• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Slingshot Foils

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Slingshot just released their 2019 foil line. New look, improved design, additional wings...

Last edited:

brddog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For those of you with a foil this Summer do you still like it? It is a large dollar purchase, but looks like a blast. Can the Slingshot double as a wake surf board with the foil removed?

RenoJetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Little delayed here, but I bought the Slingshot foil board, which will definitely double as a wake surfer or kiteboard too. The fins are toolless, which makes for easy install and removal. A couple things on the foil.
1. The 15” learning mast is ok, but you will soon want the 24”.
2. There is a learning curve and you will have some awesome crashes at first.
3. Installing the mast to the board isn’t hard, but does take some time. Going back and forth from foil to wakesurf a bunch would get old.
4. The racks on our 212x hold the board just fine with the foil installed (24” mast).
5. Spend some time learning with a full length rope before you jump into the wake.

That all said, we are now starting to ride rope-less behind the 212x with zero ballast added and no wake shaper. Just a few adults and kids on the boat and going about 12-13mph seems to be a sweet spot. I imagine a bigger wake would make it even easier. But as we are getting more comfortable on the foil, surfing with just about any wake is becoming a reality. Oh, I do plan on getting a second beginner style wake surf board too. Just so I’m not constantly installing and removing the foil. Hope this all helps!

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@RenoJetter Do you know exactly which wings you have? And how much does the heaviest rider weigh that can go ropeless?

RenoJetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the H2 front wing. I imagine it would hold up a heavy rider just fine, but you'd likely need to go faster or just have a better wave. I'm about 155lbs and my brother is 170lbs. What I'm figuring out is that you can ride a lot more on this foil than you realize, but it takes practice to get good and find your optimal balance point. So while rider weight will definitely be a factor, I think becoming a good rider is more critical. I'm a fairly solid boarder, kiteboarder, surfer, etc, but the learning curve has been tougher than I thought. But it's still just super fun. I got our from Wakemakers.com and they have lots of experts available that you can call and talk to. They'll help get you the ideal setup!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have loved my foil! I still haven't had all the time I want to try everything... I am able to ride being towed without much trouble and long enough my back leg gets fatigued. Even in some rougher water.

So far I've only been towed using the H5 wing although I have both the H2 and H4 surf wings. I'm disappointed in myself for not having tried them yet. I have attempted wakesurfing with it once, but we had minimal ballast and I was unable to go ropeless. I have one of the new transom bags I've yet to try out, I'd like to try both surfing and surf foiling with it as soon as I can catch a break to get the boat out again...

Like @RenoJetter said, there's a learning curve... I feel like now that I'm getting comfortable doing the one way, I'm ready to give the next configuration a shot.

Last edited:

RenoJetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@spatty99 I'd say to look maybe at the Infinity76 wing (2019 model) might be a good wing for a larger rider. Sounds like that is the one that comes standard on the surf package now. Here is a pick of my brother (170lbs) riding ropeless on the H2 wing. You can see there isn't much of a wake compared to some other boats. Key is just finding that sweet spot, which just takes practice. And like @J-RAD said, lots of adjustments. We moved the mast a couple inches forward and hated the feel compared to moving the mast as far back on the board as possible. Tiny tweaks make huge changes! IMG_1012.JPG Cheers!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think @JDub is also once that needs to be invited to this conversation. He's ropeless foil surfing for some time now. Still having fun with your board?

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, Still lovin it. I have only used my surfboard a hand full of times since I got it. I am always on the foil. I agree with everything above. Riding with a rope was pretty easy for me. I was up and riding the day I got it. I still ride with a rope way out behind the boat when it gets real rough. Surfing has a much steeper learning curve. Once, you find the sweet spot on the wave and get muscle memory working for you its awesome. Nothing like it. When i first started rope less surfing it felt like the wave didn't have enough push, but it was my riding. I can ride with no ballast now. Practice practice practice. You just have to remember you have another variable then with surfing. You can go up and down to keep the foil in the power. You can also pump to gain speed if you get to far back, or come down to slow down. Its super easy to out run the boat. If you have any specific questions just ask. Also I am thinking about getting the infinity 76. I would like to try riding a few waves back. I believe i can with the H2, but haven't tried it yet. However the infinity 76 should help out with pumping and make it easier.

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One more thing I forgot. On the negative side who ever you boat with my unfriend you. You wont want to get off and give them a shot.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My interest in the foil looks like it could be used in semi choppy water at slower speeds. I have been wakeboarding for almost 20 years and by the time the family is ready to go the nice flat water gets choppy . This looks like it gives you the glass water feeling even with chop I did watch someone try it locally but they didn’t get up. How are they in choppy water and what is the speed needed ?

Wake boarding is very sensitive to speed my preference is 18.5 to 19 mph when you get over that our boats plain off and the wake diminishes. Crashing over 20mph gets nasty and painful

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Surfing 10.5 to 12 Riding with a rope depends on which foil. With the H5 13 to 14. With the H2 12 or 13. Its super smooth in the choppy stuff if you ride the taller mast. Unless the chop is taller then the mast. With the rollers it you just go up and down with them. Still super smooth. I believe they have a 36" If you wanna go big. My rope rubs the top of the 242 x Bimini with the 24" mast. Not really an issue if you go ropeless though.

RiverRat86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, Still lovin it. I have only used my surfboard a hand full of times since I got it. I am always on the foil. I agree with everything above. Riding with a rope was pretty easy for me. I was up and riding the day I got it. I still ride with a rope way out behind the boat when it gets real rough. Surfing has a much steeper learning curve. Once, you find the sweet spot on the wave and get muscle memory working for you its awesome. Nothing like it. When i first started rope less surfing it felt like the wave didn't have enough push, but it was my riding. I can ride with no ballast now. Practice practice practice. You just have to remember you have another variable then with surfing. You can go up and down to keep the foil in the power. You can also pump to gain speed if you get to far back, or come down to slow down. Its super easy to out run the boat. If you have any specific questions just ask. Also I am thinking about getting the infinity 76. I would like to try riding a few waves back. I believe i can with the H2, but haven't tried it yet. However the infinity 76 should help out with pumping and make it easier.
So, Jdub, would it be possible to ride ropeless behind an AR 190 without ballasts? Trying to decide whether to invest in ballasts and wakebooster + surf board or just a wake foil. I have been wake surfing behind a friend's boat for 5 years or so.

RenoJetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, Jdub, would it be possible to ride ropeless behind an AR 190 without ballasts? Trying to decide whether to invest in ballasts and wakebooster + surf board or just a wake foil. I have been wake surfing behind a friend's boat for 5 years or so.
I don’t think you would have a problem riding ropeless with the AR190. I ride ropeless with no ballast or wakebooster behind my 212X with zero problems. It doesn’t take much once you learn to pump the board properly. Another tip, learn by starting on the second wake back, not the one right by the boat. So start with a longish rope that puts you onto the second wake and start surfing that. It’s less steep and gives you lots of area to play with. Plus there’s something cool about riding ropeless like 60-70’ behind the boat. I ride about 10-11mph. Good luck!!

RiverRat86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t think you would have a problem riding ropeless with the AR190. I ride ropeless with no ballast or wakebooster behind my 212X with zero problems. It doesn’t take much once you learn to pump the board properly. Another tip, learn by starting on the second wake back, not the one right by the boat. So start with a longish rope that puts you onto the second wake and start surfing that. It’s less steep and gives you lots of area to play with. Plus there’s something cool about riding ropeless like 60-70’ behind the boat. I ride about 10-11mph. Good luck!!
Thanks man...what board/foil are you running?

RenoJetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks man...what board/foil are you running?
2018 Slingshot with the H2 wing on a 24” mast. Don’t even try the 15” mast, it’s a waste of time. The 2019 and 2020 boards have even better wing options, like the 76cm or larger wings. And can’t stress enough how much easier it is on second wake back. See attached pic for reference on distance.

Attachments