f up. I spent a lot of money on this as well as with all of you. Its hard to believe that Yamaha has not made the buyers feel they care. I have had many people ask me about my boat, The sad part is I feel stupid when I tell people that I cant trust the boat to run right. This is putting a massive bad mark on Yamaha it self and the dealers that sell them because of the lack of help and the feeling we are bothering them when we ask for help. by the looks of just this forums this is a massive problem that cold hurt or kill. let me explain: I was ankered by a oil platform by dauphine island al, fishing, I did not know I was in the way of the massive ship the drops and picks up people and food to the platform, I was pulling up anker as fast as I can , wife tried to crank boat motors, they cranks but would not go in gear so to BCU connections to motors with a loud noise, this big ship turns and puts his ass end in my directions and cranks the motors up pushing massive waves at me, making me hit the rig, I thought I and the wife were going to die, they figured out I was having engine problems and backed off but not before getting my boat some nice scratches from the platform and scaring my wife and I half to death. Its at the boat dealer and it seems no one cares there and it seems Yamaha does not care as well, maybe if someone dies they will care, I think they would but only because they would get sued that worry would be for how much not who dies. I would of expected mush better from Yamaha, no letters saying there is a BCU problem from Yamaha or from dealer. what a shame.