• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 SCARAB 195 OPEN ID - 200 hp Mystery Relay Tripping

Jackson@lake_eufaula

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
I bought the boat in 2019. Last summer we were dead in the water 5 times or so. A fuel pump issue (it was installed incorrectly) that I fixed were the first two times.
The rest of the shut off problems go as follows:

When the boat is driven wide open at full RPMs for 30 - 40 minutes continuous it pops a relay. Sudden stop.
A code comes up U0410. Also Sometimes (not Always) it says reverse module error.
If you let the relay cool for 20 minutes you can continue to use the boat at lower RPMs as long as you like.

Now - my boat has been at the dealership since last October.
The relay has been replaced by the dealership. They are New batteries. Fully charged with on board charger. Normal voltage showing at rest and under use.

Dealer takes the boat out this last weekend and says he CANNOT recreate the problem. Thought? Water temp could be a factor ? I am in Oklahoma city area.
I have started writing to SCARAB directly over the last few months but they are slow to respond and appear to only contact the dealer.
Dealer is now slow answering any texts.
found an older article here on the forum that I want them to check out - posted it below. any help at all would be much appreciated

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm not an expert on relays, but I think most relays fail because of a short somewhere. Could it be you had some sort of short that has now been fixed when the dealer reinstalled everything? I don't see how water temperature would make a relay fail. I'm betting on a short...

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I bought the boat in 2019. Last summer we were dead in the water 5 times or so. A fuel pump issue (it was installed incorrectly) that I fixed were the first two times.
The rest of the shut off problems go as follows:

When the boat is driven wide open at full RPMs for 30 - 40 minutes continuous it pops a relay. Sudden stop.
A code comes up U0410. Also Sometimes (not Always) it says reverse module error.
If you let the relay cool for 20 minutes you can continue to use the boat at lower RPMs as long as you like.

Now - my boat has been at the dealership since last October.
The relay has been replaced by the dealership. They are New batteries. Fully charged with on board charger. Normal voltage showing at rest and under use.

Dealer takes the boat out this last weekend and says he CANNOT recreate the problem. Thought? Water temp could be a factor ? I am in Oklahoma city area.
I have started writing to SCARAB directly over the last few months but they are slow to respond and appear to only contact the dealer.
Dealer is now slow answering any texts.
found an older article here on the forum that I want them to check out - posted it below. any help at all would be much appreciated
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum!

The part you circled is from me. What I stated was true. They did replace the eReverse module and really haven't had any issues with it since (throwing codes that is). Curious, why are you WOT for 30-40 minutes? Do you ever just cruise? I see you have no issues running at a lower speed. Maybe that's your answer. IDK

With that said, I agree with @Luc Lafreniere and found this:

"Quick update on the ereverse not working. The dealer found a faulty connection behind the gear shift/speed control next to the driver. They had to remove the panel and replace the connector and then add a strain relief. That was last week and I am happy to say it seems to have resolved the problem. "

Not sure if this will fix your problem but maybe a place to start?

Jackson@lake_eufaula

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
I'm not an expert on relays, but I think most relays fail because of a short somewhere. Could it be you had some sort of short that has now been fixed when the dealer reinstalled everything? I don't see how water temperature would make a relay fail. I'm betting on a short...
I agree.

Jackson@lake_eufaula

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum!

The part you circled is from me. What I stated was true. They did replace the eReverse module and really haven't had any issues with it since (throwing codes that is). Curious, why are you WOT for 30-40 minutes? Do you ever just cruise? I see you have no issues running at a lower speed. Maybe that's your answer. IDK

With that said, I agree with @Luc Lafreniere and found this:

"Quick update on the ereverse not working. The dealer found a faulty connection behind the gear shift/speed control next to the driver. They had to remove the panel and replace the connector and then add a strain relief. That was last week and I am happy to say it seems to have resolved the problem. "

Not sure if this will fix your problem but maybe a place to start?
Wide open. Just returning from a day on a remote beach. Each time running full speed. In one case. Wanted to dock before dark. The other. If you must know was a bathroom emergency with a crew member.
any how. What difference does it make. All boats have a top speed. Mine just just pops a relay when I use it too long. There should be no reason a person cannot enjoy the speed of a sport boat.
I love to cruise. Cruise all day. Then quick to get home.
thank you so much for the info. I will have my dealer look into this ASAP. I hope this is the fix.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Wide open. Just returning from a day on a remote beach. Each time running full speed. In one case. Wanted to dock before dark. The other. If you must know was a bathroom emergency with a crew member.
any how. What difference does it make. All boats have a top speed. Mine just just pops a relay when I use it too long. There should be no reason a person cannot enjoy the speed of a sport boat.
I love to cruise. Cruise all day. Then quick to get home.
thank you so much for the info. I will have my dealer look into this ASAP. I hope this is the fix.
Understood, found myself in those exact situations. But on the other side, running any engine at max RPMs over a long period of time pushes everything to the max and will fail. Seams when I do something always goes bad. I'm also glad to know that we can with our engines. Thx!!!

Findings shorts can be like finding a needle in a haystack. Maybe you'll get lucky 🤞! Good luck!

Jackson@lake_eufaula

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
After continuous emails to SCARAB's website email link..... they called me today. Although they sent a tech to work on this boat back in June. somehow the work ticket case file was lost? they are starting another. They are replacing the engine harness and the reverse module and the relays and I guess anything else they can throw at it. Looks as if the service manager at my dealership has been let go as well. I think my boat is one of several he was ignoring. I hope I get to use this boat finally without ending adrift.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
After continuous emails to SCARAB's website email link..... they called me today. Although they sent a tech to work on this boat back in June. somehow the work ticket case file was lost? they are starting another. They are replacing the engine harness and the reverse module and the relays and I guess anything else they can throw at it. Looks as if the service manager at my dealership has been let go as well. I think my boat is one of several he was ignoring. I hope I get to use this boat finally without ending adrift.
That's great news! Please share his findings as this WILL help others. Glad they're finally doing something.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Glad your getting help, but honestly, I would've been threatening a buy back by now. I hope they get you straightened out for the next season.