• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR 195. Cranks but will not start.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good afternoon, I have 2019 AR 195. A couple of weeks ago I had to be towed off of the water because my boat would not star after sitting on the water for 2 hours. I had everything turned off. The battery showed 12.2 volts prior to cranking but dropped to 11.2 volts during cranking. When I got it back to my house I pulled the spark plugs and they were soaked with gas. I replaced them and it started up with no problem. I thought my issue was a bad battery not giving me enough voltage to fore the ignition. I believed this was part of my problem for the engine not starting. But I do not know what TV drew down my battery to cause it not to start. After this happened I installed a second battery with a switch. I took the boat out on Saturday and left the battery in the both position. I let the boat sit for about 2 hours with everything turned off and it would crank but not start again. After I got towed back in I took the boat directly to the dealer. The mechanic told me all spark plugs had water on them. He said he replaced the plugs and it fired back up. I was not good with this response as I had the cranking but not starting issue happen to me 3 times. How does water get on all 4 spark plugs. Does anyone know how many y cranking amps you need to get these motors to fire. Has anyone had a similar issue. I honestly thought it was an ignition issue, but after being told water was on all spark plugs I'm confused at how that can happen. The ks for your time

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be the safety lanyard switch and it sounds electrical. I am not quick to think you have water on your spark plugs unless your boat bilge doesn't work or you have some other consideration since this is a 2019. I would also look at your 2nd battery install. Last, I would consider another dealer unless you are saying this is one of the better one's we read about here. Who is it?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You would need to do another wet test on the water with engine hatch open to see if any hoses have a pin hole in them.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes lanyard or clean out hatch switch but both should not let the motor crank.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate the responses. I purchased the boat at Barnies in south Tampa. It is still under warranty. The mechanic told me it had water on all spark plugs. I know when it broke om me the first time it had fuel on all plugs. I've never heard of water on all plugs unless I had a cracked head or cylinder in all 4. I personally did not pull the plugs and look at them. I agree I believe it's an ignition issue. Very frustrating.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's at the dealer now. I will let you know what they do to fix it. Thanks again for the responses

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you read codes on these boats? Do you need a code reader or can I check it on that display screen.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would need to do another wet test on the water with engine hatch open to see if any hoses have a pin hole in them.
It did not have any external leaks. Thanks again

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be the safety lanyard switch and it sounds electrical. I am not quick to think you have water on your spark plugs unless your boat bilge doesn't work or you have some other consideration since this is a 2019. I would also look at your 2nd battery install. Last, I would consider another dealer unless you are saying this is one of the better one's we read about here. Who is it.

Barnies in South Tampa thanks again

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the safety lanyard is disconnected, the engine still cranks but will not provide fuel and fire up. The rear hatch switches will not allow the engine to crank over

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boat will actually crank without the lanyard attached. It got me panicking a couple times...

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey just a thought, when you got towed back in, did the tow boat go fast? Did water enter the engine from the tow? Or maybe, the mechanic said water but noticed the plugs wet and just called it wrong.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Plugs would be wet after lots of cranking. Frequent problems in outboard are the neutral position sensor and the kill switch. Did you check both of those? Next would be a weak battery. Finally, bad gas would be my last most likely fault in a new boat.

On this boat, the rear deck hatch switch should also be tested.

The note above about towing is important. Towing above a few knots could have flooded the engines with water. Are you able to use a pump to sample the oil to check for water?

How many hours on the boat? Did you refill somewhere you normally don't? Has the boat sat for an long time?

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Plugs would be wet after lots of cranking. Frequent problems in outboard are the neutral position sensor and the kill switch. Did you check both of those? Next would be a weak battery. Finally, bad gas would be my last most likely fault in a new boat.

The note above about towing is important. Towing above a few knots could have flooded the engines with water. Are you able to use a pump to sample the oil to check for water?

How many hours on the boat? Did you refill somewhere you normally don't? Has the boat sat for an long time?
Very good point on the water in the engine! Towing without the fresh water intake line clamped off is risky. You can get water backing up from the exhaust system into the engine without any exhaust pressure to force the water out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I also have had issues with the throttle positioning switch , same symptoms I move the throttle a bit then retry and it usually works after that so next time move the throttle back and forth a bit and retry. The positioning sensor will not allow spark if the throttle is not in neutral to avoid accidents, thus the wet plugs but not water FUEL

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey just a thought, when you got towed back in, did the tow boat go fast? Did water enter the engine from the tow? Or maybe, the mechanic said water but noticed the plugs wet and just called it wrong.
When I got towed back the guy wasn't going fast. For water to be on all plugs would all exhaust valves need to be open. I know the first time this happened it was fuel. When the lanyard is not installed does it just turn off spark or both fuel and spark.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

On this boat, the rear deck hatch switch should also be tested.

The boat has 20 hours on it. The first time it broke it had around 10 hours. It may have entered during the two. But it was on all 4 plugs according to the mechanic. I'm tired of this brand new boat breaking. Im sure it's something simple. How much does your boat volts drop when you crank it? Mine goes from 12.2 down to 11.2 cranking. How many volts do you need for ignition to light. Maybe a bad cell in a battery? The last t iij me it broke I accidentally left my batt switch in both. I still have the first battery installed in the number 2 position from when it broke last time. The boat sat for a week. By the way I have the same color boat as you.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
20200317_095233.jpg

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
When I got towed back the guy wasn't going fast. For water to be on all plugs would all exhaust valves need to be open. I know the first time this happened it was fuel. When the lanyard is not installed does it just turn off spark or both fuel and spark.
It disables spark only.

If there's enough battery to crank, there's enough for the ignition.

Do you have kids? Could they have messed with the controls ?

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I believe spark only which in fact would give you the wet plug problem. Let us know what the dealer finds.