• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242X Fuel Consumption

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I received my boat I figured out that the battery wiring is a little messed up so my first few tanks of fuel were not actually saved in the trip information on connext. I am now just leaving the battery switches on and turning the key off which allows all my setting and mileage information to be saved. I was at the lake for 2 weeks and we probably went through 500-600 dollars in fuel. One of those tanks I was able to get some raw numbers and just curious what other 242x owners are getting. When comparing my fuel mileage between this boat and my old AR240 this one is just sucking down fuel like crazy. Keep in mind we are doing the same activities for roughly the same amount of time like surfing, cruising or outrunning storms at full throttle. To me its just crazy this thing is using as much fuel as it is. BTW I fill up at one of the most popular marina's on the water so this isn't old fuel or have any ethanol in it either.

I am getting 1.8mpg on average. I would give my total mileage but I don't think I have those numbers yet.

Whats everyone elses experience? If you don't have numbers, whats your gut say? Burning a lot more fuel than you anticipated?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
LOL, These big things like gas! 1.8 sounds about right for me also.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lol. Yeah but what is it? The towers and bimini? The small size difference? The keel? I just dont get why they would be this bad!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I really don't know. Maybe a combination of everything? I know these boats weight more also.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m about 2.5 mpg with normal cruising.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In a long weekend of normal cruising at 6200' the trip computer says about 2-2.2mpg. Depending on weight in the boat, it also showed 11-13gph.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I average 1.9 MPG. 2015 242 Limited S. You shouldn't have to keep your battery switches on to maintain Connext memory.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I average 1.9 MPG. 2015 242 Limited S. You shouldn't have to keep your battery switches on to maintain Connext memory.
You are right, shouldn't being the key phrase. I have seen first hand that his boat erases every single bit of saved parameters he has. Defiantly a winter warranty issue item.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep! Connext is just wired incorrectly on my switches. I have been in contact with my dealer who is 4 hours away and don't want to lose time during prime boating season. So I am just doing this as a work-around.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Reviving this thread. For reference, I've been out for 2 days now and am averaging 1.9mpg. But we've been tubing at 14-22 (kids are small and we're getting used to everything) so a lot of that time was off plane, pushing a fair amount of water.

But back to the Connext thing. Yesterday I set the clock and created a Drive Control profile for the tube. Today when we went out the clock was wrong and the Drive Control profile was messed up. Is there a fix? Do I need to take it to the dealer or can I fix it myself?

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Reviving this thread. For reference, I've been out for 2 days now and am averaging 1.9mpg. But we've been tubing at 14-22 (kids are small and we're getting used to everything) so a lot of that time was off plane, pushing a fair amount of water.

But back to the Connext thing. Yesterday I set the clock and created a Drive Control profile for the tube. Today when we went out the clock was wrong and the Drive Control profile was messed up. Is there a fix? Do I need to take it to the dealer or can I fix it myself?
Yep sounds like you have the same issue I have. You can leave the house batteries on all the time and just turn the key off. I did that most of the summer so I didn't lose any valuable boating time. I plan to take the boat to the dealer to rewire as I just didn't feel like I wanted to dive in to all that wiring. Plus over the phone my dealer couldn't exactly describe what wires needed to change places. I have a couple other small things to go over anyways. ;)

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any details on this wiring? Would prefer to fix it myself as the dealer is 100+ miles away...

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any details on this wiring? Would prefer to fix it myself as the dealer is 100+ miles away...
I was going to take mine to the dealer but like you my dealer is several hundred miles away plus the boat is stored at the lake awaybfrom me. I am going to see if I can figure it out myself when I change the oil and wax it.

mcbarronj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2019 242x e-Series. We saved all of our fuel receipts in 2019, I have crunched the numbers, and here are the results:
Boating Season: May - September
Boat Excursions: 25
Fuel Consumed: 594 gallons
Avg per Excursion: 23.8 gallons
Avg. Fuel Cost: $56.65
Avg. Fuel Burn/Engine: 3.2 gph
Season Fuel Cost: $1,416.34

Croker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I really don't know. Maybe a combination of everything? I know these boats weight more also.
I think it's mainly down to weight distribution and the jet/jets running at a higher rpm than a standard propeller outboard/inboard. Additionally, the design of the jet boats to be full time wake boats doesn't help especially when you are in a 6 knot zone agains a tide doing 4000 rpm.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think it's mainly down to weight distribution and the jet/jets running at a higher rpm than a standard propeller outboard/inboard. Additionally, the design of the jet boats to be full time wake boats doesn't help especially when you are in a 6 knot zone agains a tide doing 4000 rpm.
I don't know if you read thru the OPs full post or not but he is talking about the different fuel usage between his old AR240 ( with the same motors ) and his new boat. Before he purchased his boat I told him about the different fuel usage. So the factors you are talking about are not there. We are comparing basically the same boats.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 212S gets 1.8mpg on average. That's about 50% cruising at 33mph, 40% water sports, 10% no-wake.

Croker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don't know if you read thru the OPs full post or not but he is talking about the different fuel usage between his old AR240 ( with the same motors ) and his new boat. Before he purchased his boat I told him about the different fuel usage. So the factors you are talking about are not there. We are comparing basically the same boats.
Ah I see my bad.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
With boats, average fuel consumption can be all over the map depending on how you use the boat. Vehicles are different because they tend to be used the same way most of the time so it's easy to notice changes - such as towing uses a lot more fuel.

Personally I don't care about averages for my boat...I care about efficiency while cruising, and the rest is fun. I know I can get 3.0mpg cruising at 27mph using 9.0gph. That's my best cruising efficiency. If I'm going out to do water sports, I know it's going to use a lot more fuel, and racing across the lake or river WOT is also going to suck a lot of fuel - if I"m having fun doing that, I don't care about the fuel usage. Just saying...
:D

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I received my boat I figured out that the battery wiring is a little messed up so my first few tanks of fuel were not actually saved in the trip information on connext. I am now just leaving the battery switches on and turning the key off which allows all my setting and mileage information to be saved. I was at the lake for 2 weeks and we probably went through 500-600 dollars in fuel. One of those tanks I was able to get some raw numbers and just curious what other 242x owners are getting. When comparing my fuel mileage between this boat and my old AR240 this one is just sucking down fuel like crazy. Keep in mind we are doing the same activities for roughly the same amount of time like surfing, cruising or outrunning storms at full throttle. To me its just crazy this thing is using as much fuel as it is. BTW I fill up at one of the most popular marina's on the water so this isn't old fuel or have any ethanol in it either.

I am getting 1.8mpg on average. I would give my total mileage but I don't think I have those numbers yet.

Whats everyone elses experience? If you don't have numbers, whats your gut say? Burning a lot more fuel than you anticipated?
Also concur with your gas mileage. 1.8 is almost exactly what I end up with after no-wake, cruising, tubing. I've averaged exactly 2.2mpg on long cruises, but never any better than that. I think it's the top plus the overall weight in combo. Of note, I have straightened my Surf Pointe nozzle setup.