• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Honda CRV with a 3rd conversion ( help find specialty bolt needed to finalize the project)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right before the pandemic hit last year I bought a left over 2019 CRV. During the pandemic I have put mods on this vehicle as if it was a boat. That being said, I am kind of stuck on a final mod though. I have added seat belts and a Jeep seat on the trunk and they feel solid. However, I want the seat to be bolted down to the angle iron I have mounted. The problem is that traditional bolts require access both from the top and the bottom in order to tight it. However, given the trunk tray is in between I need some sort of bolt that can be tightened from the top. For example, I regular bolt with a hexagone insert would work. I have googled it multiple time, but I think I am using the wrong terminology to search for it.
Does anyone know how to search for those specialty bolts? OR have any recommendations on securing the seat?

I hope someone can help find what I need otherwise I will have to sale the car and buy a minivan as the kids demand a 3rd row even it is just the 2 of them.

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drill and Tap the angle iron for the bolt you want to use.

I'll use a 3/8" bolt as an example. You will have to choose the appropriate tap and drill bit to go with whatever size bolt you want to use.

Buy this bolt:

Then buy this drill bit:

That drill bit makes the hole for this tap:

You will need this tap handle (unless you already have one):

Follow this procedure (assuming you've never done this before).
  • Mark where you want the holes.
  • Drill hole with above drill bit and cordless drill
    • Use lubrication and go slow
    • Speed makes heat
    • heat kills drill bits
  • Assemble tap into handle
  • Tap (thread) the hole you just drilled.
  • Place items where you want them and bolt into place.
  • Drink a beer and admire your handy work
Let me know if you have questions.

Here's a guy on Youtube that taps a piece of angle iron, just like what you're looking to do.

Adam Savage has a great video on it as well. It's long at 45min though. He's a pleasure to listen to however, so it's worth it if you have the time.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think you are looking for blind nuts. gugl it. A lot of options out there.

20210729_111822.jpg

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right before the pandemic hit last year I bought a left over 2019 CRV. During the pandemic I have put mods on this vehicle as if it was a boat. That being said, I am kind of stuck on a final mod though. I have added seat belts and a Jeep seat on the trunk and they feel solid. However, I want the seat to be bolted down to the angle iron I have mounted. The problem is that traditional bolts require access both from the top and the bottom in order to tight it. However, given the trunk tray is in between I need some sort of bolt that can be tightened from the top. For example, I regular bolt with a hexagone insert would work. I have googled it multiple time, but I think I am using the wrong terminology to search for it.
Does anyone know how to search for those specialty bolts? OR have any recommendations on securing the seat?

I hope someone can help find what I need otherwise I will have to sale the car and buy a minivan as the kids demand a 3rd row even it is just the 2 of them.
Fastenal

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Drill and Tap the angle iron for the bolt you want to use.

I'll use a 3/8" bolt as an example. You will have to choose the appropriate tap and drill bit to go with whatever size bolt you want to use.

Buy this bolt:

Then buy this drill bit:

That drill bit makes the hole for this tap:

You will need this tap handle (unless you already have one):

Follow this procedure (assuming you've never done this before).
  • Mark where you want the holes.
  • Drill hole with above drill bit and cordless drill
    • Use lubrication and go slow
    • Speed makes heat
    • heat kills drill bits
  • Assemble tap into handle
  • Tap (thread) the hole you just drilled.
  • Place items where you want them and bolt into place.
  • Drink a beer and admire your handy work
thank you, I remember seeing my dad doing this when I was little kid. I might give it a shot :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you are looking for blind nuts. gugl it. A lot of options out there.
Do you think this will have enough grip to apply high torque while bolting down ?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you think this will have enough grip to apply high torque while bolting down ?
It is hard to see in your pictures where you need the threads. To me it looks like you need a clearance hole in the angle iron and threads in the trunk sheetmetal. If you need threads in the angle iron then cutting threads with a tap as @2kwik4u is your best option as long as it is thick enough to get 4-5 complete threads cut into it. If it is the trunk sheetmetal you are trying to grab, tap into, that will not be thick enough to tap unless there is a backing plate, like bumper reinforcement in that spot. Another picture or even a hand sketch might clarify. I assume you will be using 3/8" or 1/2" hardware which will need some fairly thick material to tap into. The pictures of the "speed chart" show the hardware info. for tapping both a UNC and UNF threads. To cut enough threads into the sheetmetal for that size hardware, you will need at least 1/4" of material thickness. If you can tap, I would do that as long as you have access for the sliding t handle to start straight. While hand tapping, cut some thread by turning the t handle, maybe a half revolution and then turn the handle backwards until you hear, feel the thread curl snap, then another half turn and then backwards again until you feel another snap. Repeat until you are thru.

A blind nut will lock itself to the sheetmetal as you tighten the bolt. You can use locktite if you are worried about the bolt backing out. The metal around the hole would have to stretch, deform for it to fail by pulling thru the hole or tearing the metal.

Another picture or drawing of what you are doing will clarify for us.

Here is some thread info. on tap drill size needed to cut threads for 3/8 and 1/2" bolts.

20210730_073343.jpg

20210730_072618.jpg

If you are just bolting the seat to the angle iron then tap it as long as you have enough clearance between the angle iron and the trunk to turn the bolts tight. Nevermind the sketch or most of the above, I see what you are doing now. How thick is the angle iron? I thought you were trying to bolt the angle iron to the sheetmetal in the trunk.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is cool, any log of your mods?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper we are in Florida but I will take the measurements and put a drawing.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is cool, any log of your mods?
I have done a write up but I could once it is all done. Do you have a CRV you think about adding a 3rd row ? It is very cramped, but my kids think it is fun, so I kind of have to ….

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have done a write up but I could once it is all done. Do you have a CRV you think about adding a 3rd row ? It is very cramped, but my kids think it is fun, so I kind of have to ….
No, just enjoying seeing cars/boats/whatever being modded.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did go with @2kwik4u option and you can almost see the 3 holes that are threaded. On the second photo you can see how it looks when covered. I only have to find an easy way to use the seatbelt buckles which should not be very difficult.

as a side note the spare tire is still accessible with an allen range to take off the 3 bolts. Now that will add an extra 20 minutes if we have to use the spare tire, but we will see :):oops:

I will post some pictures once it is final …..

Attachments