• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Bimini Trip ( Unofficial Thread Until Admin Puts Official One Up)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am seeing random threads with Bimini discussions about the 2019 trip ( or trips). I am putting this up to avoid answering the same question in multiple threads and while waiting for the admins to post the official 2019 thread.

Before you get carried away, please read ( or at least scan ) this thread....

https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fingers crossed, we are going to try to make next year’s trip.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm planning for an early July trip next year....this time bringing my daughter, nephew, and probably flying in my wife and SIL (the only challenge will be what to do with my Dad...he can't be left alone...not sure if they have house sitters for 85 year olds)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm planning for an early July trip next year....this time bringing my daughter, nephew, and probably flying in my wife and SIL (the only challenge will be what to do with my Dad...he can't be left alone...not sure if they have house sitters for 85 year olds)
https://www.visitingangels.com/

I think @MrMoose brought his 80+ years young father in law in 2016

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Replying to your response on the other thread...

You are referencing items that may make the trip easier, but not things that are REQUIRED from what I have seen. No, I don't plan on adding trim tabs to my boat at this time either. For a 21' boat, it handles wakes and chop impressively well in my opinion, especially compared to other boats the same size. I have had my old Monterey out in some ROUGH stuff down in the Keys and know what it is like. But, I am not going to completely re-outfit my boat with items I don't care to have for one trip a year. I use my boat 90% on inland lakes. I will be taking it on the Cooper river to Charleston run since my family does that run about every year. And I'll use it going up and down the intracoastal waterway when I am down at the beach house.

But, I would like to know how many people have taken stock 19-21' Yamahas on the Bimini crossing compared to how many re-outfitted the boats with trim tabs prior to going.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Replying to your response on the other thread...

You are referencing items that may make the trip easier, but not things that are REQUIRED from what I have seen. No, I don't plan on adding trim tabs to my boat at this time either. For a 21' boat, it handles wakes and chop impressively well in my opinion, especially compared to other boats the same size. I have had my old Monterey out in some ROUGH stuff down in the Keys and know what it is like. But, I am not going to completely re-outfit my boat with items I don't care to have for one trip a year. I use my boat 90% on inland lakes. I will be taking it on the Cooper river to Charleston run since my family does that run about every year. And I'll use it going up and down the intracoastal waterway when I am down at the beach house.

But, I would like to know how many people have taken stock 19-21' Yamahas on the Bimini crossing compared to how many re-outfitted the boats with trim tabs prior to going.
Very few people use trim tabs. Some have them and swear by them for the crossing but they are by no means necessary. The only “required” items are a radio (preferably fixed over handheld...or both) and a GPS/chartplotter in case you get separated from your crossing group. Plus, the chartplotter works great in and around Bimini trying to find certain spots as well as watching out for the depths ahead of time before you’re right on top of a shallow spot.

Edit: and visual signaling devices. Thanks @Bruce, I forgot :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think @MrMoose brought his 80+ years young father in law in 2016
Bringing him would be a real challenge, he's mostly blind, not very mobile and becoming a crankier by the day LOL. Since he refuses to exercise we aren't sure how much longer he'll be with us. Yesterday I called him to see how he was doing - asked him what he'd had for lunch and he thought about it and said, "Nothing". My BIL and SIL were working all day (typically one will be home midday) and since they didn't come home, he was too lazy to walk from his couch and get himself lunch! (and he can walk...just chooses not to). sigh

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jameson Clark, @AndyD, flares are legally required.

Jameson, come as prepared or underprepared as you want. Those that are more prepared and have good attitudes will enjoy the trip more. Preparedness comes in different forms. Sometimes it is in equipment and supplies other times it is being mentally prepared to rough it. Those that are leat prepared are unlikely to complete the crossing.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As many are aware we experienced issues with Peter Maury, the representative of Rupert Roberts the developer of Bimini Sands, attempts to sabotage our and other events at Bimini Sands. Rest assured whether at Bimini Sands or elsewhere we will have multiple Bimini Trips in 2019. @Andy S and I have been discussing the future and believe that three trips may be likely to accommodate growth and lodging availability for 2019.

The Bimini Sands home owners association and Rentals at Bimini Sands did everything they could to salvage our visits despite the intentional sabotage. We will be watching closely to see what changes this fall then making a decision about where to host our 2019 events.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jameson Clark, @AndyD, flares are legally required.

Jameson, come as prepared or underprepared as you want. Those that are more prepared and have good attitudes will enjoy the trip more. Preparedness comes in different forms. Sometimes it is in equipment and supplies other times it is being mentally prepared to rough it. Those that are leat prepared are unlikely to complete the crossing.
I do have flares and a GPS/chartplotter already. My main thing is I don't want to add $2,500 in accessories that I really don't want just for the crossing. That is what I was trying to get across. I am 100% willing to purchase/install anything I NEED. But, I am also willing to take a little more beating on a rough crossing due to no trim tabs. This is the most capable boat I have owned so far, though my Monterey did incredibly well for it's size. I have taken that Monterey places people with 24's were scared to go. So, I am just looking for input on what others with/without these add -ons have experienced.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As many are aware we experienced issues with Peter Maury, the representative of Rupert Roberts the developer of Bimini Sands, attempts to sabotage our and other events at Bimini Sands. Rest assured whether at Bimini Sands or elsewhere we will have multiple Bimini Trips in 2019. @Andy S and I have been discussing the future and believe that three trips may be likely to accommodate growth and lodging availability for 2019.

The Bimini Sands home owners association and Rentals at Bimini Sands did everything they could to salvage our visits despite the intentional sabotage. We will be watching closely to see what changes this fall then making a decision about where to host our 2019 events.
Is there a thread on what happened? I am unaware and was already looking at Bimini Sands for myself and my brother for next year.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jameson Clark, trim tabs soften the ride. I almost always use them. The cost is less than $1K depending on what you buy. There are many, many threads discussing them. All you need to do is search.

Our boats are often marginal for a Gulf Stream crossing.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This video from Mrs. @Ramblin Wreck does a great job of showing why we go to Bimini!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What I'd say are the minimal requirements for the trip to Bimini:
  1. A fully operational boat in full operating order and maintained well. Nothing inoperable. All the safety gear required by the CG.
  2. A full fixed marine radio with max range antenna (8' whip) mounted as high as possible on your craft
  3. A back up hand held radio in your ditch bag - and yes - you are prepared to ditch your boat.
  4. A GPS navigation device and at least one back up. (We had two back up to the fixed Garmin GPS--both phones-- both with downloaded maps of the area)
  5. Experience boating in rough water. You don't need a lot, but you need to know the characteristics of your boat, and what you are willing to endure for 2-4 hours in it, and what your crew are willing to endure.
Pretty sure that covers the needed items.....Everything else is optional - not to say that other items might not make the crossing more pleasant...but still optional like:
  1. Trim tabs (I don't have them...I think the 24' hulls with keels do very well)
  2. Bean bags...I considered buying them...would save my aging back some!
  3. Extra gas...we always take spare gas. You never know if you need to detour around a storm. Our boats (operating properly) can make it without needing gas....but if you pick up weeds and don't realize you are cavitating...you will run out!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian, I would add a basic understanding of boat operation, more than a few days of boating experience and the ability and willingness to work well with others to that list.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If one of the trips lines up we are in.

My inlaws have annual family reunion Sunday of fathers day and the following week. Fathers day is Sunday jun 16th. They agreed to watch kids so we can escape for a week to celebrate our 10th anniversary.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jameson Clark thank you for moving the discussion here.

As I was expecting you are will be getting a diverse array of opinions which carry more weight than mine anyway.

As an FYI, I am attaching my cost from 2017.
  • there are non Bimini related expenses which will be can easily back out by reading the comments
  • My list is not complete as my boat was far from a stock boat when I bought it. For example, it already had dual batteries, 7inch chart-plotter , signaling stuff, fins and zero cracks ( something which I remedied within 10 hours of boating in the lake)
  • the damage I took in 2017 is not fully assessed as I have not repaired all of it yet.
  • I am also including my wish-list prior to my boat going to Bimini again ( thanks to @Amar Nanduri & @Water Girl I did not have to spend that money in 2018)

Taking the risk of sounding like an arrogant as**ole I would like to add the following. Pretty much everyone agrees that the boat can take more biting than the crew can handle. Rarely you can get a crew that can handle more biting than the boat can, so I would be cautious on how you are benchmark your boat. Who know you might be way more capable than your boat it.

Full disclaimer: my crew was cracking jokes about how cool it will be to die while crossing the Bermuda triangle. After we arrived safely in Bimini, my crew swore to never joke about dying again. Poseidon does have a high sense of humor, so please do read about Ajax the Lesser and his crossing from Troy to mainland Greece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_the_Lesser

As he was returning from Troy, Athena hit his ship with a thunderbolt and the vessel was wrecked on the Whirling Rocks (Γυραὶ πέτραι). But he escaped with some of his men, managing to cling onto a rock through the assistance of Poseidon. He would have been saved in spite of Athena, but he then audaciously declared that he would escape the dangers of the sea in defiance of the immortals. Offended by this presumption, Poseidon split the rock with his trident and Ajax was swallowed up by the sea.[20][8]Thetis buried him when the corpse washed up on Myconos

Attachments

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a thread on what happened? I am unaware and was already looking at Bimini Sands for myself and my brother for next year.
there is a lot of info on the June thread about it, but I would not loose about it. The admins handle all the drama, we just show up and enjoy the water LOL