• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 FL Keys trip (Hawks Cay Resort)

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This year we decided to vacation in the FL keys, specifically the middle keys so that we could spoke out in any direction. We stayed 7 nights at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key which is on the North of Marathon. Very Very nice 4-Star resort with both marina and canal slips. We chose the more convenient canal slip right out our back door.
There is a ton of info about Hawks Cay Resort at hawkscay.com, but in summary 6 restaurants, 5 Pools and a private saltwater lagoon all with first class service. It is very family oriented and a few adults only areas and pool.
By far our favorite thing to do was to snorkel at Looe key Reef, which was about 36 miles south or Coffins Patch about 6 miles straight out from Hawks Cay. These are large live coral reefs with an abundance of sea life. Unfortunately we didn’t make it to any of the popular sand bars like Snipes Point or up to Key Largo mainly due to the distances. We had the right idea to stay in the middle of the keys and spoke out, but for a lake boat things are pretty spread out that we burnt one and a half to two full tanks per day. There a plenty of Marinas that we found on the marine GPS, but you had to be mindful of what time they closed for the day many closed at 4:30 or 5:00…
We took the boat out every day except one day where we did a day trip in the truck down to Key West to sight see & do some shopping.

Here’s a little video compilation of our trip.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This year we decided to vacation in the FL keys, specifically the middle keys so that we could spoke out in any direction. We stayed 7 nights at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key which is on the North of Marathon. Very Very nice 4-Star resort with both marina and canal slips. We chose the more convenient canal slip right out our back door.
There is a ton of info about Hawks Cay Resort at hawkscay.com, but in summary 6 restaurants, 5 Pools and a private saltwater lagoon all with first class service. It is very family oriented and a few adults only areas and pool.
By far our favorite thing to do was to snorkel at Looe key Reef, which was about 36 miles south or Coffins Patch about 6 miles straight out from Hawks Cay. These are large live coral reefs with an abundance of sea life. Unfortunately we didn’t make it to any of the popular sand bars like Snipes Point or up to Key Largo mainly due to the distances. We had the right idea to stay in the middle of the keys and spoke out, but for a lake boat things are pretty spread out that we burnt one and a half to two full tanks per day. There a plenty of Marinas that we found on the marine GPS, but you had to be mindful of what time they closed for the day many closed at 4:30 or 5:00…
We took the boat out every day except one day where we did a day trip in the truck down to Key West to sight see & do some shopping.

Here’s a little video compilation of our trip.
Sound like a great trip. Stayed there for a business conference a few years back. Great place.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have friends that go there often and have asked us several times. We haven't been able to make it yet but tossing it around for a Christmas trip.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rod5 can you give some feedback between key in 2019 and Bimini in 2018. Aside from the crossing and cost how does your family compare the 2 ?

We are struggling between the 2 places and don't have enough vacation to do both of them in one summer.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
man that looks awesome. Just priced a trip to see what it'd cost me and a buddy. That's not a trip I'd drag my 4 yo and wife on quite yet. LOL!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, that water and snorkeling looks amazing.

I'm so ready to get our boat south and visit some of these places!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Rod5 can you give some feedback between key in 2019 and Bimini in 2018. Aside from the crossing and cost how does your family compare the 2 ?

We are struggling between the 2 places and don't have enough vacation to do both of them in one summer.
Hey @Betik
Accommodations and logistics convince are the two biggest differences. Hawks Cay is a bona fide 4 star resort with all the local conveniences of the local area from grocery stores, marina, fishing tackle shops, dive shops and the like. Bimini is much more adventurous with lots of coordinating multiple hotels and slips, which is definitely all part of the fun. Bimini was a lot more physical work and less relaxing for me with all the logistics, loading and unloading cases of water, food, beer, gas cans, dealing with power outages, etc.
On the flip side Bimini offers destinations that are closer to home port, even more clear water, practically no sea weed to deal with (compared to the Keys), has beaches to beach or anchor off of more out of the ordinary/spectacular sights. But pure snorkeling or diving is hands down better in the keys given all the living coral reefs with sea life to explore. We enjoyed some snorkeling in Bimini around the planes and Honeymoon Harbor, but we didn't find or stumble onto anything like Looe Kee Reef or Coffins Patch.
Accommodations cost was actually pretty comparable once you factor in staying at Bahia mar and cost of truck/trailer parking etc. that you wont have at Hawks Cay. What will be more is the wife's attraction to the on-sight spa, the ample availability of food and drinks at the pools, and the fuel burn. Even though on average Marine fuel was $1.50 a gallon cheaper in the keys compared to Bimini last year (including crossings fuel burn) our boat fuel cost was 30% higher in the Keys. Reason, Seaweed AKA Sargassum which is brown algae Looks like bird nests stuffed in the pumps in the video. The first day or two I kept jumping in to clear the pumps, by day 3 I learned how to master the reverse maneuver and doing so twice in a row was the Best. Were talking literally 15 to 20 times a day stopping to clear pumps... That same stuff outside of Ft Lauderdale or Miami is everywhere in the Keys and is in my opinion is the biggest drawback for the Keys, but only IF you run a Jet Boat. Boat up to restaurants bar & grills are everywhere in the Keys. We never cooked a single meal or ate at the same place the entire week we were in the Keys.
All that said some day yes we will go back to Bimini for the adventure and we DEFINITELY will be going back to the FL Keys!
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions, happy to share our experience.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Man, this has me thinking..... Went to Miami for a week last month and almost added 4-5 days at Hawks Nest. Flew and didn't take the boat, but this is definitely something to think about.

@vanmurray spent a week in the keys earlier this year too.... he loved it

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
FL Keys were awesome. We trailered from NC to Key West over 2 days and stayed at Oceans Edge on Stock Island. Went as far out as Sand Key Light (10 mi out, great snorkeling) and into Gulf of Mexico near Marvin Key.

Weeds were really bad on the Atlantic side.

75F18D3E-3D26-4077-B6E8-2C97FB347856.jpegB12A4B72-4BFB-46F3-A091-4F6A662AB918.jpegF9BCF67B-4F26-4641-A11C-2747FA5C38F7.jpeg

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
La Jolla resort is in Islamorada and less then $300a night with docking on the gulf side. The Whale Harbor sandbar is only a few miles from there, And also bass pro shops and the Islamorada Fish Company is less than a 1/4 mile.
By Cudjoe Key Venture Out has boatgas for the same price as car gas about $1 a gallon cheaper than everywhere else and they sell wine also. It is close to Looe Key.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
La Jolla resort is in Islamorada and less then $300a night with docking on the gulf side. The Whale Harbor sandbar is only a few miles from there, And also bass pro shops and the Islamorada Fish Company is less than a 1/4 mile.
By Cudjoe Key Venture Out has boatgas for the same price as car gas about $1 a gallon cheaper than everywhere else and they sell wine also. It is close to Looe Key.
Hey that’s all great info thanks for sharing. However Looe key is the other direction down off of Big Pine. La Jolla resort would add about 27 more miles to the 36 mile run from Duck Key to Looe key. Maybe you’re thinking of the the snorkeling areas off of Key Largo?

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@vanmurray
How was Oceans Edge ??
Looks like dockage is available. I called but didn't get the cost of a slip...
I'm heading down in a couple weeks.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rod5 @vanmurray

How do you guys think a 190 would handle the waters in the keys? Been wanting to do something this year for our 10th wedding anniversary. Been considering the Bahama's, or something similar. Saw this video and it has the crystal clear water we're looking for, as well as the white sandy beaches. Would love to visit some of the snorkeling places as well. This seems to have it all, and remains on american soil (which is a big deal for the wife currently).

Aside from the 17hr tow down there and back, it looks very doable for us.

Anything a midwestern lake boater needs to add to the boat for a trip like this? VHF Radio? GPS System?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Rod5 @vanmurray

How do you guys think a 190 would handle the waters in the keys? Been wanting to do something this year for our 10th wedding anniversary. Been considering the Bahama's, or something similar. Saw this video and it has the crystal clear water we're looking for, as well as the white sandy beaches. Would love to visit some of the snorkeling places as well. This seems to have it all, and remains on american soil (which is a big deal for the wife currently).

Anything a midwestern lake boater needs to add to the boat for a trip like this? VHF Radio? GPS System?
Yes it would handle it fine. No real white sandy beaches there.But if it’s Rough on the gulf side you can go to the ocean side if it’s right on the ocean side you can go to the gulf side, Keys are great.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey that’s all great info thanks for sharing. However Looe key is the other direction down off of Big Pine. La Jolla resort would add about 27 more miles to the 36 mile run from Duck Key to Looe key. Maybe you’re thinking of the the snorkeling areas off of Key Largo?
I went to looe Key from there it is a long ride and that is why I needed fuel at Cudjoe Key. Riding in the boat through the Keys when there is no seaweed is heaven. Stopped at Faro Blanco on way back for dinner. Tied at2E5291F4-BF2F-44E0-9A3F-C5DC2FEFF1D3.png mooring ball at Looe Key.

Last edited:

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Rod5 @vanmurray

Agree with @Liveto99. 190 will be fine but there are not really any beaches. We found a shallow sand bar about the size of a football field on the gulf side toward Marvin Key. It was beautiful but we had an 8-10ft shark come see us so it’s not exactly relaxing if you want to swim.

Sand Key Light is barely in sight of land, but some of the best clear water and snorkeling we’ve seen. You’ll want VHF and GPS regardless.

We had a 14 hour haul. That is a mission in itself. I carried an extra spare and a floor jack. I had a bearing buddy come off on my next trip. Next time I would carry spare trailer parts/bearings, etc.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@vanmurray
How was Oceans Edge ??
Looks like dockage is available. I called but didn't get the cost of a slip...
I'm heading down in a couple weeks.
Oceans Edge was really nice. Restaurant was good and pools in front of every building. Marina is fixed docks so bring long lines. It was one channel down from Hurricane Hole and you could cut across to gulf side (we had to lower the top due to tide once).

They had trailer parking for us and boat ramp is right down the road (no truck/trailer parking).

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I went to looe Key from there it is a long ride and that is why I needed fuel at Cudjoe Key. Riding in the boat through the Keys when there is no seaweed is heaven. Stopped at Faro Blanco on way back for dinner. Tied atView attachment 100654 mooring ball at Looe Key.
NICE!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with @Liveto99. 190 will be fine but there are not really any beaches. We found a shallow sand bar about the size of a football field on the gulf side toward Marvin Key. It was beautiful but we had an 8-10ft shark come see us so it’s not exactly relaxing if you want to swim.

Sand Key Light is barely in sight of land, but some of the best clear water and snorkeling we’ve seen. You’ll want VHF and GPS regardless.

We had a 14 hour haul. That is a mission in itself. I carried an extra spare and a floor jack. I had a bearing buddy come off on my next trip. Next time I would carry spare trailer parts/bearings, etc.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I need to add GPS and VHF to the boat before I make the trip.

The water looks amazing there, and I think Hawks Cay Resort might be the right value level for us. Nice enough to be really nice, but not so nice as to be overly expensive. Looks like (from satellite view anyway) they have a sand beach around the lagoon there. So that would probably be enough beach for her.

Maybe this year we'll fly into Key West and just rent a boat for a few days instead of bringing our own. See what it's like out there.

Rick Rousseau

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rod5 @vanmurray

I've been to the Keys with my 190. The first big road trip I did after I bought the boat was to Coco Plum resort in Marathon. They had a dock on a canal across the street from the condo and trailer parking. We took the boat off shore to Coffin Patch for snorkeling and it did fine. Also went through Vaca Cut to the Gulf side and cruised around, it was very nice.